View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lesley J
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-07-2010, 12:11 PM
Yeah we did and didnt do too bad! If I can get some phots on here I'll show you her competing! She wasnt the fastest but very realiable almost always came home with a clear round rosette! At our first independant comp we had a first!! I know its hard to believe against all those collies! But slow and steady can win as she was the only one to go clear!!! Go for it with Monty and have some fun! I miss poppy doing agility but it was a hard choice to retire her!
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-07-2010, 12:13 PM
Originally Posted by Lesley J View Post
Yeah we did and didnt do too bad! If I can get some phots on here I'll show you her competing! She wasnt the fastest but very realiable almost always came home with a clear round rosette! At our first independant comp we had a first!! I know its hard to believe against all those collies! But slow and steady can win as she was the only one to go clear!!! Go for it with Monty and have some fun! I miss poppy doing agility but it was a hard choice to retire her!
I'd love to see photo's if you have them! How long did it take you to get her to competition level?
Lesley J
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-07-2010, 03:27 PM
This was poppy's first show where she got a 1st rosette!!amera121.jpg[/IMG]

Picture 2 & 3 was a match day between our club and another local club, and the last one was poppy's last KC show and I'm so glad that I got it as its a reminder of how good she was!

It was quite funny really how we started, a few of us got together in a pub and we all wanted the same thing! So start an agility club as you do over a drink or 2!! And the club was only for a social gathering for our dogs and handlers none of us wanted to compete (yeah right!) that is until you've been to a local show and then the bug bites you big time!! We had only started training in the Feb and poppy was entered into her first show by May! We didnt really have an instructor just 2 people who had some experience! that was nearly 4yrs ago and myself and my friend now run the club and have a waiting list! We look back at how we started and thin OMG! and laugh at ourselves! We are still learning!

Poppy is a really good example of her breed as in temperment and personality! She is know as Queen poppy to may friends! She is fantastic with any dogs that she comes across, She has had such an active life from 6mths I started her showing career, she also done a little bit of Obedience comps then started agility at 6yrs, her life has never been boring!! I so wish I started agility with her when she was younger, but through her health I've had to rest her! But in general she's still known as the B.B,B,B Which stands for the Barking, Bouncing, Barging boxer!

Sorry to go on about my girl! But I love her sooo much and can't wait to get another one!

I've seen another link about Monty as I wasnt aware that he has been poorly! Hope he's ok now and back to his norm[IMG]]al Boxer ways!

You never know we might meet up around the agility shows!

Here's a photo of Poppy at her last show where she finsished 1st which was fantastic as this was her last KC show too!http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/lesleyjones01/1stinshow06.jpg[/IMG

Sorry about any errors I've made!!
Lesley J
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-07-2010, 03:29 PM
Sorry here's her show pic!
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-07-2010, 03:37 PM
OMG - Queen Poppy is a stunner
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-07-2010, 06:19 PM
Wow Poppy is gorgeous and she certainly looks very focused on her agility! If only Monty were that focussed!

We've been going for a few months now and if i'm honest I don't think he'll ever be at competition level but like you've i've caught the bug and would love to compete with him! We work hard at it though so maybe one day we might get there!

If not, I always plan on having a second boxer so i will start a lot earlier with my second!
Moli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-07-2010, 06:21 PM
What a beautiful girl...love her agility pictures...
Lesley J
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-07-2010, 09:07 PM
Thank you for your lovely comments! do you know whats it like when you've got a dog and they are just that bit more special than any other! Well thats poppy is to me a Dog in a million!

Esme Monty will click one day with agility, when we start taking on new members, sometimes with some of the dogs we are thinking OMG what have we here, but all of a sudden things start to change and the dogs have cracked it! its the owners that need to work on their handling skills to help the dog and give the right signals, I was told once that poppy knows what she's doing it was me getting it wrong, and always remember its not the dogs fault they are only following our commands! once you get back into training monty will get back into it and there will be no stopping you both. Hey become a member of Agility Voice mag and let the agility world you have a boxer in training!! I did that with poppy and people recognised me at shows!! It would be great to see another boxer in there!!
gilli and jago
Dogsey Junior
Female 

23-07-2010, 11:53 AM
Hi, I've only joined a little while ago and really enjoying reading your updates. Please carry on posting
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-07-2010, 09:47 PM
Ok guys so it's been a fair while since I posted an update so I thought i'd do one tonight!

I've lost count of what session/week he is on so it's just a general update of the last month since he returned to agility following his operation.

So we returned to agility the week after he had his stitches out and i wasn't expecting much from him as he had missed 3 weeks but i was pleasantly surprised. He remembered his jumps really well and was still loving the tunnel!

Over the last few weeks we've worked on sending on over the jumps so he has to head towards a pot at one end with me stood next to him at the start point instead of me standing ahead of him at the second jump. He can do this pretty well but only if there is a target point at the other end. He's getting better though and with a bit of practice i reckon he'll be ok. I'm going to set up one jump in the garden (we've only got room for one!) and use this to practice sending him on without having a target point.

There have also been a lot of changes at agility - some of his classmates have moved up a level and some newcomers have joined which means amazingly Monty is kind of the most experienced dog in the class! Note how i used most experienced instead of the best! As a result of being the longest serving member he is now often used as the demonstrator to the newer class members! No pressure!

This week we practiced the dog walk/ramp thing and he remembered this one well. He loves anything where he has to climb up and be higher than everyone else! This was used to demonstrate the fact that he must hit target points when coming off ramps and he must come all the way down rather than cutting corners and coming off early. He did pretty well at this which was good as he hasn't done the ramp/dog walk for ages.

The biggest issues we're having at the moment is his concentration and a bit of general obedience really. He is by far the most unruly dog at agility and i often feel very jealous of the others who's dogs all heel nicely and pay attention to their owners so i've set my own homework of improving his concentration and really working hard on his walking to heel. It feels like mission impossible at the moment but he's learnt loads of other tricks and stuff so i figure he must be capable of learning this too.

It's been interesting because i already find myself thinking of what i'd do differently with my next dog and how i'd train things from an early age with agility in mind. That's not to say i've given up on Monty though - he'll get there but it's going to take a lot of time!

Thanks for reading and thanks for your continued interest folks!
Page 7 of 9 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 9 >