register for free

Dog News

Vet students set up clinic for dogs of homeless people

The relationship between a homeless person and their dog can be an exceptionally close one but if you are on the streets, looking after your pet can also be challenging.

In an effort to help with that, a group of fourth-year vet students from Glasgow University has set up a clinic service to provide free vaccinations, micro-chipping, clothing, bedding and more.

"My pal bought him for me," says Michael of his three-year-old Staffordshire Bull Terrier, Giro. The two are sitting in the doorway of a Glasgow bank, sheltering from the rain.

He was named because Michael got him on what he calls a giro day - the day he receives his benefits money.

"My pal asked me what I wanted for Christmas and I said a wee bit of company.
"I know it sounds stupid," he adds with a laugh, "but I just wanted somebody to talk to and the puppy does it for me.

"He just sits there with you and he's dead loyal. I just love him to bits."

Michael has been on the streets on and off since 2005. Sometimes he is able to stay with friends but other times he and Giro end up outdoors. For nights like that they have a routine.

"You just get plenty of cardboard on the ground and a couple of sheets of cardboard over the top of you - a door mat, anything like that, just to put a bit of weight on you and then the dog cuddles up next to me and the two of us are warm as toast."
...[snip]...
The clinics have been held at the advice and information hub of the Glasgow Simon Community. The organisation, which aims to combat the causes and effects of homelessness, is partnering in the Trusty Paws project.

It has meant that, as well as the dogs being helped, the people too are in a place where they can get the support they need.

"Homelessness is an extremely isolating, lonely and frightening experience," says Lorraine McGrath, chief executive at the Glasgow Simon Community.

In such a situation a dog can become really important.

She says: "Basically they become the one constant, the one positive relationship in their lives.

"They give a sense of purpose, a sense of meaning to each day. It's someone for them to care for and to have responsibility for."

She says dogs can make finding accommodation more difficult. Their services do allow them, but others are not able to take them.

Her organisation has dealt with people who have refused offers of somewhere to stay because they have not been able to take their dog with them.

Certainly Michael says he would not move into anywhere without Giro.
"He's everything to me. I would die for him. He's a great wee pup. He's my wee pal. I've got to look out for him as well."
Full article and photographs here...

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-30555546

If only there were more organisations like this one - to help dogs and to help the people that the dogs themselves help.

And all kudos to the wonderful veterinary students.

Your comments and views:
lovemybull
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-01-2015, 05:26 PM
G-d Bless them...what a wonderful service they are providing.

Where next?

Dog News Homepage
Latest and popular news, by week, month, year and all-time!

Dog News Forum
Shows dog related news by latest activity

Submit A News Story
Info on how to submit a news story

Latest Dog News...

© Copyright 2016, Dogsey   Contact Us - Dogsey - Top Contact us | Archive | Privacy | Terms of use | Top