Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-01-2007, 02:00 PM

Sheepdog sells for £3,780!

Ben, a superbly bred 23-month-old black and white Border Collie dog related to trialling champions on both sides, was top call of the day when selling for 3,600 guineas (£3,780) at the opening 2007 sale of working sheepdogs at Craven Cattle Marts’ Skipton Auction Mart. (Friday, January 19)

An alert Ben, top dog at the Skipton sale of working sheepdogs, is pictured with vendor Aled Owen and his new owner Aurwen Price.

Presented by one of the top handlers in the country, North Wales sheepdog trials team member Aled Owen, of Penyfed, Tynant, Corwen, Denbishire, Ben, who is fully registered and gave an accomplished trial, will remain in Wales after being purchased for her impending retirement by improving novice triallist Ms Aurwen Price, of Argoed Fach, Doldowlod, Llandrindod Wells, Powys.

Already a well-proven youngster, Ben was third in the 2006 Welsh Nursery Finals and a member of last year’s North Wales team that competed against the North of England.

His credentials are top-notch. Ben’s father Bob, in the hands of breeder Mr Owen, followed up a supreme championship win in the 2000 International Trials in Alnwick by becoming overall world champion at the 2002 trials held on home soil in Bala, North Wales.

On the dam’s side, Ben is a grandson of Aled Owen’s Roy, supreme champion at the 1999 International Trials in Aberystwyth, while his great grandfather of the same name, also bred by Mr Owen, won the Welsh Nationals in 1985.

Mr Owen was making his first appearance in 25 years at a public sale of working sheepdogs and his first-ever visit to Skipton. “I had heard so much about the sales at Skipton from my friends that I decided to give it a go. I was not disappointed,” he said.

The delighted buyer, Ms Price, described herself as a beginner triallist. She has competed in local and nursery trials in Wales over the past six years, already having a novice victory and a number of placed successes under her belt.

Ms Price will be retiring in September this year after 25 years as a production worker at filing products company Setten and Durward, of Llandrindod Wells. “I have bought Ben especially for my retirement – he will take the place of my making office files every day,” said Ms Price, who is looking forward to making an increasing impact on the trialling circuit with her new acquisition.

In what proved a high-class catalogue, Iolo Jones, from Corwen, made it a North Wales double when Moss, a registered 17-month-old dog who has already competed in a number of nurseries, joined Mr H Owen, from Nantwich, Cheshire, for 2,450 guineas.

Well-known local handler Sean Richards, of Hapton, Burnley, trialled the workmanlike Fred, by A Scrimgeour’s Killiebrae Laddie out of Alf Kymes’ Sally, to impress yet another North Wales buyer at 2,100 guineas.

Forward 51. Broken dogs to 3,600gns (£1,469), part-broken to 875gns (£591) unbroken to 460gns (£404), pups to 110gns.

Further seasonal working sheepdog sales will take place as Skipton Auction Mart this year as follows: Friday, May 25 (entries close May 11), Friday, August 10 (entries close July 27), and Friday, October 26 (entries close October 12)

megan57collies
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-01-2007, 02:20 PM
Interesting post. I wander what the most expensive dog has ever been and what breed??
I think working collies are worth their weight in gold, aren't they
Teal'c
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-01-2007, 03:21 PM
I think working collies are worth their weight in gold, aren't they
I definitly agree with you :smt026
Blackie's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-01-2007, 03:25 PM
one expensive dog - dearer than most of the cars i buy.

sue
lovezois
Fondly remembered
Female 

24-01-2007, 03:37 PM
Great post and have to agree with Megan and Teal C
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-01-2007, 04:06 PM
Wonder how much I can sell Moss for when he is fully trained????
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-01-2007, 05:22 PM
A Different Slant

Defa, a poorly bred 12 year old white Border Collie dog related to trialling champions on sires side, was not top call of the day when not selling for 3,600 guineas (£3,780) at the opening 2007 sale of working sheepdogs at Craven Cattle Marts’ Skipton Auction Mart. (Friday, January 19)

An alert Defa, top dog and lovable clown every where he goes, is pictured with owner Patch.

Not presented by one of the top handlers in the country, North Wales sheepdog trials team member Aled Owen, of Penyfed, Tynant, Corwen, Denbishire, Defa, who is not fully registered and never gave an accomplished trial as he does`nt work sheep, will remain with Patch after being adopted ten years ago for the love of him.

Never a well-proven youngster, Defa was not third in the 2006 Welsh Nursery Finals and was not a member of last year’s North Wales team that competed against the North of England.

His credentials are top-notch as companion and co-agility instructor.

Patch was not making her first appearance in 25 years at a public sale of working sheepdogs. “I had not heard much about the sales at Skipton from my friends and could never part with a dog for any amount of money so I decided not to give it a go ” she said.

The delighted owner, Patch, described herself as a animal lover who gives her companion animals a home for life. She has not competed in local and nursery trials in Wales over the past six years, never having a novice victory or a number of placed successes under her belt.

Patch `retired` on health grounds in 1995. “I adopted Defa especially for the full and fun life I could give him and the companionship he could give me ” said Patch, who is not looking forward to making an increasing impact on the trialling circuit with her acquisition of ten years ago.

Forward 51. Broken dogs to 3,600gns (£1,469), part-broken to 875gns (£591) unbroken to 460gns (£404), pups to 110gns, Deaf white 12 year old Border Collies called Defa Priceless [ £no amount, on the planet, would be enough ].

Further seasonal working sheepdog sales will take place as Skipton Auction Mart this year as follows: Friday, May 25 (entries close May 11), Friday, August 10 (entries close July 27), and Friday, October 26 (entries close October 12) and Defa will not be there either

bens mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-01-2007, 05:51 PM
well sorry i prefere my ben, ok hes not alert, and lord only knows what he would do if he saw a sheep, probally run in the opposite direction LOL actully he dont take any notice of sheep. we go to wales often. and ben was a freebee
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-01-2007, 10:43 AM
Originally Posted by Patch View Post
A Different Slant

Patch was not making her first appearance in 25 years at a public sale of working sheepdogs. “I had not heard much about the sales at Skipton from my friends and could never part with a dog for any amount of money so I decided not to give it a go ” she said.

The delighted owner, Patch, described herself as a animal lover who gives her companion animals a home for life. She has not competed in local and nursery trials in Wales over the past six years, never having a novice victory or a number of placed successes under her belt.

Very cleverly done Patch I enjoyed that.

However, not sure whether you are also disagreeing with sheepdog sales? As you have said in your post, "gives her companion animals a home for life". That is great and wonderful, and my dogs are with me for life too. However, these are working dogs and not pets. Many of these dogs wouldn't be happy being companions and live for their work.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-01-2007, 10:44 AM
[QUOTE=Patch;903592Defa, a poorly bred 12 year old white Border Collie dog related to trialling champions on sires side.[/QUOTE]

Who is in Defa's pedigree Patch?
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >