Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
jakku
New Member!
Male 

16-08-2017, 11:12 PM

My dog attacked someone and now im having constant panic attacks :(

Hi Im sorry but I dont know what to do my anxiety is through the roof and I havent slept all night because of what happened in fear for my dog.

Basically I have anxiety and I cant leave the house during the day so I take my dogs out a night so nobodys there and my anxiety wont go through the roof, me and my 13 year old sister were taking our teacup yorkie on a walk, my sister stopped because the dog was sniffing at a lampost, I was ahead of her and looking behind when out of nowhere this man barged past her, thinking my sister was in danger the dog bit the man in self defence, although from my perspective it didnt look like a bite it just looked like the dog put his paws on the mans trousers.

My sister apologized and the man got very aggresive shouting right in her face and kicked the dog thankfully the dog got out of the way, the man turned around and saw me and backed of because I was bigger than him even though hes at least twice my age.

We thought nothing of it and thought the situation was over, not even 2 minutes after the man cut me and my sister off and went straight at my sister aggresivly shouting right in her face although he didnt touch her, he claimed the dog made him bleed which I find unlikely since he had trousers on and my dog has never bit anyone before, even then my dog only made contact with him with less than a second before my sister pulled him back, my sister was in tears right now scared mindless, and so was I. I judged this man as a threat by this point and when he demanded for our address I refused and told him come with us to our house and sort it out like an adult he ignored me and went right back to harrasing my sister.

He refused to show us the bite, there was no rips in his trousers to show the dog even bit him in the first place, he continued to harrass my sister, my sister crying her eyes out at this point told him our address to get him to back of, he then said he will be reporting our dog to the police, so I started shouting slurs at him because he wouldnt back off.

Its been a day and the police havent come and neither has he im very anxious about this whole situation I dont want my dog getting put down hes never been violent before this was the first time and I honestly believe it was in self defence because of how close this man got to my sister, Im also scared about the complications that this might land me in some trouble which I honestly believe its not right since all I was doing was defending myself and my little sister when we were being attacked, I never touched the man or went near him since he backed away he was only brave enough to harrass my little sister.
CaroleC
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-08-2017, 11:57 PM
Anxiety is a horrible feeling, and I can understand why you are worried, but the odds are that you will not hear any more about this. Either way, what's done is done, and worrying won't change it. When you have calmed down, think clearly and write down all the details that you can remember. Keep this safe just in case the police do contact you. You say there was no mark on the man's clothing, so logically, is a fully adult male going to bother showing what can only be a graze to the police? He sounds as if he was fuelled by anger at the time, but he has probably calmed down by now.
Last year one of my dogs chased a bicycle which appeared suddenly where paths converge in a country park. He caught the teenager's leg - no blood, just a mark. I apologised profusely, but fully expected to hear from his parents. I felt sick for two days, but nothing happened. I just try to be extra careful now.
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-08-2017, 08:56 AM
Wise words from CaroleC there.
I wouldn't be surprised if he was drunk

Welcome to Dogsey and try not to worry x
tumbleweed
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

17-08-2017, 08:56 AM
Why didn't you call the police at the time? you were under attack verbally at least and I suspect he would have been arrested for threatening behavour.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-08-2017, 03:12 PM
To be honest, I doubt a grown man will report an incident with a teacup Yorkie. That said, do as Carole says and also try to keep out of the man's way. I doubt you'd get more than a warning bearing in mind the size of your dog even if it was reported, but these days, you never can tell.

Worry and fear are often worse than what eventually happens so try not to fear the worst until the worst actually happens because more often than not, it doesn't happen at all
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

17-08-2017, 04:44 PM
Originally Posted by tumbleweed View Post
Why didn't you call the police at the time? you were under attack verbally at least and I suspect he would have been arrested for threatening behavour.
Yes I was wondering that. You don't say how old you are but one assumes you're little sister is a child and at night a strange man shouting and swearing at her is something that the Police should know about.

What might have happened if she had been alone doesn't bear thinking about.

Carol is correct, take the time to write down a few notes, if you can remember, who said what to whom etc.

Finally I can assure you that a dog very rarely bites hard enough to break the skin. They all have different levels of 'closure' (of jaws across other dog / man) but non dog owners don't understand this and worse they are ever ready to equate a dog with a human, believe me one is far more intelligent than the other.

I'll leave you to work out which is which.

Please don't worry, keep talking to your sister, tell her it'll all be OK.
Woodle
New Member!
Female 

23-08-2017, 06:08 PM
What a horrible thing to happen, some people are just really nasty and think they can have a go at who and what ever they like, and if you stand up to them it's your fault all round. I'd stop stressing over this and get on with your life, if this bloke was going to do anything he'd have done it by now. Your dog was only protecting your sister, give him a hug from me...
PizzaPrincess
New Member!
Female 

27-01-2018, 07:13 PM
Your dog probably sensed that he was a nasty piece of work too!

Anxiety is awful, I hope you are getting some help for it