View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-06-2011, 08:31 AM
It`s difficult when you have a big dog that`s a bit fearful of other dogs tbh. Shamus is wary of other males approaching him - he stands rigid in fear and growls to make them go away. I get owners of small dogs who find this very funny as their little dog reduces Shamus to a quivering wreck. Then he starts with the blood-curdling snarls (his last resort) and they get the message. Well, the owners do. The dogs aren`t fooled.
Poor Shamus.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

05-06-2011, 08:41 AM
My lot are not particularly interested in other dogs and never approach them but are quite open to any dog that approaches them and judges each and every one on their merits, friendly playful dogs will be entertained for a while and unfriendly ones are usually given the cold shoulder. In a large open field I find it easy enough to keep my lot away from onlead dogs, dogs in training or anyone who looks as if they want their space. On narrow paths if we meet on lead dogs unless the other owner wants interaction I just tell my lot to " walk on" and they pass by without a second glance.
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-06-2011, 12:18 PM
Interesting question, but my reply is tempered with an overwhelming cloud. I have a SBT; therefore 6 times out of 10 we are avoided by most dog owners, the other 4 out of 10 have dogs they cannot/will not control and they are the problem as being a Sbt we will get the blame regardless of the "cause"
I have a middle aged SBT who is actually very tolerant, she is calm in herself and pretty level in her response to all animals. She never approaches other dogs and usually if the other dog is of the same ilk never the twain shall meet if we do meet other dogs its normaly a quick sniff or glance then off. She used to have a bit of a play with other dogs when she was younger but not now, although she adores a game with my brothers young Westie, and the GSD who lives opposite if we see them out.

a) Other dogs off lead and running about but owner gives you a wide berth and calls their dogs away.
I do the same, I am this type of owner I move
away simply because I am unsocial not my dog.
b) Dogs off lead but brought under owners control (eg made to walk to heel).
I do the same but normaly if this is the case get Sal to wait by sitting or lying, if I have no choice but to walk by close quarters I slip the lead on.
c) Dogs off lead but made to sit whilst you pass.
I am normaly this person.
Chellie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-06-2011, 12:50 PM
Originally Posted by youngstevie View Post
a) Other dogs off lead and running about but owner gives you a wide berth and calls their dogs away.b)

Dogs off lead but brought under owners control (eg made to walk to heel).c)

Dogs off lead but made to sit whilst you pass.

OK I have strange dogs because ours have absolutely no interest in other dogs.

However to answer the question

1) I would pressume the owner knows something about his/her dog that I didn't so I would call mine 'away'

2) Mine would just walk straight past and be under my control

3) I would do the same
It's not just yours

Mine have absolutely no interest in other dogs and don't approach them whatever the circumstances.

If an offlead dog approaches them they just give it a wide berth and carry on doing what they are doing.

So I would just carry on walking in the direction I am heading knowing that mine are not going to approach the dog and will wide berth it if it kicks off
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-06-2011, 04:22 PM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
I would try and get mine out of the way if possible, but they are not perfect and don't always listen. I tend to go by the unwritten rule that if a dog is on lead and I don't know them, I try not to let mine go near. If they are off lead, they are free to meet. I would say if the owner chooses to keep their dogs off lead, people are going to assume they are ok to meet.

I would maybe think about putting them on a lead if they have issues with other dogs, Leanne. Most people are not going to "get" that you giving someone the wide birth with your dogs still running around is a clue that you don't want them to meet. At least if they are put back on lead the signal is a bit more obvious.

I don't think the average joe will understand the "NO DOGS" collar thing, either. I would imagine that most would think it was some kind of fashion accessory.
Originally Posted by greyhoundk View Post
Good post i agree with everything said here, if you are very dog savvy then maybe you would get a b and c but if a dogs offlead i end to assume its ok with other dogs. If i see a dog on lead then i put mine on lead. I'd like to think if a dog is not good with others or the owner doesn't want them to meet other dogs they should be on a lead.
I see what you are saying, it's a stronger signal to the other dog owner but if I put Flynn on lead then his reaction is alot worse. So for me, since Flynn nor Jessie will approach other dogs (Jed I have to be on the ball with) it's easier for me to just to put some space between us and other dogs.

If you notice that somebody is deliberately avoiding you (eg they take a different path when they see you) why would you think it's ok to allow your dog to go over? I have pretty well behaved dogs and dont need them to be on a lead to control them yet I should because other people dont have the same control? I'm not insinuating you dont have control Labradork or greyhoundk but even passing a dog 50 yards away I should lead up my lot because the other dog might come over? Mine arent in the wrong

I avoid populated areas so in general, public parks are not frequented by me and I choose large open spaces where there is room to avoid dogs if I want. I understand that there are millions of pooches in this country and we are bound to come across some on a walk but it irks me when people dont respet the personal space you are trying to create around you.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-06-2011, 04:47 PM
Originally Posted by Leanne_W View Post
I see what you are saying, it's a stronger signal to the other dog owner but if I put Flynn on lead then his reaction is alot worse. So for me, since Flynn nor Jessie will approach other dogs (Jed I have to be on the ball with) it's easier for me to just to put some space between us and other dogs.

If you notice that somebody is deliberately avoiding you (eg they take a different path when they see you) why would you think it's ok to allow your dog to go over? I have pretty well behaved dogs and dont need them to be on a lead to control them yet I should because other people dont have the same control? I'm not insinuating you dont have control Labradork or greyhoundk but even passing a dog 50 yards away I should lead up my lot because the other dog might come over? Mine arent in the wrong

I avoid populated areas so in general, public parks are not frequented by me and I choose large open spaces where there is room to avoid dogs if I want. I understand that there are millions of pooches in this country and we are bound to come across some on a walk but it irks me when people dont respet the personal space you are trying to create around you.
Ahh, you see if someone takes a different path (say, if you were in woodland where there are generally lots of different pathways) or moves aside with their dogs still off lead, that to me isn't an indicator that they have an issue with meeting others. If on the other hand I saw someone coming towards me with a dog on lead or putting their dog on a lead, I would extend the courtesy and do the same to mine or go in another direction.

I would say the average dog owner isn't particularly good at reading in between the lines in the situations you describe. I also wouldn't hesitate to ask someone if they can call their dogs away for whatever reason. Provided you are not rude about it, most people should oblige.
greyhoundk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-06-2011, 05:11 PM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
Ahh, you see if someone takes a different path (say, if you were in woodland where there are generally lots of different pathways) or moves aside with their dogs still off lead, that to me isn't an indicator that they have an issue with meeting others. If on the other hand I saw someone coming towards me with a dog on lead or putting their dog on a lead, I would extend the courtesy and do the same to mine or go in another direction.

I would say the average dog owner isn't particularly good at reading in between the lines in the situations you describe. I also wouldn't hesitate to ask someone if they can call their dogs away for whatever reason. Provided you are not rude about it, most people should oblige.
I agree again
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-06-2011, 05:15 PM
[B][QUOTE=Chellie;2274285]It's not just yours

Mine have absolutely no interest in other dogs and don't approach them whatever the circumstances.

we've just had a day out today, a guy was most determined to get his Boxer involved with ours in the river.....they totally ignored it.....such snobs
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-06-2011, 05:33 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
It`s difficult when you have a big dog that`s a bit fearful of other dogs tbh. Shamus is wary of other males approaching him - he stands rigid in fear and growls to make them go away. I get owners of small dogs who find this very funny as their little dog reduces Shamus to a quivering wreck. Then he starts with the blood-curdling snarls (his last resort) and they get the message. Well, the owners do. The dogs aren`t fooled.
Poor Shamus.
That is something that gets on my wick!!

edit; the fact that people laugh while their dog 'bullies' another
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-06-2011, 05:41 PM
Originally Posted by Leanne_W View Post

well, call me devils advocate here but...

perhaps they are assuming you should have the same level of control that you also assume they should have, just in other areas.

Also, if I see you taking another path with the dogs offlead, I may want to go that way and your dogs are off-lead....

I can see both sides really but I do think that it goes both ways tbh.
Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »