Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
talassie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-12-2008, 08:50 PM

sheep free dog walking in scotland

I seem to remember reading somewhere that there is a part of the scottish highlands which is sheep free. I have a feeling it was the west coast. Does anyone know about this because thinking of going for holiday next year.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-12-2008, 09:14 PM
There are certainly sheep in many parts of the Highlands, but it is also possible to find areas where there are very few ... there are lots of red deer everywhere though.

I tend to go on holiday to the NW Highlands every year. If you let me know what kind of holiday you are looking for, I can give you my experiences and possibly suggest somewhere
inkliveeva
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-12-2008, 09:15 PM
If you find it let me know please x
inkliveeva
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-12-2008, 09:16 PM
I was in Dornie in October, had a great time but there was a lot of sheep even in the severe weather x
Moobli, I'd like your experience please x
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-12-2008, 09:34 PM
hiya

yes would also be interested where there are NO sheep.. Although have to say if you go up north north, so from about Ullapool north, there are lots of coastal areas where there are large sandy beaches perfect for letting loose the dogs..

Avoid Skye as there are loads of sheep there !

We loved Ullapool and North West Sutherland - absolutely gorgeous.
inkliveeva
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-12-2008, 09:39 PM
thanks brundog we're going back to dornie in may so we'll defo check that out xx
megan57collies
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-12-2008, 12:37 AM
I've found Perthshire (around Loch Tay) is fine. Yes there are sheep in the lower fields but you don't have to go anywhere near them to be able to let your dog off. There are loads of forestry tracks to walk up with obviously no sheep as there's no grazing (the odd deer perhaps). I spent two weeks easily doing a different walk every day with not a sheep in site Plenty of dog friendly accomodation in the are too. PM PHIL on here as he has family in that area.
skilaki
Almost a Veteran
Female 

12-12-2008, 09:13 AM
I would agree, we visited Kenmore earlier this year, and although dogless at the time, and only saw sheep on a few occasions. It would be easy to do a different sheepfree walk every day. There are deer though.

But as megan has said, plenty of sheep free forests.

We stayed at Mains of Taymouth cottages in Kenmore. Dog friendly (no restrictions on where they go in the accomodation). It was a special treat though, and it is quite pricey, but very luxurious . . .

This was by far the best Scottish holiday I have had, and we are defo going back.

We
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-12-2008, 09:17 AM
I have stayed a few times at Ratagan and Letterfearn, in the Kyle of Lochalsh area. It is a fairly mountainous region and there are sheep in certain areas, but I walked every day in the hills and never came across any.

I also go to Ardnamurchan regularly and even though there are sheep in enclosed fields, there are loads of brilliant beaches and hill walks where you never see any.
talassie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-12-2008, 05:47 PM
Great to have all these suggestions. We are looking at self catering for a week or so with lots of good dog walks. Don't know whether to go for the forests or the beaches - spoilt for choice. Will be checking out all the places mentioned.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >