Our sister sites
Our sister sites
metz
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-03-2008, 09:22 AM

need advise

hi,
metz my 11 year old gsd is limping severely and crying out in pain most of the time, we took her to the vet friday and yesterday, they thought it was arthitis and gave her metacam , yesterday was no better so they increased her dose from her body weight of 35kg to 70kg and has to have an xray.
she hasnt done anything to break her leg (wrist) but it has been buckling a few times in the past. the only thing i can think of is if she has jumped off the sofa the wrong way.
the metacam is taking little effect and we are struggling to get her out to the toilet and she is unable to stand to eat. we are really worried and not sure what we can do for her to be honest. i hate seeing her in pain as i am helpless.
in someways i hope its a break as its treatable. any thought?
thanks

ash, family and Metz x
Moonstone
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-03-2008, 09:31 AM
Hi,
So sorry your lovely dog is unwell, when is the vet doing the X ray?? It is horrible when they suddenly become old isn't it Wait and see what the X Ray reveals, and try not to worry too much.

Just wanted you to know that if you need to chat there is always someone on here who comes along and will give you support.

Can the vet not give her more pain relief so she is at least comfortable???

Suzi xxx
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

16-03-2008, 09:36 AM
Very sorry to read this, it's awful when you know you're dog is in pain and can't do anything. If the vet doesn't offer it why not ask him about pain relief (In addition to other meds)

Like moonstone i am also no vet. but I would ask, at least the vet is then obliged to tell you why they can't give pain relief.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

16-03-2008, 09:46 AM
Poor girl, I understand your worry.

Take her back to the vets , and insist your vet does some xrays, you need to know if anything is going on in the leg.

Keep un informed,
metz
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-03-2008, 09:53 AM
she is having the xray tomorrow, we told the vet yesterday about the meds not working thats why he doubled her dose but he cant give her anymore of the metacam which is anti inflammatory and painkiller, which makes me think its not arthritis. i will see what they say tomorrow and if its arthritis then we will have to speak more about better pain meds, failing that then i really dont know. it makes it worse because she is old and you always think the worst. but nor do i want her to suffer.
she has settled a bit in the kitchen had to put her bed in there as she cant walk any further.
CLMG
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-03-2008, 10:08 AM
I've no advice or sugestions, just sending big (((hugs))) and Jack send gentle kisses to Metz hope the xray shows whats wrong.
metz
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-03-2008, 10:24 AM
thought i would add a couple of pics of the girl herself taken today

youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-03-2008, 11:43 AM
Big hugs hun....hope the X-rays go well. My older girl on Metacam and as you say if the dose has been up'd then thats all that you can do. Give her rest and have you tried a hot water bottle under her bed, hopefully near the bad leg
Katiecoos
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-03-2008, 11:57 AM
Aw so sorry to hear about the problems with your dogs leg. I remember the feeling well, when my Daisy hurt her leg. She had an xray, nothing showed up, so the vet said it was soft tissue damage. She too could hardly walk, she was only a small dog and even to pick her up and carry her outside she would yelp in pain. We used to shuffle her on to a coat and sort of use it as a stretcher to take her outside, but it must be quite difficult with a big dog. It did get better but took quite a long time. Hope your dog is better soon.
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-03-2008, 12:07 PM
My friend's springer takes metacam. I'm not 100% sure, but I think it takes time to get into the system.

I hope you find out what's wrong and the poor girl feels better. ((((HUGS))))
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >