Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
cfaith
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-11-2014, 03:43 PM

Outside dog, possible?

Hi, single dog, pit mix...seeking info on keeping a dog outside, temporarily.
cfaith
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-11-2014, 03:44 PM
Hello, I'm seeking advice, words of personal experience...anything anybody can offer on the topic of keeping a dog primarily outside in a well insulated kennel for 2 years. I'll try to keep this as short as possible, sorry. My living situation over the next two years will not allow me to have a dog inside. Specifically because my dog, has had serious separation anxiety issues and had been extremely destructive and costly with damage. To spare details, my relationship is on the line. My boy is a 2 year old pit mix who started off life in a bad situation, ended up in a shelter, went to two homes, then returned to shelter. I truly believe his issues were purely trust and not knowing if he had a place to stay for real or not. Now that he is attaching himself to me and appears trusting, the destruction has completely stopped. However, my partner has extreme anxiety and doesn't want him in the newly built house we will be living in as an investment, and then selling in two years. I attempted to rehome him with my best friend, however, she has cats...and we found out he is too interested in cats. Is it possible to keep him in an outdoor kennel for two years? And then transition him back into the home? He would be in the attached garage on extreme temp days and I plan to have him in doggy day care during the working week days. Please know that I'm absolutely heart broken and sick. Rehoming a pitbull is not easy and I refuse to dump him at a shelter where as a pit, he doesn't stand much of a chance. Has anybody ever kept an outside dog? Is it possible? Do you think it's possible to reintroduce him to being inside in two years? I know people have harsh things to say about keeping a dog outside. I'm just so lost and trying to come up with any ideas I can. I live a little southwest of the northern Virginia area. Any advice or personal experience stories are greatly appreciated, please!! Thank you!!
Thalice
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-11-2014, 04:34 PM
Oh my goodness, I really feel for you. I have tried to keep 2 English Setter pups in an outside kennel and run but had to bring them back into the house because the neighbours complained about the barking. Now I bred these 2 and they didnt have any issues but hated being separated....

You are now faced with the problem of a hard to rehome dog with major separation issues and you are planning to separate him even further from yourself just when he was beginning to trust you - I cant see it working. Plus to a dog - 2 years is forever and you cant explain this to him.

How about a trial run living in the house. Can you confine him to an area using metal mesh panels ? Even that is separating him. I hate to suggest it - but would a companion help - how does he get on with other dogs ?

I dont know what else to say.

Hope you resolve matters soon

Thalice's Mum
Jakesmummy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-11-2014, 04:42 PM
Why would u want dog outside .
cfaith
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-11-2014, 05:02 PM
Hi, thank you for your response! The separation anxiety issue has been good for going on three months now...we have not had an incident. But I do worry about going backwards by doing this. Also, knock on wood...he is not a barker. Now that I've said that, he'll magically become one. lol. We currently rent a house on a cattle farm while the new house is being finished. He has a lead in a large area that we put him on while we're outside or inside cleaning, working etc. He loves it outside and we have lots of strangers and farm hands that drive back to our house because a barn is behind us. He never barks at anybody going in and out from back there. The new house is not in a neighborhood either, it's a country road, but there are two neighbors close enough to hear a dog barking. For the most part he will be in doggy day care during the day...I have a place we use already. And in his kennel or garage at night. For now, having him inside the home is not possible...my partner is having serious anxiety over him, as this house is an investment home that we will resell in two years. The investment doesn't just affect us, or it wouldn't be as big of an issue. I am seriously considering getting a love seat and tv and staying in the garage with my dog (mikey). LOL.
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-11-2014, 05:28 PM
Good plan with the love seat and the tv
Its clear you are trying to do your very best for your dog and also trying to keep everyone happy,I feel for you.The thing is you won't know how he'll react Untill you give it a go.Since he's used to being inside,introducing him to the garage first might be best.plus with the Winter coming in,it'll be warm and cosy for him too Who knows he may surprise you and be ok with it.I know you were joking when you mentioned the love seat but spending time with him in the garage,making it really comfortable for you both,might not be a bad idea.At least Untill he gets used to it.
Fingers crossed for you both xx
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-11-2014, 05:43 PM
I really can't see what's wrong with keeping a dog outside.If they are properly housed,warm,safe and get enough exercise,why not?
Currently have a stray dog lodging in my back garden,he's well happy Has his very own shed to sleep in,has the run of the garden and gets out for plenty of walks.Don't think he's ever seen the inside of a house,imagine it would totally freak him out
Lots of dogs live outside,quite happily.Growing up in a house with five brothers and one sister,it was pretty tight room wise.All of our dogs lived outside with no problem
lovemybull
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-11-2014, 06:33 PM
Faith, I know Virginia at this time of the year can go well below freezing. If you're just holding on to a dog as a temporary good deed perhaps you can find help with one of these groups-
http://pitbull.rescueshelter.com/Virginia
They could take the dog into an inside foster or shelter situation and find them a home too win-win.
I really wouldn't keep a bully breed outside, they are much too people dependent as a breed to be out alone. Also their fur tends to be very short. Even in a heated home they get cold easily.
Look into the rescue groups, I'm sure one of them will be glad to help you.
lovemybull
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-11-2014, 06:40 PM
I answered your other post before I read this one. I dunno, as I said Virginia gets darn cold. I do think the idea of sleeping out there with him is a very good one! Then the only challenge is keeping the garage warm enough for both of you. Good luck
cfaith
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-11-2014, 06:42 PM
Originally Posted by Lacey10 View Post
Good plan with the love seat and the tv
Its clear you are trying to do your very best for your dog and also trying to keep everyone happy,I feel for you.The thing is you won't know how he'll react Untill you give it a go.Since he's used to being inside,introducing him to the garage first might be best.plus with the Winter coming in,it'll be warm and cosy for him too Who knows he may surprise you and be ok with it.I know you were joking when you mentioned the love seat but spending time with him in the garage,making it really comfortable for you both,might not be a bad idea.At least Untill he gets used to it.
Fingers crossed for you both xx
Ummm, yeah, lol I wasn't joking. I for real will find a used love seat on craigslist or something and put it in there with a tv. He can use it as a bed when I'm not in there with him. Thank you for your response and for not judging me. This is a really hard decision and I'm just trying to keep everything together.
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 > Last »