Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Noel
New Member!
Female 

24-02-2011, 06:59 PM

Crate training schedule transitioning

I have had my boxer mix for about a 6 weeks. She is now 16 weeks old. I have been crate training her to housebreak her. She has been sleeping through the night so that's not a problem. I have been taking her out every 3 hours during the day and feeding her 3 times a day: 8am, 2pm, 5 pm. She eats well but her stool is soft. But that's another issue. Her stool has been checked for worms and giardia all negative. Anyway, how do I transition her where I'm not taking her outside 7 times a day? Or is it still necessary at this age? I am leaving her outside the crate longer as long as she doesn't have anaccident which she hasn't had in over week.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-02-2011, 07:10 PM
Forgive me if I`ve got the wrong end of the stick - but are you saying your dog is in a crate all day and night? Apart from when you take her out to toilet?
Surely not.
Noel
New Member!
Female 

24-02-2011, 07:54 PM
No not at all. Whenever I take her out she has an hour of playtime and at least once a day a structured walk. So I am extending her time out of the crate slowly so she will be out of the crate all the time and housebroken. But I'm not sure how often I should take her out to pee. Every time I take her out of the crate, which is around 7 times a day with an hour of play, I take her outside to pee. Do I start to reduce the number of times I take her outside to pee? Is there a time where I can take her out of the crate and not go outside?
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-02-2011, 08:15 PM
Originally Posted by Noel View Post
No not at all. Whenever I take her out she has an hour of playtime and at least once a day a structured walk. So I am extending her time out of the crate slowly so she will be out of the crate all the time and housebroken. But I'm not sure how often I should take her out to pee. Every time I take her out of the crate, which is around 7 times a day with an hour of play, I take her outside to pee. Do I start to reduce the number of times I take her outside to pee? Is there a time where I can take her out of the crate and not go outside?
I'm still confused how your using the crates as I dont use them for house training but for quiet time, and sleeping.
I'm not sure why you'd want to keep a dog in a crate for these lenghts of time. If you leave the pup out of the craet you soon get an idea of when they need a wee etc usually they put there nose to the ground and start shuffling.
As a rule of thumb I let a pup out at that age every hr and go out with them and plenty of praise with a trigger word they associate with being go, eventually all mine wee on command.
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-02-2011, 08:23 PM
I have a 16 week old pup. He sleeps in his crate at night or when I am out of the house for about a couple of hours. He is clean and dry overnight and has been for about three weeks now.If I am in the house he is out of the crate and with me. I watch him for his natural signs and signals and take him out then. He is now going to the door to tell me when he needs to go. We have maybe one accident a day(wee only).

If he has not been out for a while then I will take him out.

I do not use the crate to housetrain though, just as a secure den for when I need him in there.

I hope that has helped a little?
Noel
New Member!
Female 

24-02-2011, 08:57 PM
My understanding is that you can use the crate to housebreak a dog by the fact that they will not want to mess in their den. Therefore with the confinement(not all day but strategically used) the puplearns to hold it for longer periods of time. My ultimate goal is to have her out all day but confine at night until she is an adult. She really rarely has had an accident this way.
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-02-2011, 09:09 PM
My understanding is that you can use the crate to housebreak a dog by the fact that they will not want to mess in their den. Therefore with the confinement(not all day but strategically used) the puplearns to hold it for longer periods of time. My ultimate goal is to have her out all day but confine at night until she is an adult. She really rarely has had an accident this way.

This is what I have achieved with my 16 week old pup but he is not in the crate so I don't see what advantage it gives? I only crate to keep him safe when I am not around.

Surely the dog has to learn to give signals and let you know rather than merely waiting to be let out of the crate and taken outside before he/she can go?

However back to your question about a 16 week pup needing to go out 7 times a day.....yes.In a 12 hour period that would be about right!
Dawes Paws
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-02-2011, 10:31 PM
Would agree with Whats already been said. Unless overnight i never leave any dog in a crate for more than four hours at a time. Just watch for signs as has been said and get her out of the crate
Noel
New Member!
Female 

24-02-2011, 11:26 PM
I don't even leave her in the crate for 3 hours. Only 2. Anyway, I got my information from the My Smart Puppy people. There is a housebreaking section in the book and they have a website and message board. They appear to be reputable. Please tell me if I'm wrong.
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-02-2011, 11:45 PM
I don't even leave her in the crate for 3 hours. Only 2. Anyway, I got my information from the My Smart Puppy people. There is a housebreaking section in the book and they have a website and message board. They appear to be reputable. Please tell me if I'm wrong.
I think this may be a continent divide.Most people in Uk (where most members are from on here) would use a crate pretty much the same way as has been talked about on this thread.

I am not sure The smart puppy people are even over here so their methods would not be very well known.

Have a read of this article and it will pretty much explain how the majority of people view crate training on here.

http://www.dogsey.com/dog-articles.php?t=15552

This one on toilet training may also explain further what people have been talking about.

http://www.dogsey.com/dog-articles.php?t=8974

It will be fun to share experiences by the way as our pups are the same age !
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >