Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-05-2006, 07:08 AM

getting rid of smells

My Mums Boyfriend has just moved into a new flat, and the previous occupier had a dog.
All the floor smells of wee - and thats all you can smell now some of the carpets have come up.

What can be used to get rid of the smell of old dog wee, on carpets and on floorboards?

Thanks!
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-05-2006, 08:00 AM
urm hard one hevver if its all over the carpets ....perhaps bicarb ? sprinkle all over leave them hoover up it might help if not i would just scrub floor boards with a strong disenfectant like jeyes

sorry not muh help
kiwijan
Dogsey Junior
Female 

23-05-2006, 01:15 PM
I once moved into a new house where the previous owners had 2 dogs and three cats - the weekend we moved in it had rained and boy did it stink! Definitely shampoo the carpets, mop the floorboards with dettol or similar and open all the windows and burn incense all day! If you've got one of those little penguin steamers, throw a dollop of fabric freshener in and steam the curtains too. It took a good couple of weeks but the smell did go.

Good luck and enjoy your new home!
Kath
Sadly Missed
Female 

24-05-2006, 09:50 AM
You can buy special deodorising sprays, or bottles of liquid which you make up to mop the floor.,they are better than ordinary disinfectants which just mask the smell. If your local pet shop or supermarket doesn't have any try one of the pet stores on line. Logoes
Christine
Dogsey Veteran

24-05-2006, 10:24 AM
What about fresh lemons squeezed into v. hot water & washing the floorboards with that?
I`m using that to wash my tile floors & walls, not the problem with smells you have but its leaving my house smelling lovely
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-05-2006, 11:48 AM
Thanks everyone!

Will pass the tips on!
Ashlady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-05-2006, 12:06 PM
Hiya H - Not sure how you'd go about this on the carpets, but use Tomato Juice on the hard floors, leave it to soak up the odours (and it really will!!) then mop off and leave to dry
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-05-2006, 12:36 PM
I think they have thrown all the carpets out...Mum said they were foam backed, put straight onto the floorboards, so have stuck! Yuck!
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

24-05-2006, 06:19 PM
The best thing for getting rid of wee & poo smells Heather is normal washing detergant like Daz,Persil,Ariel etc.It detroys the enzymes which cause the smell in the first place.
Gellygoo
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-05-2006, 08:50 PM
Originally Posted by Steve
The best thing for getting rid of wee & poo smells Heather is normal washing detergant like Daz,Persil,Ariel etc.It detroys the enzymes which cause the smell in the first place.
That's what I was going to say, washing powder in the water is good.