register for free

Dog News

Golden retriever attacked by stray Staffordshire bull terrier during walk in the park

Mary Towns, 54, was walking her dogs Harvey and Brie in a field near her house in Shiremoor, North Tyneside on Monday evening when the terrier came bounding towards them.

With no owner in sight, the dog began tearing into 10-year-old Harvey and bit Ms Towney's hand as she tried to intervene and she was only saved when a group of teenagers stepped in.

The dental nurse explained: 'It was about 6.30pm and I was walking in a field I often go to so I can throw a tennis bell, and I often see other dog walkers, but not that night.

Then out of nowhere this Staffordshire cross came streaking across the field towards us.

At first I thought it had come to play, but actually it had one thing in its mind and that was to attack Harvey again and again. There was no owner in sight, no lead and no collar.

The attack lasted about 10 minutes, while her four-year-old black Labrador ran off and found her way home.

Kai Mitchell, Max Sherwood, Ryan Cooke - all 13 - and 14-year-old Ethan Dembry-Edwards came to her rescue and called emergency services when they realised she didn't have a phone.

The boys also attempted to flag down help from a nearby road before officers were able to arrive on the scene and stop the animal.

It was later put down after officers decided it was a danger to the public and no owner came forward.

Mrs Towns suffered only minor injuries and bruising, but Harvey was left with more than a hundred bite marks on and around his neck leaving her and husband David with a Ł1,000 vets bill.

It was a good thing my smaller dog escaped because she would have been killed without a question of a doubt,' she added. 'There was so much blood.'

'Harvey was very lucky and now he is back at home with antibiotics and pain killers we are hoping he will make a full recovery in time.

I would like to say a huge thank you to the boys who helped me as I don't know what I would have done otherwise.

'People can be quick to moan about teenagers, but their families should be very proud because they could have just walked by and done nothing, but they stopped and helped.'

She added: 'People breed these animals and don't think about other people or the animals themselves.

'Dogs aren't born bad. It is people's handling of them that makes them bad. From my point of view, there is now a dangerous dog off our streets.

'I am an adult, but I could have been walking with my grandchild or there could have been young children around.

'This won't stop me walking my dogs as I have all my life, but I will always take my phone with me from now on.'
Article and photographs here... WARNING - GRAPHIC PICTURES

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...walk-park.html

I am glad Harvey is now home and hope that he recovers well without any lasting trauma.

Well done to those boys - a credit to their parents.

Your comments and views:
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-01-2015, 06:10 PM
Oh, poor old guy. Reminds me of when my old boy was attacked by stray pit bull monsters. Except it doesn't look like this poor dude was able to defend himself, at all. I hate when vicious dogs who nobody claims do this. Old family pets don't deserve this. Glad they put the dog down. People need to keep their pets properly restrained. And it's nearly always these pit bull types. Ugh! I know they can be great pets, but you have to wonder why the UK banned APBT and not these nearly identical and bred for the same purpose dogs.
whippetjane
New Member!
Female 

03-01-2015, 09:20 PM
it's another sad case.Please don't blame the dog in this case its the owner.The dog might of been set out wasn't wanted no more,no colar.Thats the first indication the owner didn't want the dog any more.Folks don't think.The dog is dirtying the house or flat,it's barking all the time.We just don't know.Take it to the local dogs home.**** no it will cost me money the god damn dog ain't worth that.Just let it lose won't cost me someone gonna pick it up.Sadly it attacks your dog.Sorry.Hope your wee dog is recovering.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

03-01-2015, 09:27 PM
whippetjane - as the owner of the attacked dog said in the article - "Dogs aren't born bad. It is people's handling of them that makes them bad."
Bobble
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-01-2015, 11:04 AM
This is almost exactly the same scenario that happened in Gillingham a few months ago, so sad for all concerned.

Where next?

Dog News Homepage
Latest and popular news, by week, month, year and all-time!

Dog News Forum
Shows dog related news by latest activity

Submit A News Story
Info on how to submit a news story

Latest Dog News...

© Copyright 2016, Dogsey   Contact Us - Dogsey - Top Contact us | Archive | Privacy | Terms of use | Top