Our sister sites
Our sister sites
darasa
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-06-2006, 10:40 PM

Poppy (chi) First training class

Hi all
I decided to take popps to "school" In the hope that it would educate me and help with her sensitivity toward other dogs..
It was GREAT!! So funny, I know it's not meant to be but it just was.. Talk about organised chaos.. it was a begginers class sooo..lots of noise and embaressed owners .. as it was in a hall we were told not to adjust our walking pace to suit our dogs reluctance.. which meant that the hall floor was much cleaner when we left as all our wayward "pups" at one time or another refused to walk .. clearly preffering to polish the floor with their tummies...... heel.. walk...sit.. heel..walk..sit when it came to down ..we came a bit unstuck as I was instructed to guide her down from behind her shoulders which I did her face bumped the floor Then he told me down & side
Poppy was great with all the other dogs.. she just seemed to ignore them I did wonder half way through if maybe she was in shock as it was VERY noisy and doing what she's told first time is a new thing for her!!
My biggest shock came on leaving though.............We walked home through the park it was empty so I let her off.. she ran and ran, up and down, circles around me.. she went further from me than she ever has before.. she ran right off and came back with a stick that she dropped at my feet for a game of fetch!!!!!!
A labrador arrived and she joined it for a game of fetch with it's ball....even though it was too big for her to pick up:smt052 She just seemed so much more confident!!! and still 3 days later she is so much more outgoing in the park!! She does not cower behind my legs any more.. in fact she iniated a game with another dog again today!!!

We are practising what we learnt at "school" and it's all going well.. she actually manged a sit stay today!!! I am so proud of her!

Sorry for the long post

Rachel
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

22-06-2006, 10:56 PM
Hi Darasa it sounds as though Poppy had a really exciting time and her confidence has grown too !Feel exhausted just reading about it
BrandieSnap
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-06-2006, 01:57 AM
Aww, sounds like it was a big success Well done to you and poppy.
I would have loved to see her trying to play with the lab's ball
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

23-06-2006, 02:58 AM
Sounds as though both of you had fun Now that Poppy's confidence has had a boost there will be no holding her back