Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

03-03-2009, 06:38 AM
Originally Posted by Pidge View Post
Ooooh, good one.

I also think there are lots of different variation of beagles too.
every beagle i have seen looks identical. except some are bigger and some are smaller

staffies have the most variety.
GSD's have some variety as well
Chellie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-03-2009, 07:15 AM
Based on colour alone, the Akita also comes in a wide range of colours and markings.

However, regardless of the markings, well bred dogs of the same breed will all look similar
TBBS
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-03-2009, 07:29 AM
Border Collies come in 19 different colours and they look different because they were bred for working ability not so much looks originally.
Archer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-03-2009, 07:32 AM
Originally Posted by Lene View Post
Great Danes comes in many colours, but not all colours are permissible in the show ring.
The only colour not shown over here is merle...blacks,blues,fawns harli's and mantles are all acceptable
maxine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-03-2009, 08:22 AM

I don't agree. We met three working, liver and white springers last weekend and all of them looked totally different. Some had spots of colour, some had blocks, short and fat, tall and lean (that one was Woody ;o) and small and thin. This is where my train of thought has come from, they all looked completely different.
Our new Springer is from working stock and he looks very different to most others I have seen

Lene
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-03-2009, 08:22 AM
Yep... Merles come in many different colours...

They're gorgeous...
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-03-2009, 09:02 AM
I don't agree. We met three working, liver and white springers last weekend and all of them looked totally different. Some had spots of colour, some had blocks, short and fat, tall and lean (that one was Woody ;o) and small and thin. This is where my train of thought has come from, they all looked completely different.
It depends what you mean by 'markings etc' in your original question. I had thought you were just asking about variation in colours, but your above post suggests you also mean overall build and general physical appearance?

You've picked out springers because they are a breed that you are particularly interested in, but in terms of colour variation, there is relatively little variation compared to other breeds, though I agree in build and other physical appearance there can be quite a wide variation.

But I think it also depends on how much notice you take of individual breeds - at one time I couldn't tell one rotti from another, but I'm now getting used to looking past the 'they're all black and tan' and seeing the difference in markings, the size/shape of the body and head.
KateM
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-03-2009, 09:03 AM
Try looking at germanspitzworld.co.uk which has pictures on the pedigrees if you do a pedigree search or scroll through the winners gallery

all colours and markings are permissable, providing they don't have butterfly pigmentation and because mittels can be from 12 to 15 inches there is a broad height range. (kliens are 9 to 11.5 inches).
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-03-2009, 09:07 AM
We have a variety of shapes and Sizes of BC's.....

Not the best picture I'm sorry - but a strange combination....
ETA - we also have a red tri - but she was out when I was taking the pictures

Breeding wise....wanna guess.....?
2 are unknown
1 is ISDS only
2 KC breed reg'd
3 KC OB/WT reg'd

2 related Granddaughter/grandmother
2 related Uncle/neice
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-03-2009, 09:14 AM
As someone else said, working dogs are not bred with breed standards in mind so there will be a fair amount of 'variety' in terms of looks. Same for dogs that are entirely pet bred, too. But, if you put 100 working dogs of similar breeding together, NOT looking at markings, I guarantee that you would struggle to pick one individual out of the crowd.
Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »