Shane
Dogsey Senior
Male 

18-01-2013, 09:30 AM
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
How are things going with these two?

Wys
x
Things are changing and I'm stepping in much more often.
When the pup stops for a minute, Daisy continues to bite his ears and I have to tell her to leave him alone but as soon as she stops he jumps on her again

I'm only allowing them to play in the garden so daisy has room to get away.
The puppy has tried to lay down with her a few times but she isn't having any of it and moves away.

I'm hopping that when he's past the stage when he just wants to jump on her that things will calm down.
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2013, 10:37 AM
Originally Posted by Shane View Post
Things are changing and I'm stepping in much more often.
That's good, i think that will help. I'd be stepping in after the first 30 seconds I've helped a lot in puppy classes (I do behaviour work so not just as an assistant, but more as a real colleague) and this is what we'd always do. It helps the pups to understand they can't just push and push without a consequence, albeit a very gentle one which is also a teaching thing.
When the pup stops for a minute, Daisy continues to bite his ears and I have to tell her to leave him alone but as soon as she stops he jumps on her again
I'd let her bite his ears she seems very gentle and if he doesn't like it, he can always choose to back away himself, and indeed that will help him learn how to be more socially aware of how to deal with and cope with what other dogs like and don't like - Unless of course she really bites hard and hurts him, but that doesn't seem likely?

I'm hopping that when he's past the stage when he just wants to jump on her that things will calm down.
I can't remember if you've already said, sorry, but does Daisy have a place to get right away from him? If not it would be ideal for her to have one so that she can chill out and relax and recharge her equilibrium so to speak

They are both adorable by the way!

Wys
x
muddymoodymoo
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-01-2013, 10:39 AM
I think the ear biting is a ritual and Daisy should be allowed to complete it, otherwise the pup is not learning what it means therefore he jumps on her straight away again.
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2013, 11:13 AM
Originally Posted by muddymoodymoo View Post
I think the ear biting is a ritual and Daisy should be allowed to complete it, otherwise the pup is not learning what it means therefore he jumps on her straight away again.
Yes, it's always hard to see in context but it appeared to me as if Daisy was basically trying to assert herself, and she needs to do this - it's nature, an adult dog "correcting" (hate that word) a puppy who is being too OTT.

If Daisy is allowed to assert herself, in time there will be balance between the dogs and I think it will happen much faster than if she is not allowed.

Often, dogs can appear to be scary to a pup - but ideally a pushy pup who is just a baby can be shown by a gentle adult that pushy behaviour is never acceptable ... so sometimes the adult can give an inhibited snap, rarrrrrr at the pup, and the pup will back off - this is true dog behaviour and can help to bring up a pup who understands how not to annoy other dogs socially

Wys
x
Shane
Dogsey Senior
Male 

18-01-2013, 11:20 AM
Thanks, she leaves no mark on his ears and he doesn't yelp so i could try leaving her and seeing what happens.

Daisy has her own crate in the living room and Barney has one in the kitchen. Her crate door is usually open because she is ok to be left in the house but I've started closing it when Barney is in the living room to give her some peace.
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2013, 01:31 PM
Thanks, she leaves no mark on his ears and he doesn't yelp so i could try leaving her and seeing what happens.

Daisy has her own crate in the living room and Barney has one in the kitchen. Her crate door is usually open because she is ok to be left in the house but I've started closing it when Barney is in the living room to give her some peace.
That's really great Shane, I think you are doing all the right things now

It is difficult to know what to do with pups and adult dogs esp. as it is in our nature to protect the puppy.

Would love to see another vid in maybe a few weeks if you have the time and inclination

Meanwhile enjoy them both, and have fun!

Wys
xx
labaddicted91
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-01-2013, 03:07 PM
Nothing to worry about
Shane
Dogsey Senior
Male 

18-01-2013, 03:18 PM
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
That's really great Shane, I think you are doing all the right things now

It is difficult to know what to do with pups and adult dogs esp. as it is in our nature to protect the puppy.

Would love to see another vid in maybe a few weeks if you have the time and inclination

Meanwhile enjoy them both, and have fun!

Wys
xx
I'm sure there will be many more videos, thanks for all the advice
Shane
Dogsey Senior
Male 

18-01-2013, 05:59 PM
Here you go

Barney Daisy in the snow
Strangechilde
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-01-2013, 10:29 PM
That looks perfectly okay to me!

I have two rescues-- a Japanese Akita and a probable Staffie mix, no one knows. They play in exactly the same way, with the exception that the Akita is three times the size of the the little brown Staffie/whatever. They romp all over the place. The little one takes serious advantage over the big one: she can go under him, over him, around him too fast for him to follow. If he can get her in the right place, he can just scoop her up. On some occasions, someone might get hurt-- and then there is a yip, and both spring apart like magnets at opposite polarity. Playful dogs don't want to hurt each other, and they won't if they can avoid it, generally. If they're both wagging tails, it's just play and good.
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3