Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-08-2010, 03:15 PM
Originally Posted by Murf View Post
I always remember seeing some boxers in the states doing obedience.. looked really proud doing it to..
theres a few in this country too, & do well!
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

15-08-2010, 03:17 PM
Originally Posted by mishflynn View Post
theres a few in this country too, & do well!
Are they as accepted as any other dog??
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-08-2010, 03:30 PM
Originally Posted by Murf View Post
Are they as accepted as any other dog??
If they work well of course
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-08-2010, 03:40 PM
Tons of breeds compete in UK ob.

Why do collies excell?
Because they can cope with the type of intense training, & are in general will be happy to repeat repeat repeat
- you said it better than me!
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-08-2010, 04:17 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
UK obedience is judged with a collie work type base line, if you look at other countries USA for example. They have many other breeds competing and doing well but they don't have a winner takes all system as we do, they qualify rather like our working trials.

rune
Have to disagree with you regarding Obedience being judged on a BC work lines, it developed from Service dogs trials(now called Working Trials)& developed for GSDs originally. I certainly do not judge nor set my tests for Collies, I set them to test the partnership between handler & dog & frequently have non collies placed & winning my classes.

In the USA as with FCI obedience the tests are set-there is no deviation allowed-no individuality allowed for the judges-so no matter who is judging the test is exactly the same. You are not allowed to give commands other than at the start of heel work & when instructed to by the steward.

Many people abroad prefer the UK Obedience, because of the variation allowed within the rules. A lot of people who do not know me think I am a "Collie"judge when in fact I am an Obedience judge whose favourite breed is the GSD & I judge the work & not the"style"nor the breed(had a Staffie X win one of my classes & not a collie in sight !)

Collies do well because as Mish has written they can cope with the level of training required, simply because of their original work, the same goes for the GSD. However the most important thing in obedience is the relationship between the handler & the dog & the handler's training ability. I know two super collies who are really hampered by the handler & he's a friend of mine-I long to get my hands on the dogs, but they are his dogs & so I bite my tongue.
tillytheterrier
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-08-2010, 04:18 PM
I compete (all be it at a fairly low level!) with a terrier, another breed not known for their obedience! I think collies are easier to work with as they find joy in pleasing their owners. Most love to work but I think it comes down to the dog as well. If you can find a dog willing to learn and you are prepared to put the work in, most dogs will be able to do the basics. I've always fancied entering a class with a greyhound!
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-08-2010, 04:25 PM
hey there are ALOT of crap collies out there!
gsdgirl:-)
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-08-2010, 05:30 PM
At the agility class we go to most are Collies, some are fantistic, others not so good!
I do have to add though that my GSD Flynn completed a tunnel out the other back on himself over a jump then through another tunnel, hope you get the picture! Sort of figure of eight (there has to be a proper name but i wouldn't know it!) was told by the instructor, that he is the first one ever to do that on the second lesson and she's looking at great things for him! i was so proud

A Collie in Flynns class had the drive but i found the owners were relying on this, the dog was let down but the owners lack of motivation.

I wouldn't know anything, like i said second lesson! but these were my observations

The right owner and the right dog together is the right balance xx
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-08-2010, 06:04 PM
Tons of breeds compete in UK ob.

Why do collies excell?
Because they can cope with the type of intense training, & are in general will be happy to repeat repeat repeat
They compete but the ones that end up in c are generally collies.

The odd one that is not a collie is held up as an example to say that it is possible but they are the exception.

I think HTM h/w will go the same way. Already the majority doing well are collies. The freestyle is more open.

rune
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-08-2010, 06:07 PM
The fact that they created an ABC class in agility says that collies are going to be better than other breeds as a general rule. If it was a level playing field they wouldn't have bothered.

The fact that the rule for the regional obedience says only one collie allowed in the team also says that they will be best.

rune
Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »