Pharoah Dog 7 21.88%
Saluki 6 18.75%
Greyhound 8 25.00%
Could be any ofthe 1st 3 options 4 12.50%
Greyhound or saluki - could be any of these 2 options 1 3.13%
Greyhound or Pharoah Dog- could be any of these 2 options 1 3.13%
Saluki or Pharoah Dog - could be any of these 2 options 5 15.63%
None of the above - please specify 0 0%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll - please see pinned thread in this section for details.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Benzmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-02-2009, 02:43 PM

Greyhound/Saluki/Pharoah dog or a n other?

Ok guys I need your help.

My OH was on a tv quiz today (for those who didn't already know) he had to say what was being described.

The clues he got were as follows

"I am one of the oldest breeds of dogs who's likeness appears on an egyptian tomb dating from around 3000 years BC. I am a slender but strong animal. I am one of the fastest breeds of dog reaching around 37 miles per hour, I hunt by sight"

He buzzed in at the point before I am one of the fastest breeds" and he said

Pharoah Hound

This was wrong and the answer was deemed to be greyhound.

Now having had a nooch around the world wide web, and with the help of a few dogsey members it appears that the term greyhound is a bit ambiguous (sorry if this is not the case aI am not trying to offend anyone) And it appears the answer COULD have beem Saluki or Pharoah hound. In some peoples eyes it could have been between the 3 ie Saluki, Paroah Hound or greyhound.

What are your thoughts on this please

I will try to add a poll if it doesn't work I may call on a mod for help!!LOL
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-02-2009, 02:51 PM
Weren`t greyhounds called Gazehounds (sighthounds) in Elizabthan times? So I suppose it could be a generic term. Sounds a bit ambiguous though.
Mind you, the get-out is always `The judges Decision is Final`!
rachelsetters
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-02-2009, 02:55 PM
Well I too would have gone for Pharoah hound cos of the Egyptian bit but then again on hearing the fastest bit would have thought Greyhound - but still didn't know of link to Egyptians??

How did he get on though?
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-02-2009, 02:56 PM
As I have already said I was screaming at Stuart "Greyhound". Now having thought about it and talked about it with my hubby we have now decided that Saluki would have been the answer.(I never even thought about that at the time )
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-02-2009, 03:04 PM
Just found this on the www.
Paintings in Egyptian tombs of 4000 B.C. depict dogs bearing a close resemblance to the pharaoh hound. It's said several dogs were taken to Gozo, Malta, and Sicily by Phoenician merchants. On the island of Gozo the locals calls this breed the rabbit dog. By 1968, eight pharaoh hounds had been exported to England and were recognized by the Kennel Club. This breed was not officially recognized in the Unites Stated until 1983.

uh-oh Lynne and Stuart take on channel 5
Benzmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-02-2009, 03:07 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
Weren`t greyhounds called Gazehounds (sighthounds) in Elizabthan times? So I suppose it could be a generic term. Sounds a bit ambiguous though.
Mind you, the get-out is always `The judges Decision is Final`!
Oh thats interesting so "greyhound" is quite a "NEW" term. I remember on millionaire they let some guy come back because there was a dispute about the answer.

Originally Posted by rachelsetters View Post
Well I too would have gone for Pharoah hound cos of the Egyptian bit but then again on hearing the fastest bit would have thought Greyhound - but still didn't know of link to Egyptians??

How did he get on though?
Pharoah hounds can run atspeeds of up to 40 mph according to net. I think Pharoah or saluki. He was 2nd.

Originally Posted by Nippy View Post
As I have already said I was screaming at Stuart "Greyhound". Now having thought about it and talked about it with my hubby we have now decided that Saluki would have been the answer.(I never even thought about that at the time )
I thought Pharoah then on reading some stuff though hmmmaybe Saluki

Thanks guys
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-02-2009, 03:45 PM
I would say anything but greyhound. As I said, I bet there are a few right answers though and they just allowed greyhound.
Lionhound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-02-2009, 04:00 PM
I would say Saluki as would Stuart on his second guess if Greyhound had been rejected
lovezois
Fondly remembered
Female 

04-02-2009, 04:06 PM
I think it is debateable between the Pharoh Hound and the grreyhound, Some books and research say one and some the other . Saluki's are also known as Gaze hounds, and while an ancient breed I think they came into being around 5,000BC Whereas Pharoh's and Greyhounds came in around 4,000BC according to the encyclopedia of Dog Breeds.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-02-2009, 04:17 PM
I think the part that said "whos likeness" kinda takes it away from the egyptian thing,

cleaverly worded question,

I would say greyhound is the right answer given the wording.

ETA: but had I been there and on the spot, I prob would have said pharoh hound too...
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >