View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Kimbo84
New Member!
Female 

24-11-2012, 08:29 AM

Does Pedigree Complete Puppy Food really give my puppy bad wind?

My 11 week old beagle has been on Pedigree Chum Complete dry and tinned food since picking him up from his breeder. He looks fantastic on it, is perfectly healthy and seems to really enjoy it too.

He has really bad wind in the evenings.... Sometimes so bad it puts me off my dinner!!

I have been told this by a work collegue that this is because he is eating Pedigree Chum. Is this really the case? Has anyone else experienced the same problem?

I have a 10kg bag of the stuff so if it is true I will have to live with it until he hs eaten it all.....
Pep_Sounds
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-11-2012, 09:03 AM
Our pup came with a bag of large breed Pedigree Chum and I changed it as soon as I could (though obviously not immediately, as this would probably have caused more upset to our pup). When she was on this I can assure you her wind was almost toxic - definitely enough to clear a room!

I changed her on to a good quality no wheat/no grain/no soy kibble by James Wellbeloved. Her wind reduced noticeably and her stools firmed up somewhat too, however we have now changed her food again, to a wet puppy tray made by Wainwrights and am astounded by the difference. She rarely has wind (only if she sneaks some nasty from the ground when out on a walk) and her stools are smaller, don't smell so bad, and a much nicer compact form. We will continue to feed her this while we weigh up whether she may be better still on a raw diet.
Jesss
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-11-2012, 09:27 AM
Pep- did yours have the lamb jwb? Mine had that- no wind but his breath was toxic! Now on sneyds!
Pep_Sounds
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-11-2012, 10:42 AM
Originally Posted by Jesss View Post
Pep- did yours have the lamb jwb? Mine had that- no wind but his breath was toxic! Now on sneyds!
Used both Lamb and Turkey JWB - Never noticed any distinct bad breath, but again, since moving to wet food breath is also more pleasant.
Azz
Administrator
Male 

24-11-2012, 04:15 PM
Check out this quick start guide on dog food Kimbo:

Dog food info

My personal take on smelly farts/bad breath is that it is a sign that the diet is not agreeable with the dog. I noticed that when Rocky was put on Raw food he hardly ever farted and when he did they did not pong

I would always prefer a species-appropriate diet as just makes most sense.
Fivedogpam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-11-2012, 05:11 PM
Mine are on Arden Grange and don't fart at all - don't have smelly breath either!
Azz
Administrator
Male 

24-11-2012, 05:41 PM
Originally Posted by Fivedogpam View Post
Mine are on Arden Grange and don't fart at all - don't have smelly breath either!
I think someone should do a poll - how smelly are your dogs farts and what food do they eat
PB&J
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-11-2012, 06:39 PM
I do know that when Gracie was on Wagg her farts were horrific
Kimbo84
New Member!
Female 

27-11-2012, 02:47 PM
Originally Posted by Azz View Post
I think someone should do a poll - how smelly are your dogs farts and what food do they eat
Very good idea!

Thank you for your replies. I am now looking into changing Cooper onto something new. Have been recommended Science Plan and Eukanuba. Will check out the websites on nutrition and possibly try one of those.

Hopefully I will be able to enjoy my dinner once more!!
Pindonkey
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-12-2012, 08:30 PM
Originally Posted by Kimbo84 View Post
Very good idea!

Thank you for your replies. I am now looking into changing Cooper onto something new. Have been recommended Science Plan and Eukanuba. Will check out the websites on nutrition and possibly try one of those.

Hopefully I will be able to enjoy my dinner once more!!
I'm not on here very often but i decided to have a browse around tonight

Please,please,please stay clear of science plan, eukanuba, pedigree, bakers and the like! HORRIBLE foods(the companies all test on animals too) and recommended by vets with little or no knowledge into what the heck they just told you to buy!

I like the grain free options. Applaws is good, as is fish4dogs, acana, orijen and so on. Adult food is perfectly fine for your little pup too so i wouldn't be too worried about feeding it, puppy food usually costs a little more £££ too.

(ill probably totally forget i came on here today so i wouldn't hold my breath for me to reply )
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >