Our sister sites
Our sister sites
gordon lover
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-06-2004, 08:04 PM

Should I or Shouldn't I

I've just worked out the dates.

Penny would be going into the show ring on the 4th of July. That means she would be on either the fourteenth, thirteenth, or fifteenth (I only caught some blood yesterday) day of her season. I've just learned where the show will be, so she would be able to stay in the car until we go in the ring. She would be going into the ring second and that's if there are any other male Gordons competing, which there may not be.

What do you think I should do?
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

23-06-2004, 09:49 PM
Can you not get some kind of odour-masking stuff for in season bitches? I do not show so cannot answer your question, but if I did compete, and had a male who became distracted by the scent of a bitch, I imagine I would not be best pleased
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-06-2004, 06:16 AM
The chances are she will be at her most receptive at the time and not only would it upset both dogs and bitches you may have a problem keeping dogs off her, you also have the problem that she will be open to infection, it may only be a slight risk but all bitches with womb infection will have picked it up somewhere and being mid-season must make her very venerable and you very unpopular. If you are that desperate to go to the show the vet can give an injection to postpone the season.
gordon lover
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-06-2004, 09:42 AM
I've just been on the phone to my vet to make an appointment for Tamino's rabies vaccination, and I asked him about the injection. He said to bring her along anyway, and he will explain the pros and cons of it, then we can decide what to do.

So we're off to the vet's tomorrow at 4:00 P.M.

Thanks Thordell.
gordon lover
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-06-2004, 09:55 AM
Just checked her again. The swelling has gone down and she's not bleeding. What does that mean?
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-06-2004, 11:14 AM
Stopped bleeding – soon ready to mate
Swelling gone down - do you mean she is now soft and not tense, if so – soon ready to mate.
gordon lover
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-06-2004, 11:16 AM
She's bleeding again, she only stopped for about an hour. She's spotting everywhere now.
gordon lover
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-06-2004, 03:56 PM
The news.

The vet says that if he gives her this injection, there is a 50% chance of her getting pyro. So I decided against it.

What he said to do was to watch her, and if she seems to be coming out of season, to bath her the day before and and spray a deterrant on her. And to try it that way.

Maybe I'll do that, I haven't decided yet.
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-06-2004, 07:20 PM
Hello

I have a bitch and wouldn't take her to a show in season. Karen
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2004, 07:28 AM
Sorry Kate, there is no way your bitch will be at the end of her season on day 13 or 14, she will be at her most receptive. Even if the blood stops that is the sign in some bitches that they are ready for matting. Surprised to hear your vet says that she has a 50% chance of Pyro, is that above and beyond the chance of getting it anyway should you take her out and about whilst she is in season.

There is no way I would have the injection by the way but I would not take an in-season bitch to a show either out of courtesy to my fellow exhibitors and also for the sake of the bitches health.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >