View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
John Howard
Dogsey Junior
Male 

12-08-2019, 09:39 PM

How to stop my LGD from chasing me as I drive away?

I live out in the country and have a Pyrenese/ Blue Heeler cross for my Livestock Guardian Dog. He is about 1 year old and new to our farm. Our 15-year-old Black Mouthed Cur passed and we needed a LGD fast because we have a lot of predators that start killing our livestock as soon as we don't have a LGD. So we put and ad out on [a social network] and these peoples responded and offered us this Pyrenese/Blue Heeler.

He is super sweet and is doing a great job, but he loves to chase us as we drive out our drive away. We live about 500 yards off the road, and he will chase us all the way down our driveway and down the road until we can get enough speed up to leave him behind. Our driveway comes out right at a sharp bend in the road where big trucks are constantly coming down. So, it is just a matter of time before our new LGD is run over.

We have tried everything to get him to stop chasing us, but it is like a cat chasing a ball on a string, he just goes into chase mode when he sees us get in our car. No matter what we do, it is like his mind shuts off and he can't hear us. I have never owned a dog that chased cars like this, so I don't know how to deal with it. He is a LGD and has to stay free, especially when we are away; so penning him up is not an option. I don't like using them, but I am at the point of getting a shock collar and giving him a good jolt every time he chases us. I don't want to, but that has to be better than letting him get run over; which is going to happen if I don't do something.

Any ideas on how to get him to stop this?
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-08-2019, 09:46 PM
I'm assuming here that you can't put a gate across the driveway to stop him leaving the property?

If that's correct (and it is by far the safest way as you can't know if he leaves the property while you are away if not), then you need to start working at the point he first reacts and work systematically through the stages.

What is his initial trigger point? The point where he first starts to get excited at your leaving?
John Howard
Dogsey Junior
Male 

12-08-2019, 10:03 PM
My land is unfenced, so putting in a gate would not help. He gets excited when the car starts to move. We immediately stop, get out and reprimand him, but as soon as the car starts to move, it's like his entire focus is the car. I have stood there while someone else drives away yelling at the top of my lungs and it is like he can't hear me. Normally he is very obedient and anxious to obey any order. But when he sees our car moving, it's like he shuts everything else out. I have never seen a dog like this before, and I have owned a few LGDs in my life.
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-08-2019, 08:21 AM
This is a random thought but do your LGDs chase your live stock? If they are trained not to chase livestock then start training your new dog that to chase the vehicle is like chasing livestock. Which is a no no. So, use the same principal that you used to stop them from chasing the correct livestock. Simple maybe but worth a go. Also how long have you had your new LGD? If not long then early days. Please don't use a shock collar. Awful things and it could make things worse.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-08-2019, 02:03 PM
Originally Posted by John Howard View Post
My land is unfenced, so putting in a gate would not help. He gets excited when the car starts to move. We immediately stop, get out and reprimand him, but as soon as the car starts to move, it's like his entire focus is the car. I have stood there while someone else drives away yelling at the top of my lungs and it is like he can't hear me. Normally he is very obedient and anxious to obey any order. But when he sees our car moving, it's like he shuts everything else out. I have never seen a dog like this before, and I have owned a few LGDs in my life.
I agree with Brenda's solution totally if you have trained him previously to stop chasing.

If not, as moving is his first trigger point, that's where I'd start, but it takes time.

Go out a number of times a day, get in the car.

Start it up and move until he reacts.

Stop the car.

Say nothing to him just walk back inside.

When he stops reacting to that, move on to the next trigger.
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-08-2019, 03:18 PM
There is another way of course. Put him in the vehicle and take him down the road for a bit and park out of sight of the house. Then walk him back and leave him behind and walk away. Go back to the vehicle and roll it down away from the house before starting the engine. Worth a try.