View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Willow
Almost a Veteran
Female 

03-03-2006, 02:34 PM
Kelpie,Kelpie,Kelpie, oh yeah and Kelpie !

They are FANTASTIC agility dogs, if you want an agility dog, stay away from the Heelers (The Aussie Cattle Dogs) there is deafness in the breedm they are stubborn and can be dog aggressive like other ppl have said and the UK ones are a totally different kind of dog that is in Australia.
Kicks
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-03-2006, 02:38 PM
lol - are you liking the kelpies for agility then willow
Willow
Almost a Veteran
Female 

03-03-2006, 02:59 PM
Just a bit yeah
sportsmonki
New Member!
Female 

03-03-2006, 05:17 PM
if not a border collie/working sheepdog...I guess I would go for a mini/midi dog and my 1st choice would probably be the border terrier.
Kicks
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-03-2006, 05:20 PM
If I was choosing a small/medium dog i'd go for a Border terrier the same or possibly a JRT from a specific line
Jules1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-03-2006, 09:55 AM
BORDER COLLIES!!!!!!!
Nove Scotias are nice dogs but they can lack drive.
I have 2 border collies & 1 working sheep dog. She is much much faster than the other 2 BC.
Gems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-03-2006, 01:44 PM
Ill second that, Border Collies
Any breed can make a fantastic agility dog, it doesnt matter if they are the fastest, tightest, as long as they enjoy it, im for any breed having a go, but my first choice will always be BC's
gordon lover
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-03-2006, 04:21 PM
If you're only going out there to win then yep you want a Border Collie. They're intense, fast, and easily trained. There is hardly any chance for you now in large unless you either have a BC or some other type of fast dog (eg. Kelpie). But it just doesn't seem to be in the UK any more a sport that anyone can enter and win, with maybe 20 BCs starting in every class at every show then even the Labs and the oher big slower breeds that make clean runs will never place. The winners are purely BCs (example, wasn't the large UK team totally made up of BCs? ) and anyone else sadly hasn't a look in unless they are perfect. So then people go out and buy a BC, not knowing about the work and then look what happens. Yes, they are the ultimate agility dog, but agility shouldn't be only about winning!!!

Personally as I am an ABC handler (I'd love a BC don't get me wrong I just don't think that as I want to get somewhere in agility I have to go over to the "dark side" ) I'd say the Kelpie, the Koolie, working Labrador or the Standard Poodle (they can be amazing) and I will always always stand by the Vallhund for a small or midi breed. They are tight movers, concentrated, work hardy and willing plus super fast. The terriers are too tempermental for me.
Kicks
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-03-2006, 04:45 PM
Originally Posted by gordon lover
If you're only going out there to win then yep you want a Border Collie. They're intense, fast, and easily trained. There is hardly any chance for you now in large unless you either have a BC or some other type of fast dog (eg. Kelpie). But it just doesn't seem to be in the UK any more a sport that anyone can enter and win, with maybe 20 BCs starting in every class at every show then even the Labs and the oher big slower breeds that make clean runs will never place. The winners are purely BCs (example, wasn't the large UK team totally made up of BCs? ) and anyone else sadly hasn't a look in unless they are perfect. So then people go out and buy a BC, not knowing about the work and then look what happens. Yes, they are the ultimate agility dog, but agility shouldn't be only about winning!!!

Personally as I am an ABC handler (I'd love a BC don't get me wrong I just don't think that as I want to get somewhere in agility I have to go over to the "dark side" ) I'd say the Kelpie, the Koolie, working Labrador or the Standard Poodle (they can be amazing) and I will always always stand by the Vallhund for a small or midi breed. They are tight movers, concentrated, work hardy and willing plus super fast. The terriers are too tempermental for me.

Take a look at the IFCS world team - 8 dogs, 3 collies 1 kelpie in the two "large" catagories - hardly proportionate to the numbers competeing. The difference being the IFCS allows all dogs in comparison to the FCI which only allows recognised breeds in the teams home country, ie. a kelpie can't run for the UK as they aren't recognised.

In regards to only collies winning classes - i'd disagree, breeds such as kelpies and belgian sheperds also compete at advanced and champ. status - in proportion to the number of dogs competeing they do just as well if not better, alongside crosses - some of which have no collie in them. This country is blinded to the collie, taking a look at the dogs running at championship level (or equivalent) in europe and across the pond shows some highly successful breeds.

I'd also disagree that collies are easy to train!!! IMO that said I also wouldn't go to the "dark side"

H xx
gordon lover
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-03-2006, 04:57 PM
Well, I meant in the sense "easy to train" in that you don't have to go over something 300 times to make it clear in comparasion to a hunting breed (or my pig headed Vallhund who sometimes goes all stroppy!!) Easy dogs they are not.

And I'm not doubting you about the Kelpies and Belgains, I totally agree (they seem to be more worried about clean runs than BCs). Those dogs are amazing. Just your average Labrador or Golden won't. And should have made myself clearer, I meant more BCs and Working collies in the UK dominate Over here maybe 25-30% of dogs that run in Large are BC or BC crosses and the rest are another cross or breed. So you have a good chance no matter what. And as to america, if your dog can run clean there then you have a chance

There is a sad bit though, the FCI has said maybe they will prevent the UK and AKC from compeating in the World championships as they are not FCI members. Not a good thing imo.
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >