Our sister sites
Our sister sites
jimbean
New Member!
Male 

19-02-2018, 09:20 PM

Dog Puking Fresh Blood

Hi,

I have a toy schnauzer and he has periodically been puking up fresh blood.

I went too the vet and they made no big deal of it, took some x rays and found nothing. Gave him some medicine and sent us on our way.

At this point I can't even remember if the medicine worked or not.

Every couple days he has been puking and not every time but most times there is fresh blood. He is perfectly fine and acting normal.

Not sure what to try or do.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-02-2018, 09:21 PM
Personally, I'd have him checked by another vet.

How old is he?
jimbean
New Member!
Male 

19-02-2018, 09:26 PM
he is 2 years old
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-02-2018, 10:04 PM
It would certainly worry me enough to want another opinion
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

19-02-2018, 10:34 PM
Hi does your dog retch when vomiting, if so he could be bursting a blood vessel with the effort.

Does it happen at the same time each day, is he vomiting food or bile. If the latter he could have bilious dog syndrome so when his tummy gets empty he vomits bile.
The solution to that is to feed little and often so the stomach is not empty for long periods say 4 small meals a day of good quality food.

Was the medication something like omeprazole a proton pump inhibitors to decreases the amount of acid produced in the stomach.
jimbean
New Member!
Male 

20-02-2018, 12:43 AM
Originally Posted by Meg View Post
Hi does your dog retch when vomiting, if so he could be bursting a blood vessel with the effort.

Does it happen at the same time each day, is he vomiting food or bile. If the latter he could have bilious dog syndrome so when his tummy gets empty he vomits bile.
The solution to that is to feed little and often so the stomach is not empty for long periods say 4 small meals a day of good quality food.

Was the medication something like omeprazole a proton pump inhibitors to decreases the amount of acid produced in the stomach.
It was 2 pills and some white liquid that I gave him with syringe.

Usually his stomach is empty when he pukes and it is bile with fresh blood. Bright Bright red.

There is noises of retching. I usually hear and and grab him and run to the shower for an e z clean up.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

20-02-2018, 11:53 AM
Originally Posted by jimbean View Post
It was 2 pills and some white liquid that I gave him with syringe.

Usually his stomach is empty when he pukes and it is bile with fresh blood. Bright Bright red.

There is noises of retching. I usually hear and and grab him and run to the shower for an e z clean up.
Hi Jimbean, the fact your dog is fit and well in every way indicates there probably isn't something sinister going on .
Bright red sounds like fresh blood from the top of the digestive tract and it also sounds like a ruptured blood vessel. Try feeding 4 small meals a day of a good quality food with a minimum of additives and see if that helps. If you can stop the vomiting the problem should go away.
You are in the USA I think, if you are feeding a complete food good ones over there is 'Orijen' or 'Acana'.

I would guess the pills were to slow down the acid production and the other stuff was a probiotic like Pro kolin .

As other members have suggested you could also seek the advice of another vet and if you do I would mention bilious dog syndrome though some vets seem not to be aware of it. Mine is.

My Mini Schnauzer (aged 10) has had BDS since she was young. She has to have food ever 6 hours or so or she is liable to vomit bile. Occasionally she does anyway . My vet didn't want to prescribe a lifetime of omeprazole , we gave it a try but it didn't work.

You say..
take care grabbing him , best not to if you can because it might scare or hurt him.
My dog always go to a spot by the kitchen door.
jimbean
New Member!
Male 

20-02-2018, 04:32 PM
Originally Posted by Meg View Post
Hi Jimbean, the fact your dog is fit and well in every way indicates there probably isn't something sinister going on .
Bright red sounds like fresh blood from the top of the digestive tract and it also sounds like a ruptured blood vessel. Try feeding 4 small meals a day of a good quality food with a minimum of additives and see if that helps. If you can stop the vomiting the problem should go away.
You are in the USA I think, if you are feeding a complete food good ones over there is 'Orijen' or 'Acana'.

I would guess the pills were to slow down the acid production and the other stuff was a probiotic like Pro kolin .

As other members have suggested you could also seek the advice of another vet and if you do I would mention bilious dog syndrome though some vets seem not to be aware of it. Mine is.

My Mini Schnauzer (aged 10) has had BDS since she was young. She has to have food ever 6 hours or so or she is liable to vomit bile. Occasionally she does anyway . My vet didn't want to prescribe a lifetime of omeprazole , we gave it a try but it didn't work.

You say..

take care grabbing him , best not to if you can because it might scare or hurt him.
My dog always go to a spot by the kitchen door.
I wish my dog went to the same spot in the kitchen. Pretty much wherever he is sitting at the time he gets the gags is where he pukes.