Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2009, 04:22 PM

Pedigree Vs Crossbreed health benefits

Inspired by KCJack losing 2 peds in 1 year I've been thinking.

Why are crossbreeds more likely to live longer and healthier lives?

Also, if that is the case then why are there so many crossbred ''breeds'' (NI etc) with known health problems? they're cross bred aren't they?

Also, aren't all dogs cross bred at some point? I heard there is BC in ESS' long time ago.

I have lots of questions and thoughts in my head. I must go and clear them with a nice walk and a pint in the pub I think. Back later to see if you've all helped me. ;o)
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2009, 04:30 PM
These days I wouldn't say one is healthier than the other, IMO. I bought into that whole hybrid vigour thing myself, but now I think that there are problems with dogs in general, not just pedigrees. My mum lost her bcxjrt to cancer at age 9 and my friend has a cross (poss bcxterrier type) who has severe hd at 1 year old. I have a friend who's Lab dies aged 1 from liver failure and she got another Lab from same breeder who now has elbow dysplacia, and this breeder does health test and none of her other dogs have ever had these conditions. Sometimes it's just plain bad luck.
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2009, 04:47 PM
I think it's badly bred dogs that have the problems. Most crossbreeds are born because two dogs mated on their own (rather than put together by breeders etc) so maybe there's less chance of inbreeding/knowingly breeding from dogs with genetic conditions etc.
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2009, 04:49 PM
It varies so much I don't think you can say one is healthier than the other anymore. I've had a very sickly crossbreed and a ultra healthy pedigree, but I'm sure many other people can say the opposite too.

It's all luck of the draw from what I can see (although obviously you can look for certain things to try and avoid being unlucky!), when you cross two pedigrees you'll get some off spring that are never ill and others that are never well and anything inbetween really!

Of course all dog breeds came about from crossing one type of dog with another (it is rumoured that the black colour in Springers comes from some BC's added in way back when?), but in those days those dogs that were deemed unhealthy were generally culled, so it's a bit different now I suppose?
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2009, 05:13 PM
I don't think it applies anymore to be honest.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

02-04-2009, 05:18 PM
Not sure who says Xbreeds are healthier than Pedigrees?

The solution is buying from health tested parents and as many Xbreeds are purposely bred these days.. it stands to reason they will be or could be doubling up on genetic problems.

I have had mongrels, and purebreds all my life, cant say one was healthier than the other, individual dogs all having individual life spans and illness.

Inspired by KCJack losing 2 peds in 1 year I've been thinking.

With respect to KCJack, it would be interesting to know where her dogs came from, whether they came from health tested stock, from reputable breeders.

As the where they come from will have more to do with their health than what they are!!!
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2009, 05:22 PM
I dont think one is more healthy than the other, any dog can be unhealthy.
angelmist
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2009, 05:31 PM
I always thought this was a myth. I mean if the 2 pedigree dogs used have underlying heath problems then surely by crossing them together you gonna end up with crossbreed dogs with a high chance of them having at least some if not all of the health issues the parents have/carry and the ones they aren't affected by they may well be carriers of and so if their then bred may bring those problems back out in their pups.

I therefore honestly don't think it can be said that crossbreeds are healthier.
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2009, 06:05 PM
A wider gene pool, I always thought.
ajshep1984
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-04-2009, 06:11 PM
Originally Posted by Pidge View Post
Why are crossbreeds more likely to live longer and healthier lives?
Genetic diversity.
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 > Last »