register for free

Dog News

Should dogs appear on TV talent shows?

...has received 13 comments (page 2)
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-10-2015, 10:56 PM
Nothing we do with dogs is what some would term natural and everything we do with dogs is.

If you subscribe to the 'dogs are wolves' theory, then even keeping them indoors and putting a lead on them is unnatural. I personally believe that dogs have evolved to a point where they 'fit' with us. In other words, they enjoy interacting with us in a number of ways provided they are treated with the respect and joy they so deserve.
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

26-10-2015, 07:45 PM
Given the dog is happy to perform and all animal welfare is ok then I see no problem with it.

Flushing / herding/ retrieving / agility are all acceptable. Not a great deal of difference.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2015, 08:24 PM
Good points from Chris & Phil. I do subscribe to the fact that dogs are essentially wolves, and ipso facto keeping them indoors and putting a lead on them is unnatural. However, you can equally argue that it is unnatural to break and bridle a horse ... both species have "allowed" us as an intelligent mammalian species to "tame" them for our own gain, this is true. I too believe that dogs have evolved to a point where they fit with us, they enjoy pleasing us but I personally feel very strongly that this does not give us the right to make them perform in a way that is unnatural - ie, dancing to music. It is not in my opinion disrespecting the noble wolf in any way to train him to round up sheep, to retrieve shot game, to swim out with nets or to haul them in. Even greyhound racing you can say is fine, although I think it a terrible shame that the poor dog who wins is not allowed to tear that little ****** hare to shreds!!

All these have a purpose, a function, which fits in with what the wild wolf would find natural. Dancing to music to me does not qualify - neither does wearing clothes, neither does performing in a show ring unless it involves some sort of agility or other "natural" behaviour. That's the difference - yes, our dogs have evolved from their natural state, just like we have evolved from our neandethal state, but they deserve to be treated with dignity and respect and not paraded around a ring for beauty's sake or made to perform unnaturally.

There is more to animal welfare than pure welfare - there is quality of life, mental stimulation and one can argue that dancing to music as an example falls into both categories. However, ask any of those gorgeous dogs of Mary Rae's what they would prefer to do and I am sure they would reply that they would rather be herding sheep than dancing on their back legs to music! They do it willingly to please their owner - that is the loyalty of the wolf coming through for their pack leader - but they would still prefer to be doing a function for which they were originally bred.
Rosebud77
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-12-2015, 07:39 AM
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Nothing we do with dogs is what some would term natural and everything we do with dogs is.

If you subscribe to the 'dogs are wolves' theory, then even keeping them indoors and putting a lead on them is unnatural. I personally believe that dogs have evolved to a point where they 'fit' with us. In other words, they enjoy interacting with us in a number of ways provided they are treated with the respect and joy they so deserve.
My thoughts exactly. A dog lives for his person. I see this with my wee dog every day and all day. Joyfully and totally. As did collie; sure she loved sheep watching and car chasing but always back to me. This wee one loves her terrier ways, but they are no contest if I call her. Denying the adaptations dogs have made over the centuries? Actually I see this more with the cats I have now. My home 2 have been with me 10 years. Totally adapted to their indoor life. The new wee feral is a different matter altogether; true ferals are like a different animal. Adding that feral is not a happy or safe life.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Where next?

Dog News Homepage
Latest and popular news, by week, month, year and all-time!

Dog News Forum
Shows dog related news by latest activity

Submit A News Story
Info on how to submit a news story

Latest Dog News...

© Copyright 2016, Dogsey   Contact Us - Dogsey - Top Contact us | Archive | Privacy | Terms of use | Top