Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

26-07-2018, 07:08 AM

Leads

I walk a lot with my big hairy beast. I rarely put him on the lead. He is good crossing roads. Wait and cross commands work fine.

But most of the dog owners/walkers we meet have their dogs on a lead tight as a banjo string. Don't you trust your dog?
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-07-2018, 09:09 AM
I trust my dog completely, its the other people that I don't trust with their dogs off lead especially along pavements and roads.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

26-07-2018, 12:04 PM
Originally Posted by Besoeker View Post
have their dogs on a lead tight as a banjo string.

Yes, it annoys me, I do put Casey on the lead if we are crossing the road, he's not a good listener and is elderly so bit late to start trainning him now but anywhere away from a road and he is 'offlead' why wouldn't he be ?
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

26-07-2018, 12:14 PM
My dogs are all great on the lead and sit automatically at kerbs but they are still walked on a loose lead. It's a legal requirement and not worth leaving the lead off when the unexpected can always happen.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-07-2018, 12:52 PM
I've seen so many say that their dog is under total control. Dogs are sentient beings. They have moods and they also have forgetfulness. Is it really worth taking the chance?

Similarly, those that let their 'friendly' dogs go up to others:

A: People don't know your dog so will take precautions to protect theirs

B: Many dogs are uncomfortable with dogs coming in their face

C: Many dogs onlead are onlead for a reason. Why should their training be wrecked because others can't be bothered to have the basic good manners to clip a lead on their dog when they can quite clearly see that the dog being walked the other way is on lead?
CaroleC
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-07-2018, 03:50 PM
My two walk on loose leads until we reach a safe area. Why take the chance?
DobieWan Kenobi
Dogsey Junior
Female 

28-07-2018, 02:07 PM
I can walk my dog off lead at roadside but that is illegal and dangerous. She might know what "stay close" means but she has no idea that cars can kill her. My dog isn't going to be pelting it about at the side of the road anyway, that's what fields are for, at the road she'll be walking within leash distance from me anyway so why not put her on lead and keep her safe...

That's like not putting your kids' seatbelt on because you trust your breaks. Somebody elses might not be so great!
Dibbythedog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-07-2018, 06:13 PM
Ita legal requirement to have a dog on a lead here.

ETA I'm not sure of your point , are you annoyed at the fact the dogs are on leads or the fact that some people have the leads short and tight.

if the pavements are crowded , do you still walk with a loose lead or no lead/

I don't get why people walk their dogs off lead at a park and make them walk to heel and not run around . perhaps they are control freaks .
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

30-07-2018, 02:51 PM
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
My dogs are all great on the lead and sit automatically at kerbs but they are still walked on a loose lead. It's a legal requirement and not worth leaving the lead off when the unexpected can always happen.
I would expect no less of your dogs.
Where we live, our front door opens on to a common green. That leads on to parks, playing fields and woodlands.

He gets to run around a lot more that if he was on a lead. No pavements, no vehicles. And he gets on very well with other dogs, children, adults. Some people just don't like dogs, and some even fear them. Somehow, Max senses those and avoids them. Don't ask me how he does it. I'll leave that to your expertise.
CaroleC
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-07-2018, 03:37 PM
You posted about crossing roads. Where are the roads that you say he is so good at crossing?
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 11 > Last »