Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-06-2011, 02:32 PM

On/off Lead Etiquette

Ok, I know we've had loads of discussions and threads on here about under what circumstances we let our dogs approach others or not.

Anyway, just having a think about the various scenarios and came up with a few. I'd like to know if you would let your dogs approach or keep them away in the following situations:

a) Other dogs off lead and running about but owner gives you a wide berth and calls their dogs away.
b) Dogs off lead but brought under owners control (eg made to walk to heel).
c) Dogs off lead but made to sit whilst you pass.

I do all 3 of the above and it's my intention when I do them that I dont want my dogs mixing with the approaching ones. If I see somebody else doing the above then I bring my own dogs under control and dont allow them to go over.
The only time I ever interpret that it's acceptable for my dogs to go over is when a dog is running free and the owner makes absolutely no move to restrict their dog in any way. I assume they are happy to allow the dogs to greet.

I was out the other day and made Flynn sit when I saw a young, bouncy dog approaching (just the kind he dislikes) and I stood partially blocking him from the other dog. The owners shouted "it's ok, he's friendly" and I just said "well, he's not, thats why i've made him sit out of the way" and it seemed like they'd never even thought their dog may be unwelcome. And yes, I was quite abrupt but I get sick of it TBH.

Anyway, didnt really want to turn this into a moaning thread, just curious to know how people on here would respond to a, b and c.
Rolosmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-06-2011, 02:39 PM
I often get my dogs to do all three of the things you have mentioned, and respect by keeping my dogs away if other people do this, BUT the sheer number of people that let their dogs approach ours when ours are doing one of the three above astounds me.

I do the above until i know who the person/dog is (we have met on a previous walk etc), and know that our dogs will be okay together and that it is alright with the owners.

We have had to explain on numerous occasions that our dogs our pups and it doesnt matter what the other dog is like we want to know we can/have control of our dogs just in case one day it is critical.

The funniest thing we had was when one huge golden retriever we didnt know came bounding over, with no attempt by the owner to recall him, we ended up with him in a sit next to our two! He then came over to get him, dont think he could believe it and thought it highly amusing!
Jugsmalone
Almost a Veteran
Female 

04-06-2011, 02:42 PM
i get mine to do all three. my x-staffie is like your dog dosnt like springy hypo dogs but loves calm dogs.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-06-2011, 02:42 PM
In all 3 I would smile and say hello and thankyou
and keep the dogs away.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-06-2011, 03:02 PM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
In all 3 I would smile and say hello and thankyou
and keep the dogs away.
Ditto, my dogs run with a very select few after being given express permission from me!
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-06-2011, 03:06 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
Ditto, my dogs run with a very select few after being given express permission from me!
Tango
Is allowed to say hi but only when we say she can.
She has severe arthritis and bounces around other dogs, not a good combination.
Cosmo will occassionally sniff and say hi to other dogs but he generally isn't interested most of the time. He just wants us... Bless! They have each other to play with at home and seem happy with that.
wallaroo
Almost a Veteran
Female 

04-06-2011, 04:28 PM
Toby goes back on his lead if the other owner shows any signs of not wanting the dogs to meet (i.e. all the previously mentioned ones, or dogs offlead but obviously avoiding coming too close). I also call him back if an approaching dog looks 'too friendly' as Toby really doesn't appreciate being bounced on, sniffed excessively etc!
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-06-2011, 05:05 PM
Shamus ranges a fair way but is wary of other dogs so doesn`t approach them as a rule. (unless he knows the owners, in which case he squeals in excitement and bounces up and down like Zebedee)
Daisy ignores all other dogs and is fixated on her Ballie and Me.
so....

a) Other dogs off lead and running about but owner gives you a wide berth and calls their dogs away.

I assume their dogs are fearful or whatever and make sure mine don`t get too close.

b) Dogs off lead but brought under owners control (eg made to walk to heel).

as above. If it`s narrow path I might call mine to heel or stand aside.

c) Dogs off lead but made to sit whilst you pass.

I smile and say thanks. My dogs won`t approach theirs if they`re in a sit.
Murv
Dogsey Junior
Male 

04-06-2011, 07:11 PM
a) b) & c) I keep my dog away. However, she's a rescue we've only had for 3 weeks and has some dog aggression problems.

However, to be honest, even if she didn't have DA issues then I'd keep her clear as in all those scenarios it sounds as if the other owner doesn't want to invite a greeting.
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-06-2011, 07:12 PM
I wouldn't let my off-lead dog (Parker) approach the dogs in any of the scenarios you mention.

If people have on-lead small dogs he can approach unless the owner says they don't want him to as he would just back off if they weren't friendly, he is not a confrontational dog, very mellow for a terrier. I do ask them if it's ok first though!
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 > Last »