View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

27-11-2013, 03:23 PM
Personally I find the pack mentality works completely differently to what some of you say, my lot are a self contained unit not bothered by other dogs or their owners. If other dogs approach they will greet them and entertain them for a while but tbh they're just being polite as they have no real interest in them. They will happily pass by other dogs without acknowledging them if told to "Walk on" and they wouldn't dream of barking, lunging or snapping at any dog.
What you describe as pack mentality are just two or more unruly, poorly trained dogs who feed off each others aggression or gobbyness.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-11-2013, 03:51 PM
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
Personally I find the pack mentality works completely differently to what some of you say, my lot are a self contained unit not bothered by other dogs or their owners. If other dogs approach they will greet them and entertain them for a while but tbh they're just being polite as they have no real interest in them. They will happily pass by other dogs without acknowledging them if told to "Walk on" and they wouldn't dream of barking, lunging or snapping at any dog.
What you describe as pack mentality are just two or more unruly, poorly trained dogs who feed off each others aggression or gobbyness.
Yes and your dogs are all your dogs. OP is a professional dog walker. So at any given time most of the dogs she has with her are not her dogs (trained by her) and might not even know each other very well. I wouldn't like to predict what 'someone else's' dog would do in any given situation.

But talking about, not packs as such, but more than one dog, it got me thinking. My CKCS was attacked once - and it was by TWO boxers. Bella, my minpin has been attacked once (a GSD who roughed her up) and although it was only one dog attacking Bella the GSD was with another GSD at the time.

Now my pal Maggie, who's had dogs all her life and lived on farms for most of it used to have Jack Russels and when we walked our dogs together she would only ever let ONE of hers off at a time. She said that one at a time they'd never cause problems, go for other dogs or just disappear but if she let them both off she couldn't guarantee they wouldn't. That all the incidents they'd ever been involved in had been when both were off lead together. So she did what she considered best for her but mainly for other dog owners too.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

27-11-2013, 04:31 PM
Originally Posted by Tang View Post
Yes and your dogs are all your dogs. OP is a professional dog walker. So at any given time most of the dogs she has with her are not her dogs (trained by her) and might not even know each other very well. I wouldn't like to predict what 'someone else's' dog would do in any given situation.

But talking about, not packs as such, but more than one dog, it got me thinking. My CKCS was attacked once - and it was by TWO boxers. Bella, my minpin has been attacked once (a GSD who roughed her up) and although it was only one dog attacking Bella the GSD was with another GSD at the time.

Now my pal Maggie, who's had dogs all her life and lived on farms for most of it used to have Jack Russels and when we walked our dogs together she would only ever let ONE of hers off at a time. She said that one at a time they'd never cause problems, go for other dogs or just disappear but if she let them both off she couldn't guarantee they wouldn't. That all the incidents they'd ever been involved in had been when both were off lead together. So she did what she considered best for her but mainly for other dog owners too.
I wasn't replying to the OP but to Apache who seems to think more than one dog being walked at a time spells trouble. When no doubt those dogs who prove to be trouble in multiples are no better behaved when walked as singles, point being poorly trained dogs are poorly trained dogs they're just more aggro when they're walked in multiples and feed off each others behaviour and well trained, well behaved dogs are no trouble to anyone no matter how many of them are walking together.
Mattie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-11-2013, 04:35 PM
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
To me those dogs are lager louts not a pack, Like a group of humans, especially teenagers or children, it only takes one to start something and the others follow, in other words lager louts, it is typical behaviour for them.

The dogs that done the most damage to Joe and his fear of other dogs was 2 Weimaraners.

I used to have 2 lovely girls, Tommy and Dixie, they were obedient and full of fun, when out walking them they never put a paw wrong until they would look at each other and disappear. How long they were gone for varied but they became deaf to everything. Off lead one at a time and there was never any problems.
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-11-2013, 04:35 PM
It is odd. I love my sister in law..and her dog dearly but remember well the first time we went out together after I got Remus. I saw a very creaky old lab coming along so put Remus on lead but she let her big lively young dog bound up to it. The owner didn't mind at all but I was a it gob smacked by both dog them really. The lab had to keep changing course and steady himself while my sister in laws dog bounded around.

It's my SIL first dog and she adores him and she honestly didn't thinking twice about letting him do it because she thought he was dog friendly, but I think dog should learn some manners. Remus will sometimes sprint towards dogs but he stops a long way off play bowing and generally faffing and then comes charging back to me.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

27-11-2013, 04:43 PM
I think sometimes people who own "friendly" dogs seem a bit oblivious to the problems they can cause other people. I think dogs need to learn manners and owners need to be more considerate to others. My Mil loves dogs but is unsteady on her feet, so when she stayed with us we left her sitting by the lake while we walked the dogs in the woods, came back to find she'd been knocked off the bench by a very friendly and unruly Lab whose owner was unable to prevent what happened.
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-11-2013, 05:03 PM
I don't take lots of dogs out who don't know each other, and when they are taken out together they are always mixed carefully. Every time I get a new client they are walked by myself first, with no other dogs, then the next walk is with Remus and Tonks, and then the walk after that they will be mixed with whoever else I have to walk on that day, depending on each of the dogs personalities and needs. For example the collie wasn't walked with the puppy until the pup had grown considerably and I could introduce them carefully. I only have five clients now but they're a real mix of dogs.

Noisy bossy but underneath it all sweet natured collie.
Five month old springer x poodle who just loves life is very light on her feet, makes no noise and is happy to run along behind the others.
Very lovely ten year old choc lab....who ears and rolls in dog poo!
6 years cocker whose led a very sheltered life and keeps himself to himself.
Bouncy Labrador x cocker who loves everybody and running......and wrestling Remus.

There's also two more pups in the offing at the moment so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I'll be walking them soon. : )
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-11-2013, 05:11 PM
I wouldn't have let the dog off. Nigredo is but a puppy and he tends to go up to other dogs and I trust him to be nice but don't trust other people's dogs to be nice.

Also, letting him off would ensure Jade went berserk as she would be unable to protect him. Letting her off isn't an option as she doesn't like other dogs and has no recall.

I would, however, have used some choice words...
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4