View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-10-2018, 08:56 PM
The problem I see with it though, Besoeker, is that you caused a problem for the other dog walker by letting Max go to say hello. When you see the other owner has their dog on a lead, it really is good manners to pop the lead on Max too until they have passed or, at the very least, step of to the side and keep Max in a very close sit
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-10-2018, 06:54 AM
Originally Posted by Besoeker View Post
Fair point. You have to know your dog. Mine eyeballs me waiting for instruction.
You actually cross publicly accessed roads with traffic with your dog off his leash? I don't use a leash for my dog most of the time either, but if I take him near open roads, I will use his leash. Knowing your dog has little to do with exercising good judgment and taking precautions. There can be times when dogs can act out of character for some reason, as well.

You say your dog avoids unfriendly people by instinct, doesn't ever annoyingly approach leashed pets, calmly waits for instruction at the times necessary, obeys every single command without fail, and basically is perfect. I would have to SEE this to believe it and I already know I will never see it.

Oh and everyone here who knows me knows that my Nigredo did therapy as well at senior centers. He's extremely friendly and well behaved. Everyone loves him and he's a nice fellow. He's also microchipped and has a tagged collar.

I don't suspect he would run an odd direction on a road or get spooked or anything... I simply am not bold (or silly some might say) enough to chance it on a busy road. He's a chubby guy and he's over 100 lbs (45kg). He's a lot like your dog but I don't act like he's perfect. No dog is perfect.

And he is not allowed to approach on lead dogs. Here where I live, they are usually unfriendly. If I see one, he is immediately called back and LEASHED. If he walked up to a leashed dog who reacted to him, I would apologize and take him away. I don't believe barky and unfriendly dogs belong in public places, but the leashed dogs have the "right of way" so to speak.
CaroleC
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-10-2018, 10:15 AM
Unpredictable is just what it says on the tin, better safe than sorry.
Having said that, it is a lovely feeling to have a dog that you feel you can have so much trust in - I remember that feeling from my GR days. Beagles may be clever and comical, but I don't think you could ever call them reliable.
It makes you wonder why dogs like Max end up in rescue kennels. I'm pleased it ended so well for him.
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

08-10-2018, 08:39 PM
Originally Posted by CaroleC View Post
It makes you wonder why dogs like Max end up in rescue kennels. I'm pleased it ended so well for him.
We wondered about that too. We have had him about three and a half years. He was a shy, skinny boy that wouldn't get in the car. Now, he goes everywhere with us including the barber.

Sad tale from today. He slowly limped downstairs this morning. The main pad on his right rear paw was inflamed and obviously hurting. He just laid about most of the morning, ate little, and drank nothing. We took him to the vet and who prescribed drops to combat the inflation. By the time we got home he was much brighter and now seems to be back to his old self.
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

10-10-2018, 02:32 PM
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
The problem I see with it though, Besoeker, is that you caused a problem for the other dog walker by letting Max go to say hello. When you see the other owner has their dog on a lead, it really is good manners to pop the lead on Max too until they have passed or, at the very least, step of to the side and keep Max in a very close sit
So somehow it is my fault that the aggressive little beast wanted to attack my big gentle fellow?
Get real.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-10-2018, 03:02 PM
Yes it is. You allowed your big gentle fellow to get into another dog's face and invade his personal space despite the obvious sign (dog on lead) that maybe the dog had a problem.

A little courtesy allows all dog owners to enjoy the outdoors
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

10-10-2018, 03:29 PM
Yes it is. You allowed your big gentle fellow to get into another dog's face
Nope. It got into his. Barking and snarling at the end of his taut lead and ignoring the owner's screeching commands. Max just strolled back to me.
"Max, let's go."
Why is that my fault?
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-10-2018, 08:29 PM
"One decided to have a barking fit at Max when hew went to say hello as dogs do"

So the dog wasn't barking and snarling until Max approached the dog who WAS ON LEAD. Why is that not your fault?
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

11-10-2018, 06:31 PM
"One decided to have a barking fit at Max when hew went to say hello as dogs do"

So the dog wasn't barking and snarling until Max approached the dog who WAS ON LEAD. Why is that not your fault?
A little more on what happened. Max was on the opposite side to me on the footpath we were crossing. He was trotting back to me when the owner walked down the path between myself and Max. I didn't know they were there until I turned round to check on Max, but a close encounter was inevitable as we crossed paths.

We meet lots of dogs on leads with zero problems. I had no prior knowledge that this delinquent, disobedient little sod would be so aggressive towards Max.

Yes, the little dog was the aggressor, and totally ignored his owner's screeching commands. Max did absolutely nothing aggressive responded to my instruction immediately.

And, just by way of one example, this how he treats other little dogs, even when they try to bite his magnificent tail:

Yet, you lot somehow still see it as MY fault?
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-10-2018, 06:44 PM
Originally Posted by Besoeker View Post
A little more on what happened. Max was on the opposite side to me on the footpath we were crossing. He was trotting back to me when the owner walked down the path between myself and Max. I didn't know they were there until I turned round to check on Max, but a close encounter was inevitable as we crossed paths.
That is totally different to:

Another little tail from our stroll this evening. A couple were walking their pair of dogs on leads. One decided to have a barking fit at Max when hew went to say hello as dogs do.
"Max, come here!"
He did. We walked round the block and there they were again walking down the path.
"Max, wait."
He did until they were out of the way and we strolled on.
Page 4 of 12 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »