View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-11-2009, 06:23 PM
I know a lady with an Akita x Border Collie that's the spitting image of your dog! As Dawn says, the Canaan is a rare breed and all dogs will be accounted for. I think it's likely that you have an Akita x. He's a lovely looking dog!
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

13-11-2009, 06:26 PM
the one we had in training was a canaan x akita

i didnt want to say akita though, as i thought the photo wasnt exaclty the same as our dog in training, but on closer inspection, they could be the same?
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-11-2009, 06:45 PM
Originally Posted by LisaBuk View Post
thank you for saying he looks like one, I have found that there are people who think they know more than they do. How can the say he does not look like one. He looks a cross GSD and maybe a Husky and perhaps even more but I think a canaan is also a good look alike. Thank you for noting his looks. You seem to to know what you see.
you seem to be getting very defensive that people don’t agree with you, at the end of the day, you don’t (and never will) know 100% what he is. When I got my jake, I was just told he was a crossbreed, probably BC but I wasn’t told anything else. Now, as he has grown, I am convinced he is BCxGSD, so that’s what I say he is. Some people have thought he is a full BC, weirdest BC I have ever seen if he is. You asked peoples opinions on what they think he is, and so they have done that. you’re not liking the answers but you don’t know what he is, so cant say they are wrong. and in all likelihood, I also doubt he is a Canaan. I have a slight suspicion jake could have basenji in him as well, but I haven’t seen any around here so I doubt he does, just coz im going in the chances of one having an accidental litter to produce my boy. I think the same would be the same for your boy, it could happen but its very very small chance, IMHO.
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-11-2009, 07:41 PM
Can we see some more pics iof Ben?
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-11-2009, 07:57 PM
That is a Canaan dog just to be clear, and I DO have a little experience with them for the record.
muttzrule
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-11-2009, 07:31 AM
It would really help if we had a better picture of your dog to compare side by side with the known Canaans. While I agree just at first blush, he does have a similar look to him, I also agree that it just isn't likely. They are a rare breed and wouldn't be out and about to reproduce willy nilly and end up in shelters.

My last job, I was the adoption coordinator for our local shelter, and we had a couple adopt an adorable little GSD mix. They filled out there paper work, went home (as she had to be spayed before they could take her) and they went to the University of Google to figure out what breed she was. Their conclusion, IBIZAN hound.

What the ****? This dog looked nothing like an Ibizan hound. Not the right color or coat type or size or shape at all. They assumed she was Ibizan because she had upright pointy ears and was skinny. I explained to them that lots of dogs have upright pointy ears and she was skinny because she was young and homeless. They would have none of it. They were convinced that they had a pedigree Ibizan hound from the city shelter. Ibizans are very rare and like the Canaan, wouldn't be out and about on the street to breed willy nilly.

Do recognize that people on this forum have years and years of experience with a variety of breeds of dogs and know what they are talking about. Don't miss the forest for the trees.
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-11-2009, 08:40 AM
If you feel your dog is a Canaan dog why not contact the Canaan dog club UK? Send some pictures and explain how and where you came by him and go from there.

It really sounds like you have made up your mind about him already so might be best to contact them.

Either way - he looks like a lovely dog - I hope you enjoy your time with him.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-11-2009, 08:51 AM
Originally Posted by muttzrule View Post
It would really help if we had a better picture of your dog to compare side by side with the known Canaans. While I agree just at first blush, he does have a similar look to him, I also agree that it just isn't likely. They are a rare breed and wouldn't be out and about to reproduce willy nilly and end up in shelters.

My last job, I was the adoption coordinator for our local shelter, and we had a couple adopt an adorable little GSD mix. They filled out there paper work, went home (as she had to be spayed before they could take her) and they went to the University of Google to figure out what breed she was. Their conclusion, IBIZAN hound.

What the ****? This dog looked nothing like an Ibizan hound. Not the right color or coat type or size or shape at all. They assumed she was Ibizan because she had upright pointy ears and was skinny. I explained to them that lots of dogs have upright pointy ears and she was skinny because she was young and homeless. They would have none of it. They were convinced that they had a pedigree Ibizan hound from the city shelter. Ibizans are very rare and like the Canaan, wouldn't be out and about on the street to breed willy nilly.

Do recognize that people on this forum have years and years of experience with a variety of breeds of dogs and know what they are talking about. Don't miss the forest for the trees.
The thing is MR, she isnt listening, the dog must be a Canaan for some weird reason.

In 2006 there were just 22 Canaan dogs registered in the UK, that may only consist of 2 or 3 litters, in 2007 there were only 13 registered, so possibly only one litter, or two maybe. Its virtually impossible for one to be in rescue and a youngster, too, even a cross Canaan.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-12-2009, 08:52 PM
I would say this is a pure Canaan. It is 12 years at least since I had anything to do with the breed, but we came very, very close to getting one. In the end, we decided to run with the wolf cross idea - we loved the Canaan, thought the breed was fabulous, but at the time our daughter was very young, around 8 years old, and the Canaan has a very strong guardig instinct and the males (we wanted a male) can be very assertive with other males. We did a huge amount of research on the Canaan, and I would say the picture that Lisa has posted is a pure Canaan. Beautiful isn't he !!
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-12-2009, 09:08 PM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
I would say this is a pure Canaan. It is 12 years at least since I had anything to do with the breed, but we came very, very close to getting one. In the end, we decided to run with the wolf cross idea - we loved the Canaan, thought the breed was fabulous, but at the time our daughter was very young, around 8 years old, and the Canaan has a very strong guardig instinct and the males (we wanted a male) can be very assertive with other males. We did a huge amount of research on the Canaan, and I would say the picture that Lisa has posted is a pure Canaan. Beautiful isn't he !!
Thats because it is Gnasher. None of the pictures are of her dog!
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >