View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2018, 10:59 AM
Ah good luck with him Would love to see a pictrue of him if possible. Out of interest did you get to see the parents?
fluffy1893
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-02-2018, 01:51 PM
I've added a picture of him to my profile. We did get to see the parents and where he lived. Wouldn't have gotten him if we couldn't have. Mother was solid black and weighed about 80 pounds (36 kilos) and the father was black and tan and weighed about 90 pounds (40 kilos). He was the biggest of the litter so we expect him to be quite big as well.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2018, 03:02 PM
He looks cute!
CaroleC
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-02-2018, 04:03 PM
Best Wishes. He looks a nice puppy.
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

09-02-2018, 04:04 PM
Originally Posted by CaroleC View Post
I hear that £200 is a typical donation for a rescue dog in the UK. I'm not sure of the exchange rate, but I'm sure that rearing a 7/8 GSD to 14 weeks for $300 will not exactly make the breeder a fortune, and I would imagine that the reason that they are not vaccinated is probably that she has no money left to vaccinate them.
It's about £170 sterling.
We paid £130 for our rescue. That included being checked by their vet, his shots, being tagged and having two home visits, one before and one after we got him to make sure we were suitable potential owners for the dog and to ensure he was being properly cared for.

But a couple of other points. Our rescue centre is less than 20 minutes away so home visits are local. I can't see yours doing that if they are two and a half hours away.

This mainly to CaroleC. The OP says it is a 14 week old rescue. That rather infers it was not there from birth. Ours was a year old but had been in the rescue centre for only two-and-a-half weeks.
fluffy1893
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-02-2018, 05:00 PM
They litter was there since birth. This woman doesn't run a shelter, but lives on a small hobby farm. She said that she often has animals dropped off in her barn in the night. The mother and father dogs were in the barn one morning and I guess the pups came a few weeks after. The litter was 9 pups, plus the 2 parents. There is still 1 pup left, plus the father. She has found homes for the rest of the pups, including the mother dog. I did not mean to ruffle any feathers by asking about the price. It really just seemed like a lot of money to me for a dog with no vaccines. It all ended well though because he is happy and doing well.
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

09-02-2018, 05:44 PM
Originally Posted by fluffy1893 View Post
They litter was there since birth. This woman doesn't run a shelter, but lives on a small hobby farm. She said that she often has animals dropped off in her barn in the night. The mother and father dogs were in the barn one morning and I guess the pups came a few weeks after. The litter was 9 pups, plus the 2 parents. There is still 1 pup left, plus the father. She has found homes for the rest of the pups, including the mother dog. I did not mean to ruffle any feathers by asking about the price. It really just seemed like a lot of money to me for a dog with no vaccines. It all ended well though because he is happy and doing well.
Good result. Just thought the rescue centre being an hour and a half away had some bearing on the tale. Looking back I can see I was wrong and, for that, I apologise.
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2018, 05:45 PM
Aw he's lovely. Love his name. Was mum the lab?
fluffy1893
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-02-2018, 07:19 PM
Both Mum and Dad were described as shepherd lab crosses. Dad looked like a full shepherd when we saw him. Mum looked like a shepherd. but had the black lab colour and coat. Of course, the woman has no way of knowing 100% so Shepherd Lab mix was her best guess, but I think it is pretty accurate.
Bulldogs4Life
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-02-2018, 05:00 AM
Originally Posted by fluffy1893 View Post
Ok...so here is what she responded with, when I asked her about negotiating on price. Keep in mind I asked about negotiating because it is the ideal mix of breeds we are looking for, and the temperament matches our needs:

You need to look online on Ontario wide kijiji and be aware of the prices of puppies. It is not unusual but the norm to see the prices of several mixes of a pup to be $500 plus, with or without shots. These particular pups were listed and sold at $600 back at xmastime. The leftovers are going for $350 now. Also keep in mind that they are almost pure shepherd with just a little lab thrown in.
If you want vaccine and neutering for this price you need to go see rescues or the humane society but there is not much selection there, esp. at humsoc's. I think they're getting in the dogs and turning them over to rescues immediately so that they can say they had x amount of dogs in their care---except they cared for them a few scant hours. Producing these numbers, they get their funding this way from the city and Ont. govt....--though they claim they dont get it and rely on voluntary donations...but they do get funding. SPCA are well known for their lies that they tell the public.
The lowest I will go on these last 2 remaining pups is $300. My ad will be expiring any day now but I"ll be putting it up again til they're gone.
When did you ask about neuter? I'd run far away from this person. The puppy should be fully vaccinated at this age - have had at least 3 vaccines. The lady is full of poo! What kind of person can't be bothered to vaccinate. Do you really want to pay $350 and the pup ends up with parvo? Don't support a byb.
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >