Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Pickalilly
Dogsey Junior
Female 

22-02-2011, 07:56 PM

Worked Perfectly For My Minis!

My two four year old Mini Schnauzers, Pippa and Henry, are very well behaved now but were not always. When they turned one, they went mental every time the door sounded or a new person entered the house. They barked, jumped up, play-bit, ran around. . .it was quite a ghastly site. This method worked for me to turn them into perfect angels. (Note, to do this, you need to be confident you can deal with any trouble between your dogs, possibly even aggression early on).

Imagine the doorbell rings and your dogs run excitedly up to the door, hurling themselves at it. Walk slowly towards them, with a confident posture. Ease your way in front of them. Face them and make a 'ch' sound without raising your voice too much. Put your arms out in a circular motion to block them from the door. Claim that space - you don't want the in it. Turn your back - if they start jumping up again, do the same (facing them). Carry this on until they do not automatically run to the door. You can use this for stopping them jumping up at you, furniture or other people.

Don't worry about being too harsh - the relationship you want with your dogs is one of respect and enjoyment - not one of bad behavour or mollycoddling on your side.

Note, I am experienced with dog training, and have found not to do this with large, powerful Bull-Type breeds unless you feel totally in control.

Hope it helps!!!

Please let me know if you think it is a good post!
Crysania
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-02-2011, 09:29 PM
Um no.

And yeah, I do worry about being too harsh with my dog. There's no reason to use any sort of harsh training with your dogs. I prefer my relationship to be one of enjoyment and positivity, not harshness and aggression.
Dawes Paws
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-02-2011, 10:33 PM
Originally Posted by Crysania View Post
Um no.

And yeah, I do worry about being too harsh with my dog. There's no reason to use any sort of harsh training with your dogs. I prefer my relationship to be one of enjoyment and positivity, not harshness and aggression.

well that was straight to the point lol
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-02-2011, 10:46 PM
Sorry I disagree with this
1st I like a method I could use on any size of dog - that anyone could use
I also dont like it having to rely on you always being there
- you are telling them what you dont like but not what behaviour you DO like so thats a bit unfair

Also your tone when writing that I dont like, suggesting if we dont force our dogs to respect us we are molly coddling them
There are plenty of alternatives

and I very much dont consider it acceptable to rish agression in training.

I am also confused - you say it worked for your mini pins - but your profile talks about much larger dogs - what method did you use for them?
Crysania
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-02-2011, 10:49 PM
Originally Posted by Dawes Paws View Post
well that was straight to the point lol

LOL I figured no need to beat around the bush.
Motley
Dogsey Junior
Female 

22-02-2011, 11:08 PM
shouldnt a good training method work on all dogs? even evil nasty bull breeds?
Pickalilly
Dogsey Junior
Female 

23-02-2011, 06:34 PM
I am very embarrassed about this post - it gives me the profile of someone I really am not, especially around dogs and animals. I adore my Mini Schnauzers, and completely spoil them. I treat them very gently, but make sure I train them well so they enjoy the rest of their long lives with a stable relationship with people. When I wrote this, I honestly was not thinking about the tone. When I look back, it sounds harsh, formiddable and not very pet-friendly. My apologies!

The dogs in listed in my profile are not all ones I have owned myself - I have owned a lab and spaniels but definitely not Staffs or Mastiffs! Those were dogs I have been exposed to a lot. By my thought of the method not working on Bull-Breeds, I meant that if I owned one that was quite untrained as to constantly jump up and playbite, I would probably consult an extremely experienced trainer to make it easier.

I am not by any means as cruel as that, as I absolutely love my animals.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-02-2011, 07:15 PM
...has someone been watching C.M perchance
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-02-2011, 07:21 PM
I`ve trained my dogs to go into my front room when the doorbell goes. I shut the door, they are quiet, I answer the door. If it`s a friend, I let them out.
No arm waving required.
Pickalilly
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-02-2011, 06:44 PM
Yes, I am sure there are better ways than what I suggested!

I used to have a beautiful black lab called Woody until he passed away four years ago due to old age. I was destraught. He was 13 years old and very well trained. I hired a really good trainer and she turned my little guy into the most easy-going, gentle, fun and friendly dog you could ever imaging. I miss him so much.

At the same time as Woody, I also had two Cocker Spaniels called Sammy and Lola, who were both so sweet and characteristic. Sammy died at the age of 13 due to a mixture or hip displaysia and old age, and Lola died at 14 due to old age and grieving for Sammy and Woody. It is a very sad story to revisit for me.

After these deaths in the space of two years (I got Woody, Lola and Sammy at the same age), I was so empty. It was when I saw some Mini Schnauzers on the computer, I decided to research into them. I found a breeder and before I knew it, I had bought home little 8 week old Pippa and Henry.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >