Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

24-10-2018, 08:43 PM
Originally Posted by CaroleC View Post
This is turning out to be a very long thread about your not using a lead. I notice that you have adressed the topic before. (See the first old thread below, from 2016). Why the obsession with discussing leads, especially if you don't approve of them?
Please.....
Where did I say I don't approve of them?
I always carry one. If I didn't approve...........why would I?

A little tail that might lighten the mood.
I went out one morning with the lead hung round my neck as usual. Our trek was intended to go by the local convenience store where I would usually tie him to the bicycle rail.

We are usually a lamp post distance away when I put his lead on. Problem. No collar. We'd taken it off to apply his flea drops. Oops. Not for the first time.

Just reversed the lead The hand hold over his neck. He'd probably be fine without it. But not a risk I would take.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-10-2018, 08:58 PM
I know quite a few collies - they are very popular round here - and I have to say they are all nigh on perfect! Totally obedient and loyal - too sycophantic for my liking, but it is always very impressive and as I love all dogs I love them too! Beautiful dogs, but just too good for me ...I love a challenge
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-10-2018, 11:10 PM
Believe me, Collies can be so mischievous . A beautiful breed. Quick, intelligent and love to have fun.

As with any dog, it's never wise to be complacent. Any dog can have an off day or simply encounter a distraction never before seen or heard before and become totally distracted.

Example, the collie I had went to college with me and he had a rock solid (or so I thought) drop on recall. We were out on the training ground, I sent my lad out and then ................

came the massive problem of a very smelly tractor. Something he'd never seen before, nor had he encountered the farm smells that came off of it. He stood stock still, thoroughly assessed the passing tractor, then remembered his recall and did, to his credit, drop when asked.

As it happened, my dog stood to look at the tractor rather than chase off after it to give it a closer looking over, but it could have happened as dogs, like us are inquisitive beings not robots.

Leaving outside a shop? I never did, never would. I value my companions way too much for that
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-10-2018, 02:21 AM
Originally Posted by Besoeker View Post
You can believe what you make up. It won't change the truth,
You would do well to remember these words yourself. Making up all these stories doesn't make them true. You would also do well to remember that talk is very cheap.
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

25-10-2018, 10:59 AM
Originally Posted by mjfromga View Post
You would do well to remember these words yourself. Making up all these stories doesn't make them true. You would also do well to remember that talk is very cheap.
No stories were made up. You would do well to remember that.
DobieWan Kenobi
Dogsey Junior
Female 

25-10-2018, 01:26 PM
I live quite close to you! Frequent Dunstable a lot. If you see me walking my dog, she doesn't like strange dogs coming over uninvited to "nicely say hello", and neither do I.

It's polite and safe to leash your dog up especially around other dogs that are on a lead. If you want to leave your dog to "politely say hello" to dogs you have never met, then be my guest but nobody will sympathise when your dog gets hurt or you get shouted at by an angry owner who's been working on their dogs reactivity/aggression/fear for weeks/months/years and now have to work through a set back caused by a "friendly" dog.

Not all dogs are friendly. It would be 0% effort for you to recall your dog and leash him up to prevent him from annoying other dog walkers. Yours doesn't even need a lead, you can just put him in heel and release him later. It's common courtesy. He'll go to "nicely say hello" to the wrong dog one day, and you won't be able to do a thing about it as the law will side with the owner of the leashed dog. That's your dogs life you're messing with just so you don't have to say "heel/close" when you're approaching other people?

You might not pass many roads but if you pass ANY people/dogs on your walks, then there is ALWAYS need for a lead. It protects your dog.
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

25-10-2018, 01:47 PM
Originally Posted by DobieWan Kenobi View Post
You might not pass many roads but if you pass ANY people/dogs on your walks, then there is ALWAYS need for a lead. It protects your dog.
I respectfully disagree.
I'm just back from an afternoon stroll. We met Dan, a dog owner friend. We chatted for a bit. Max just behaves and laid down while we chatted. Dan always comments on how well Max behaves. As do others.

I do carry a lead just in case.
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-10-2018, 03:53 PM
Originally Posted by DobieWan Kenobi View Post
I live quite close to you! Frequent Dunstable a lot. If you see me walking my dog, she doesn't like strange dogs coming over uninvited to "nicely say hello", and neither do I.

It's polite and safe to leash your dog up especially around other dogs that are on a lead. If you want to leave your dog to "politely say hello" to dogs you have never met, then be my guest but nobody will sympathise when your dog gets hurt or you get shouted at by an angry owner who's been working on their dogs reactivity/aggression/fear for weeks/months/years and now have to work through a set back caused by a "friendly" dog.

Not all dogs are friendly. It would be 0% effort for you to recall your dog and leash him up to prevent him from annoying other dog walkers. Yours doesn't even need a lead, you can just put him in heel and release him later. It's common courtesy. He'll go to "nicely say hello" to the wrong dog one day, and you won't be able to do a thing about it as the law will side with the owner of the leashed dog. That's your dogs life you're messing with just so you don't have to say "heel/close" when you're approaching other people?

Agree, I have had so many incidents with so called friendly dogs and their owners, it's past a joke! One of the reasons I have a D/A reactive dog, and she certainly wouldn't be happy with another "friendly dog" invading her space. Dogs are on lead for a number of reasons, including recovering from surgery, and I find it extremely rude for an owner to let their off lead dog approach another without asking first.

My dog has previously bitten two dogs she was onlead, the offending dogs were not, and both owners were shouted a warning to recall which they chose to ignore.
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

25-10-2018, 04:25 PM
Maybe I'm just lucky.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-10-2018, 06:31 PM
Yes you are just lucky and ignorant. But there will likely come a day when your luck will run out due to your ignorance and you will wish you listened to people instead of putting on your show here. I'm done with this thread on that note.
Page 8 of 12 « First < 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 > Last »