View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ella's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-06-2006, 05:54 PM

poppy wont play with us but will ella (puppy only interested in play with other dog)

ive noyiced poppy wont play with me , ive let her settle in and im now slowly introducing things for her a ball etc but she is not interested at all , she just runs around playing with ella but comes to me for affection { lots of licks and cuddles up on my lap } but she runs a mile when i try to play any ides how i can interact with her on a playing level
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

22-06-2006, 10:50 PM
Hi Ellas Mum you have had Poppy for just a few days, less than a week I think and things will still be very strange for her, it may take time, do you have a play time with just Poppy on her own?

Does she like squeaky toys? If so try siting on the floor and play hide and seek with a toy. Try also rolling a ball between two people and she may try to get it ,when she does play give her lots of praise .Some puppies are not as toy orientated as others.
bluemurphy
Dogsey Junior
Male 

22-06-2006, 11:42 PM
My pups the same if the other dogs are around. Try a little private time and see if that helps it does with our Molly.
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

23-06-2006, 07:47 AM
Finn was the same when he was a puppy. It soon changed when he was able to go out after his vaccinations to the park without Star. One on one time definately helps to build a bond.

He soon found out it was just as much fun to play with us.
duboing
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-06-2006, 09:15 AM
Maybe you're trying the wrong sorts of toys... I know different breeds, and of course different individuals of a breed have different favourites among games. Most of our terriers have loved shake-and-kill games, but one would go wild for chasing footballs. Bongo's favourite at the moment is tug-of-war, with chase-the-empty-bottle coming a close second! Have you tried poppy with a ragger (knotted rope thing)? The staffies I've known all enjoyed a good game of tug, and you can use the ragger to instigate chasing games too. Bear in mind that her previous owners might not have played these games with her, so it will take her a while to learn them. I think with a bit of patience, most pups can learn to enjoy playing with toys, and it's good news for your relationship, their fitness, and tapping into their natural drives to keep their minds occupied.

Sorry I've gone on again, last thing is there has been a series of articles in Your Dog about teaching and playing new games. Might be worth tracking down copies and having a look through.

Ella's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-06-2006, 12:00 PM
weve had her a week now , and yes i have quality time with her alone when ella is out on her walks we have squekie balls , rubber rings and tug of war raggy things for got what there called
she seems to look at me for the security side { if you no what i mean } she isn a lively bouncie pup but then she is only 12 weeks she just plods around the house she is very good , but seems to placid for a pup to me
duboing
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-06-2006, 12:35 PM
Off topic or chat posts merged:

i'll play with ya hun xxxxx :twisted: :lol:

:shock: ooooo theres an offer you cant refuse Ella's Mum :grin:

:shock: your get me in trouble go do some work :lol:

lol i was hoping to get in a little trouble of my own lol

How cheeky! Get a room you two!

i no he is aint he i just been pm ing him telling him off he is swaying off the subject tut tut :roll:

-end-