View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-03-2009, 09:17 AM
But I think it also depends on how much notice you take of individual breeds - at one time I couldn't tell one rotti from another, but I'm now getting used to looking past the 'they're all black and tan' and seeing the difference in markings, the size/shape of the body and head.
Very true! I'm sure many people think all black Labs look the same, but when you get up close and compare them (unless they are very similarly bred) they all look individual.
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-03-2009, 09:30 AM
I would say Border Collies. In the past couple of years I've only seen one of two that were similar to Lottie, even though she is a tri, so not unusual in that respect. My friend has just taken on a lovely blue merle boy with gorgeous markings. Never seen one marked like him.
honeysmummy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-03-2009, 09:32 AM
I agree with Hali.
Pidge is talking (i think) not just about colours and markings but build and general appearance. I have seen a lot of variation in the springer ie. height, build, length of leg etc.

So what other breeds vary as much?
I think Labs vary a lot when you look closely but it depends on the quality of breeding doesnt it??
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-03-2009, 09:37 AM
Dalmatians!
go on - find 2 with the same spots!
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-03-2009, 09:41 AM
Originally Posted by Loki's mum View Post
I would say Border Collies. In the past couple of years I've only seen one of two that were similar to Lottie, even though she is a tri, so not unusual in that respect. My friend has just taken on a lovely blue merle boy with gorgeous markings. Never seen one marked like him.
I agree, with BC's, having owned them for 47 years they come is so many different colours and sizes. Very occasionally we might see one or two who are simular but not idential.
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-03-2009, 09:45 AM
I'd say Border Collies are the breed with the most variation not only in terms of colour and markings but also in terms of coat type, ear shape etc. I'm sure most BC's arent up to breed standard but they are still BC's nonetheless.
MaryS
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-03-2009, 10:03 AM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
Frankly if you plunk 100 dogs of any breed of the same colour and similar lines and put them together, they are going to generally look the 'same'.
Depends how recently the breed was formed and what types went into the breed make-up.
FLs still have a wide variation in type, thank goodness and a huge colour spectrum, from solid black and bear brown with spectacles to cream, a variety of sables, brown and black tri, domino, lilac etc. All are acceptable in the ring as are tipped and prick ears. Only colours not allowed in ring are brindle and saddle but are still bred from as working dogs. See http://lapikas.net/varisivut/index.htm and click on the left-hand menu options for colours.

Mary
lovezois
Fondly remembered
Female 

03-03-2009, 10:35 AM
I will stick with the borzoi tho' I know I am probably a lone voice on Dogsey, as their owners on here are few and far between.

Borzois have a large variety of colours ranging from solid colours such as self white, self black, self red,self cream a etc.and if you add to that all the dfifferent markings and colourings not just on the body but on the face and the tail the list is endless.

There is more than one website dedicated to the different colours and markings in the breed. When a litter is born there are no two pups with the same colouring and/or markings, maybe similar but never identical.
Reisu
Almost a Veteran
Female 

03-03-2009, 11:13 AM
There's a lot of variety in greyhounds, if you gave me pictures of 100 black greyhounds and asked me to pick out Jobie or any other black greyhound i knew that would be no problem but i agree, i think BCs have the widest variety.
crestnut
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-03-2009, 11:37 AM
I would defo say Chinese Cresteds are very variable when it comes to colour
Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >