Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Deccy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-07-2007, 10:34 PM

Overnight Success?

I have often wondered whether so-called "overnight sensations" are really that or whether such people have been struggling along for years and suddenly had a break. This is not confined to the big events in the entertainment industry; on a personal note, when I was studying to be an accountant, my father would not enter into any financial discussions with me as I "wasn't qualified". However, virtually the day after I passed my last exam, he was asking me all kinds of things expecting me to quote tax law at him verbatum. As I was in hospital with concussion at the time after a celebratory horse ride went wrong, it felt a little surreal and I knew no less about tax law the previous weekend. More recently, I have had some odd reactions (including "you were lucky") to my forthcoming publication from those who do not know that I spent many years in my 20's and 30's as a magazine feature writer and short story author. So - it hasn't exactly happened overnight and even "the book" took two years to get together. The other odd thing is that suddenly, people with a fairly tenuous connection with me are now expecting me to write original material for their club magazine on an on-going basis despite the fact that I am not even a member of that club! Why ask me now? I have been producing this work for years and they didn't ask me then.... in fact in one case the person making the request has been downright nasty to me on occasions! (This does not include a very nice request from a club representing a breed I have never owned, to reproduce an extract from the book in return for a plug, which I was happy to do.)
There are plenty of stories in biographies about well known people in various media and genre who slogged away for years without recognition then one day they were brought into the spotlight. Even TV programs such as Britain's Got Talent show this in many cases. Achievement, or fame, is the product of talent and HARD WORK over a period of time IMO. Luck? Maybe - but without the first two it won't happen or will not be sustainable.
Overnight success? I don't think it exists.......
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-07-2007, 07:49 AM
I think you're right but I would revel in your success no matter how long it's taken you to get there!