View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-10-2013, 03:53 PM
I wouldn't put plastic under either of them, wouldn't like to think how sore they could get. Remember my MIL's dogs had thick pads half way up their legs where they laid on hard floors all their lives, couldn't imagine not giving them duvets to lay on whether it costs more to do or not.
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-10-2013, 05:47 PM
Thanks for the ideas everyone. I'm going to try the rubber back dirt stopper type mat Pat suggested or a rubber backed bath mat, whichever I can get locally and I think that will do the trick. It's interesting to see what everyone else does.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-10-2013, 10:04 PM
Originally Posted by Julie View Post
I wouldn't put plastic under either of them, wouldn't like to think how sore they could get. Remember my MIL's dogs had thick pads half way up their legs where they laid on hard floors all their lives, couldn't imagine not giving them duvets to lay on whether it costs more to do or not.
I actually meant cover the duvet in plastic... but okay? As Brownie (my previous Lab) started dribbling at night, I simply wrapped his dog bed in a tablecloth to prevent having to clean it way too much.

Also every old dog I've had got a thick pad on their elbows... regardless of being indoor or not. Of having a bed or not. Nigredo simply refuses to lay on his bed, and I'm not letting him lay on mine anymore (way too big now) so he lays on the floor.

It's carpet, but not soft carpet, rather flat and hard, actually... but he lays there rather than on his dog bed. By his own choice. So be it. Dogs are animals and laying on the ground/floor doesn't seem to bother most of them.
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-10-2013, 06:46 AM
Mine like their comforts and I have never let them get the thick pads on their elbows all have been treated to the softest bedding I can provide, Mollie occasionally lays on the floor but soon moves to a bed and many of them have never lain on the floor. Preferring to be indoors even when we sit out side LOL

I don't think she would like plastic she is quite comfy as she is and I don't mind the washing, easy with washing machines as I said earlier not like I am hand washing it all.

Dogs may be animals but when I chose to own one I make sure they are as comfortable as I possibly can especially as they don't chose to live with us they have no choice in the matter. Used to treat my cats the same when we had them. Nothing too good for them while they are mine.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

08-10-2013, 08:40 AM
Slow motion video showing how dogs use their tongues to drink:

catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-10-2013, 10:21 AM
See Malka, look at that sensible dog with his nostrils above the water line so he can breath...maybe I should show that to my two loons!

Both my dogs are comfort lovers and will lie on the floor if they get hot. They have very comfy beds and sprawl all over our sofa too. I think some dogs are floor dogs though...depends on the dog.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-10-2013, 01:20 PM
Like I said Julie, the dogs lay where they want to lay. My previous dog Brownie mostly laid on his bed, but he lived to 15 and when we went out and he laid outside or rolled around etc. eventually he got the thick pads on his elbows as well.

I don't force the dogs to use beds, but I put something soft for them to lay on. Admittedly I'm about ready to take Nigredo's bed up because it's big and he hates it... but I've left it there for months now, and it doesn't seem like he will ever use it.

I don't mind washing, either... but I'd never, ever run a washing machine each day, it's a ridiculous waste of resources. That is where you and I are different.

I cover things with a thin plastic (doesn't effect the softness) rather than wash things each day in a huge machine.

Also, if a dog is in heat, or dribbles a lot etc. then they are simply not allowed on the bed. Doesn't hurt them. Our cats lay where ever they want... on couches, on beds, on dogs.

All I was saying is... if a dog wants to lay on the floor - let him! Thick pads on his elbows aren't a big deal. If young dogs have them, then they lay on hard surfaces too much... but older dogs tend to get them from just age and wear and tear.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-10-2013, 01:31 PM
Originally Posted by catrinsparkles View Post
See Malka, look at that sensible dog with his nostrils above the water line so he can breath...maybe I should show that to my two loons!

Both my dogs are comfort lovers and will lie on the floor if they get hot. They have very comfy beds and sprawl all over our sofa too. I think some dogs are floor dogs though...depends on the dog.

Nigredo only likes my bed as his comfort and won't touch his dog bed at all. His problem, not mine as it's there for him. He is now too big to be on my bed and will not be allowed up there any longer as he's not even done growing.

Jade is allowed on the bed, as she's much shorter of back and not as big as him and won't get any bigger (most importantly!).

Fear of sinking into things makes her lay only on mattresses and floors as those huge pillowy dog beds scare her. She sleeps in her crate, because I cannot go to sleep with both dogs in the same room (they don't like each other enough, don't want any problems), besides Jade has a bad habit of peeing at night, but doesn't do it in her crate... weird.

As for your dogs drinking, I suppose one just copied the other and now you have two drowning doggies!
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-10-2013, 01:35 PM
Originally Posted by mjfromga View Post
Like I said Julie, the dogs lay where they want to lay. My previous dog Brownie mostly laid on his bed, but he lived to 15 and when we went out and he laid outside or rolled around etc. eventually he got the thick pads on his elbows as well.

I don't force the dogs to use beds, but I put something soft for them to lay on. Admittedly I'm about ready to take Nigredo's bed up because it's big and he hates it... but I've left it there for months now, and it doesn't seem like he will ever use it.

I don't mind washing, either... but I'd never, ever run a washing machine each day, it's a ridiculous waste of resources. That is where you and I are different.

I cover things with a thin plastic (doesn't effect the softness) rather than wash things each day in a huge machine.

Also, if a dog is in heat, or dribbles a lot etc. then they are simply not allowed on the bed. Doesn't hurt them. Our cats lay where ever they want... on couches, on beds, on dogs.

All I was saying is... if a dog wants to lay on the floor - let him! Thick pads on his elbows aren't a big deal. If young dogs have them, then they lay on hard surfaces too much... but older dogs tend to get them from just age and wear and tear.
Gosh my machine is on several times a day, uniforms need washing, all my husbands cloths from his job, day time clothing, night time clothing, bedding and dog towels and their bedding.

Is it a waste of resources to keep clean ? I don't think so. But if you do we'll agree to differ.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-10-2013, 01:46 AM
Originally Posted by Julie View Post
Gosh my machine is on several times a day, uniforms need washing, all my husbands cloths from his job, day time clothing, night time clothing, bedding and dog towels and their bedding.

Is it a waste of resources to keep clean ? I don't think so. But if you do we'll agree to differ.
Lol... that's funny. I know nobody who runs a washing machine several times a day. Seems obsessive more than anything else to me.

There is a solid reason the term "laundry day" came into existence. It implies that the laundry isn't done each day (especially several times a day)... which it isn't for many, many people.

ADDED:

It can be a waste of resources to "keep clean". I knew of a woman who worked at home, on her computer, in her house for a living and showered 4 times daily no matter what. There is almost NO WAY she would have actually NEEDED to do that, so it was a huge waste of water.

Admittedly I'm not the cleanest, neatest person on the planet, but OCD is real, you know.
Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »