View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
origosoh
New Member!
Female 

20-11-2015, 12:04 PM

Zoomies! Looking for others' thoughts :)

Hi, I've only done agility at a basic level, but wanted others' thoughts. I took on a rescued street dog and promptly started agility with her as a confidence builder...it took a while for her to understand what was going on, but she now loves training.

Main issue nowadays is that she loves it so much, she will launch into the zoomies frequently at training, just out of sheer enjoyment...she will hurtle round, doing her own choice of obstacles and returning when she's calmed down. I love seeing her enjoy herself, and if she does this forever it's no big deal...but wondered if there were any thoughts on reducing the behaviour, while maintaining the fun. She can do it at any point, including waiting on the start line. I currently keep a high value treat in the hand, as it is necessary at this stage...however the value of the treat is irrelevant when she takes off.

My thoughts have been to reward more frequently, stopping after every obstacle if necessary, and at the end reward with a release to run...but worried about reducing the enjoyment if I slow her right down, and wanted to see what others thought. She has zero interest in toys, despite trying, and she is 9 years old (only does low jumps).
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-11-2015, 10:23 PM
Encourage her to do zoomies before you do a complete circuit under control. Put a word to it to signal to her that she can do it. It is a sort of reverse psychology if you like. Hope you understand what I mean.
origosoh
New Member!
Female 

22-11-2015, 07:22 AM
Hadn't even thought of putting in on cue! Suppose initially that would mean capturing it when she does it...could be in the garden, could be on the course...but sounds like it could be worth a try thanks If I wind her up enough I could probably trigger the behaviour in the garden, which would help. Even if it doesn't prevent the behaviour while running the course, it would be an amusing trick!!
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-11-2015, 08:29 AM
All dogs do things so putting a cue or word to it means they can do it when you say so and then they enjoy it even more. Good Luck with her. Enjoy the moment.