Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-03-2008, 10:58 AM
Originally Posted by lore View Post
Heh, always makes me snigger when someone says to me that Dougal smells really doggy. Of course he does, he's a ruddy dog!

I say that to my OH when he says Bryan smells of dog

Silly man!
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-03-2008, 01:53 PM
Fudge definately has a rear end scent problem. It si the same smell we keep getting wafts off and it is getting stronger.I am pretty certain now that it is her anal glands.

Will leaving it till Monday at the vet affect her health, or do we just have to put up with smell till then? I don`t want to leave it if it will cause a health problem.
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

29-03-2008, 02:56 PM
Originally Posted by Fudgeley View Post
Fudge definately has a rear end scent problem. It si the same smell we keep getting wafts off and it is getting stronger.I am pretty certain now that it is her anal glands.

Will leaving it till Monday at the vet affect her health, or do we just have to put up with smell till then? I don`t want to leave it if it will cause a health problem.
Couple of days won't make any difference Rach if they're (anal glands) not bothering her - Is she scooting ? Sometimes they will also just 'secrete' or 'pop' on their own - this tends to happen when we've just set off with the dogs in the car on a long journey.

Fingal's build up over time and the vet just gives them a quick squeeze when he's in for his vacs.
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-03-2008, 03:48 PM
Right bit of an update. Fudge`s nasty smell has gone away......I did spot a monster poo in the garden so maybe this has cleared the gland?

My neighbours daughter also happened to pop round this afternoon and as luck will have it empties her brothers schauzers glands on a regular basis. Armed with some kitchen towel a box of treats and pleanty of hands I managed to feel around for where I thought I was pressing. I managed to get a small amount of clear fluid out but it was not smelly like Fudge had been.

I now have a non-smelly dog so I am hoping she is fine. Would you still pop her to the vets or wait to see if the smell returns?
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-03-2008, 04:08 PM
Wait and see
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-03-2008, 11:12 PM
Smelling again so going to phone vet tomorrow.
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

30-03-2008, 11:27 PM
I'll be honest Rach.....When we were with you at Easter Fudge had a doggy smell. Nothing bad, just doggy. I've never noticed the doggy smell on Fudge before but Fingal has the same doggy smell that comes and goes and I'd say it was more akin to that than anal glands..

Anal glands is a different thing all together and not what I smelled. Anal glands can be very strong (almost choking) like a tom cat. You don't really smell much when they're 'blocked' but when they 'go' they really go.

It could well be a very slight discharge from the anal glands but the smell I noticed certainly wasn't typical.
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-03-2008, 11:30 PM
The smell we have had over the weekend was enough to make us feel sick.....it was like a deep sweet musty heavy smell. Fudge when you were down was just doggy I agree. the smell comes and goes so much.....

See what the vet says tomorrow anyway.
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

30-03-2008, 11:33 PM
I've edited my last post Rach.

I know a dogs washing habits can spread the smell b ut to be honest (it's this simple) sniff her ****. If it's coming from there you'll soon know.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-03-2008, 12:30 AM
I bathed my three last night, when the rotties blow there coat, it can take ages, the coat is whiffy, greasy, dead looking,, they just hum, more so vinnie cos he has a heavy coat, I used vitacoat conditioner after shampooing them cos they can we whiffy agian soon after if the coat is still coming out, but this stuff is brill, with some luck its just down to her blowing her coat,,, keep my fingers crossed thats all it is, I hope I dont have to do vinnie again in a few weeks, hes a loony,,, nearly drowned himself rolling onto his back for a tummy rub, lol
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4