Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2010, 01:04 AM

Watching a dog get old

- How do you all cope with it? Fable our Spinone over the last month has really started to show his age (9 yesterday), nothing bad not in pain or anything, just taking longer to get up, being stiff, his back right leg seems to be stiff for about 5mins after he has got up from a nap. Hes still happy and healthy of course (confirmed by a vet to when recently there for a check up, we were told 'hes just a normal dog getting old'.)
Hes no spring chicken and it just makes you think, things wont get better for him now, he will only get older and it will show more and more month by month, and one day its going to be to much for him

Hes our first ever brought doglet, we had always had fosters before him, so he is kind of special and tonight i just feel about emotional, i know its over nothing really but is this what we have to look forward to, seeing him go down hill in other areas to and things getting tougher for him, he doesnt run like that mad pup anymore, or roll about the floor like a big softy and when he does he takes a few seconds to jump back up again .. He still puts his front paws around my shoulders for our cuddle time and he even struggles to do that He sleeps alot more than he ever use to, and is not enjoying this weather like he onces did. Hes getting tired and old and it shows and i dont want it to I know these are all things to expect when a dog gets old, and he could still have years left in him, but for me its still upsetting
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

26-06-2010, 01:38 AM
There's things you can do for joints but in answer to your post - It's part of the deal unfortunately.

Watching our pets age is never easy and (as we age) every dog we have seem to reach this stage quicker.

All we can do is adapt to their needs as best we can.
Emma
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2010, 02:22 AM
I was going to say what Phil said, there are some great drugs around for oldies joints these days.
It is a weird fact that, the dogs who give us the most joy will end up breaking our hearts, but I am trying to look at it, that Scratch has given me so much comfort, joy, laughter, and not to forget worry, my heart is going to be broken, even writing this makes me tear up (yes I know I am a sap ) but I guess a question I would ask is would you take it all back, all the memories, the years with our now oldies?? I bet you say 'no way' and that is why we do it, and go back for more and know it is going to happen again one day, because what they give us is ten fold of what our lives would be like without them.
I know that feeling as many others here do, just as you are now, looking at our oldies thinking they are not the same, they sleep more, they play less, they give us worrying days, and many trips to the vets.
I know what you mean about 'special' dog too. Scratch is not my first dog but he is my first small dog that made me like them, see there is more than a purse dog in them and the character they have, and why I have Louis. Scratch has seen me at my worst and at my best, he is the best tissue ever. That is why I sit here and watch him get old, he is my 'special' dog (not taking away anything from my other dogs, if that makes any sense, but I wonder if it is because I know by age he has the least time left, or the fact I have almost lost him a few times).
So when your heart gets heavy when you look at them, have a cry, give your boy a hug, look at what he has given you.
Now we have to adjust to their 'oldness' and know we are going to give them the best old age a dog can have, as they have given us the best of them.
Scratch sleeps more now, he has energy bursts and when we go for a walk he is off like a shot, but his eyesight fails him and he darts around looking for us even though we are not more than 50m away, so we run to him, or Louis goes towards him and he follows him back. 20mins wears him out, where he use to walk all day, so he has a bed made up for him on the lounge and by the heater, I bought a chair so he can hop up on our bed, when we go out we let him know we are leaving (as he is deaf and if he doesn't see us he stands in the middle of the lounge room and barks waiting to see where we are) his latest trick is to hop up on our bed when we are out and it is dark with the curtains pulled and he gets stuck on the bed, so now we have to leave the light on or shut the door the list just grows of accommodating his 'oldness'.
I could keep on rambling on but basically I try to enjoy each day that I have him, and he is not like his old self in so many ways but I still see him in there and laugh when he plays, know that it isnt going to last forever but no I wouldn't take any of my memories back of him, so I sit here, he has had a feed (one of three a day due to medication requirement ) he has played for 10mins and is now curled up beside me. I know he is content.
All you can do is love them..................
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

26-06-2010, 02:40 AM
Originally Posted by Emma View Post
I was going to say what Phil said, there are some great drugs around for oldies joints these days.
It is a weird fact that, the dogs who give us the most joy will end up breaking our hearts, but I am trying to look at it, that Scratch has given me so much comfort, joy, laughter, and not to forget worry, my heart is going to be broken, even writing this makes me tear up (yes I know I am a sap ) but I guess a question I would ask is would you take it all back, all the memories, the years with our now oldies?? I bet you say 'no way' and that is why we do it, and go back for more and know it is going to happen again one day, because what they give us is ten fold of what our lives would be like without them.
I know that feeling as many others here do, just as you are now, looking at our oldies thinking they are not the same, they sleep more, they play less, they give us worrying days, and many trips to the vets.
I know what you mean about 'special' dog too. Scratch is not my first dog but he is my first small dog that made me like them, see there is more than a purse dog in them and the character they have, and why I have Louis. Scratch has seen me at my worst and at my best, he is the best tissue ever. That is why I sit here and watch him get old, he is my 'special' dog (not taking away anything from my other dogs, if that makes any sense, but I wonder if it is because I know by age he has the least time left, or the fact I have almost lost him a few times).
So when your heart gets heavy when you look at them, have a cry, give your boy a hug, look at what he has given you.
Now we have to adjust to their 'oldness' and know we are going to give them the best old age a dog can have, as they have given us the best of them.
Scratch sleeps more now, he has energy bursts and when we go for a walk he is off like a shot, but his eyesight fails him and he darts around looking for us even though we are not more than 50m away, so we run to him, or Louis goes towards him and he follows him back. 20mins wears him out, where he use to walk all day, so he has a bed made up for him on the lounge and by the heater, I bought a chair so he can hop up on our bed, when we go out we let him know we are leaving (as he is deaf and if he doesn't see us he stands in the middle of the lounge room and barks waiting to see where we are) his latest trick is to hop up on our bed when we are out and it is dark with the curtains pulled and he gets stuck on the bed, so now we have to leave the light on or shut the door the list just grows of accommodating his 'oldness'.
I could keep on rambling on but basically I try to enjoy each day that I have him, and he is not like his old self in so many ways but I still see him in there and laugh when he plays, know that it isnt going to last forever but no I wouldn't take any of my memories back of him, so I sit here, he has had a feed (one of three a day due to medication requirement ) he has played for 10mins and is now curled up beside me. I know he is content.
All you can do is love them..................
What a lovely 'heartfelt' post.

Whenever their health concerns me - I try to put myself in their shoes and I reckon they don't really care what we think

That might sound odd but our dogs are tough little cookies but when push comes to shove they probably pitty us more .
Emma
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2010, 03:31 AM
Originally Posted by Phil View Post
What a lovely 'heartfelt' post.

Whenever their health concerns me - I try to put myself in their shoes and I reckon they don't really care what we think

That might sound odd but our dogs are tough little cookies but when push comes to shove they probably pitty us more .
I know I am sure Scratch thinks I am balmy when I get sad and give him a pat up, he knows no different, he lets us know what he wants (he doesn't always get it though ) and it is harder for us to accept the aging of them, than they do, Scratch is as tough as old boots, he has survived the odds and enjoys life albeit a bit slower and more naps in between. They don't worry about tomorrow they live in the moment (wish I could do that better ) I guess they adjust better too
I know what you mean about them not caring about their health the way we do, I remember when getting told about Scratch's heart failure, I got into knots about it and cried, where really he was the same dog as the day before, it was just 'my' knowledge that upset me, it took some Dogsey people to help me figure that one out.
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2010, 06:46 AM
Awww, you have all set me off again , as you know I have my darling Leon aging rapidly before my very eyes and I am limited as to what I can do for him.

I have always thought that, so long as a dog is happy, eating and not experiencing any pain, that I will keep him going to the best of my ability. I have to say that Leon is eating better and in better spirits than he had been for months, obviously the pain relief I had him on wasn't sufficient and now, when I fear I don't have much longer with him, he is as happy as anything, which I'm obviously very pleased about.

However, I am aware that his legs don't have the strength they once used to and I think that this will be what gives me cause to make that awful decision that all us pet owners have to face. If I find he cannot get himself up and about then that will be the time, or if his pain became intolerable for him...I know we all worry about giving them sleep too soon but I would rather he went to the bridge with his dignity intact and virtually pain free than to hang onto him for as long as possible if he clearly shows that life is no longer enjoyable to him.

I hope you boy still has many years in him, Leon isn't quite 10 years old yet and I hope and pray that he stays with me for a while yet.
CuteRotts
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-06-2010, 07:01 AM
Aww you lot! I'm 37 years old and I'm crying like a baby now as my baby girl (she's nearly 12!) looks up at me with big doe-eyes wondering what the hell is wrong with mummy. She's had 2 cruciate ops in the past, tires fairly quickly, her walks last 25 minutes tops, yet she's just joined in a 3-way play-fight with Dennis (4) and Bill (13 weeks). There's definitely life in the old dog yet.

Em x
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2010, 08:00 AM
Last year I lost two dogs--one was 'old' at 14 the other was only 12 but had cancer and died fast. It was a lot easier to cope with the one I knew was old and coming to the end of her life.

I have had many dogs who have lived most of their lives with me before they leave and a few who I have only had for a few months as they arrived as oldies.

Now I have a 14 year old, a 13, two 11 and a halfs (you start to count in halves when they are aging) and a 10 ish as well as two younger dogs. Every day I appreciate the fact that they are here but also know that it won't be forever.

I know it is selfish but I find it so much easier when they age rather than being healthy up to more or less the last minute, that comes as a shock.

However much you prepare yourself it is never easy and always leaves you hurt and bruised.

I wouldn't have done anything differently though.

rune
lilypup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2010, 08:15 AM
I've been so lucky with my dogs in that my Lurcher Leo was nearly 14 when he crossed the bridge and Dylan is now 14. The massive difference is that Leo showed his age from about 12 and the last couple of years were hard with lots of heartsearching over what was best for him. In the end he let me know that he needed to move on and in typical Leo style, he did it quietly and without fuss. He was my first dog and he taught me and my children how wonderful life is when you share it with a dog. He also taught me to have eyes in the back of my head and to never assume that plate of food was out of reach or that frozen sausage rolls aren't tempting at all.

With my Collie it has been so different. Dylan just refuses to grow old gracefully and he really is the old man who wears jeans and a baseball cap just because he thinks he is still young and trendy. In some ways it is harder though as he is an old dog, he is also ill and on daily medication but he just refuses to slow down. It's up to me to say 'enough' and that can be heartbreaking when I have to say no to him. He'd walk all day if I let him but I know that he would suffer later. Like most collies he adores chasing his ball but even that has had to be stopped now, as his back legs can't take the stress that comes with charging after a ball. Dylan only has one speed when it comes to his ball and that is top speed, so sadly I can't let him do it. But he still enjoys his walks and although he asks for his ball at the beginning, once he realises it's not going to happen, he plods off and has a good sniff around.

Old age is hard, but it is also something that should be celebrated.
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2010, 08:21 AM
Havung lost my beautiful girl all too recently i can say nothing prepares you. You can think you are but it doesnt work, the deep feeling of loss, regret you couldnt have did more, its just unbearable

however an aging dog brings his or her own joy. Sure theyre not as fit & lithe but thats part of owning a dog, you slow your pace to suit their, shorten the walks, somtimes you need to do this as the dog's brain still active wants to do what he or she always did

Dont feel sad for him, instead be glad you can do so much more for him, lots more cuddles, oldies appreciate "touch" so much more, time out on his own away from the others but above all love them lots. Best way is to take each day as a bonus that you have him. Their lives are never long enough...
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >