Our sister sites
Our sister sites
mikeythered
New Member!
Male 

07-07-2012, 11:37 AM

Holidays in Cornwall

Hi everyone

This is my first posting, we are off to St.Ives in Cornwall in August.

I was wondering about any information that anyone could help with ( beaches and pubs etc ).

Many thanks

mikeythered
carreksmum
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-07-2012, 11:43 AM
Hi, I live in St Austell and I have to tell you that St Ives will be packed in August as is most of Cornwall! Getting a car around in St Ives itself isn't easy as the roads are very narrow and holiday makers have to walk in the roads as the pavements are so packed! Hope I haven't put you off. There are a load of places to eat and drink, too many to go into detail. I hope that you'll be able to get out and about to explore all the beautiful beaches we have down here. Have a great holiday. We have an advert on this forum for our dog friendly cottage on the edge of Bodmin Moor which might interest you for next year.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2012, 05:13 PM
No dogs on beaches at St Ives, but can go on parts of Gwithian which is closeish. Falmouth beach is out but town is very dog friendly including some cafes. Watersports centre is a good place to eat lunch.

rune
rossi roo
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-07-2012, 07:29 PM
Hi porth kidney beach is dog friendly all year round , the salt bar near Hayle will let you take your dog in with you they are very friendly ,hope you have a great holiday Petrina
Polarbear2008
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-07-2012, 08:13 PM
Perranporth beach is a fantastic place to take your dog (I think it's dog friendly all year ) along with the Watering Hole on the beach at Perranporth which is also dog friendly. You could try the Tinners Arms at Zennor for food - great food both at lunch time and for dinner; we went three times...; the coastal path around there is a fab place for scenic walks - we did it last year, we stayed in Mulfra, just outside St Ives and walked across the moors over to Zennor.
We also did a lovely coast path walk from St Just to Cape Cornwall and had a scone and cup of tea from a little caravan at the Cape. It was a glorious day and Bailiie loved it, we all did and we met donkeys too....

A little bit of info about it is below and the website too...

Walk - A Twirl of the Cape

START St Just, Market Square
FINISH St Just, Market SquareLENGTH4.8 miles (7.7km)
SUMMARY
This walk starts and finishes in the old mining town of St Just. It passes through an area once heavily mined for tin and copper, passing a number of historic mining sites, and then along the coast to the major landmark of Cape Cornwall. It then continues along the coast past an important prehistoric site before returning to St Just.
This walk is particularly good for dogs as it passes a beach and pubs where dogs are welcome.

DIFFICULTY ModerateTERRAIN
Mostly lanes and good tracks and paths; a few gradients, one or two a little steep.

http://www.southwestcoastpath.com/walksdb/203/#

We are off to St Agnes this time for a change. We had a fab time last year, hope you do too. Happy holidays....
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2012, 08:33 PM
Perranporth on lead in August during the day.

rune
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

07-07-2012, 08:41 PM
Is Cornwell still busy in the winter months ?
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2012, 08:53 PM
Not usually, places like St Ives are pretty busy any time and Mousehole at Christmas is heaving but lovely. Avoiding half term is usually a good idea.

You thinking of visiting then?

rune
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

07-07-2012, 08:55 PM
Another members advert has made me think ..lol
Paxtonpup
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-07-2012, 09:46 PM
There are maps on this site that show the dog friendly beaches and those with partial bans www.thecornishcoast.co.uk
I love st Ives although it is usually packed in the summer (if we ever get 1!!) I hope you have a fantastic holiday tho, Paxton loves nothing more than a good run on the beach.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >