View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
MickB
Dogsey Senior
Male 

18-05-2009, 07:23 PM
One or two of the worst backyard breeders in our breed have been KC Accredited Breeders. I'm afraid they have a long way to go before I would consider joining the scheme.

For example I would want strict, enforceable rules - these for a start.

1 - no litters registered unless all breed appropriate health tests carried out with acceptable results.

2 - No more than three litters (per breeder) in any two year period (and personally I still think this is too many)

3 - All puppies to have legally enforceable registration restrictions which the KC will not lift under any circumstances except at the request of the breeder.

4 - No bitch to have more than 3 litters in her lifetime.

5 - No dog to sire a litter until it has reached at least two years of age.

6 - No bitch to be mated until they are at least two years of age or after the age of 7.

7 - No bitch to be mated on successive seasons.

I'm sure I could think of loads more.....

Mick
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-05-2009, 07:28 PM
Mick, just out of interest how do you think we can get these rules enforced?
Navajo
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-05-2009, 07:33 PM
Originally Posted by johnderondon View Post
Thankfully the KC's 'stock' is currently somewhat lower than Icelandic banks so their p1sspoor Accredited Breeder Scam is unlikely to be embraced by government.

It's little more than a puppyfarmer's charter. Woefully inadequate.
We finally agree on something

I've visited several and the dogs and pups were in squaller, I disinfected my footwear before setting foot on home turf and my clothes went straight in the wash!
Louise13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-05-2009, 07:34 PM
Originally Posted by Pidge View Post
No idea, but they should be.

Because of what Louise? I'd be interested to know.
Because they don't DO what they are supposed to...to many litters, consecutive seasons, health tests etc etc..

Just because they are in the accredited breeder scheme..all that means is that they paid to put their name there..filled in a silly form..they may talk the talk but they don't walk the walk!
Navajo
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-05-2009, 07:38 PM
Originally Posted by MickB View Post
6 - No bitch to be mated until they are at least two years of age or after the age of 7.
Mick
I agree with all of your points, but would rather see two and a half, rather than two years of age. I think most two year old dogs are still relatively immature even if they appear physically and mentally mature.
MickB
Dogsey Senior
Male 

18-05-2009, 08:06 PM
Originally Posted by Navajo View Post
I agree with all of your points, but would rather see two and a half, rather than two years of age. I think most two year old dogs are still relatively immature even if they appear physically and mentally mature.
I certainly wouldn't argue over that, although I think that owners of some breeds might suggest that their breeds mature more quickly than others.

Originally Posted by Pidge
Mick, just out of interest how do you think we can get these rules enforced?
I think the KC itself could enforce most of them by simply throwing out and refusing to register the litters of any breeder who infringes them. It might make the KC's ABS more "elitist" but at least the public would know definitely that breeders on the scheme were reputable. At the moment there is no such guarantee.

Mick
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2009, 08:28 AM
Quite simply if the KC were truely concerned about the health of the dogs it registers then it would enforce compulsory health testing for all puppies to be registered. Parents not health tested for whatever is applicable to their breed then no registration.
Becky
cesky2000
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-05-2009, 10:52 AM
Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
But they can't enforce it....

I have had two people duped (for want of a better word) by accredited breeders. Both sold puppies who were older than first stared. Both were first time owners and had done vereything right - contacted vets/KC etc and been pointed towards these Accredited breeders. THey wer sold puppies as 10 and 12 weeks respectively, when the paperwork came through the pups were 18weeks old and had no jabs.
Every puppy sold by an Accredited Breeder goes with a feedback form that should be sent to the KC. If these owners were sold puppies that were wrongly descibed they should have pointed that out on the feedback form. The KC would then have investigated, and if the breeder was found to have deceived them, they would be removed from the ABS.

The KC can only investigate ( and it does) when complaints are made.
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2009, 10:56 AM
No feedback forms were issued.

KC were contacted but stated that the ownes shold have known to look on the paperwork before taking on the dog.
CheekyChihuahua
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2009, 11:17 AM
I looked at joining the AB scheme. After reading it through, I couldn't see it was worth anything. Most good breeders abide by the stipulations to be followed in the scheme, in any case.

There doesn't appear to be any "policing" of the scheme either (to my knowledge). No home visits or anything at all, so I can't see the relevance of it.

I actually spoke to somebody last week who was appalled that they had put a deposit on a Chi with an AB and that Breeder let her down at the last minute (refunding the deposit but leaving the person back to square one in finding a pup). The person was most surprised because she'd gone to an AB to avoid the situation she found herself in.

Like I said, AB doesn't really guarantee anything. Just that the breeder has filled out the form and been accepted as an AB by the KC
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >