View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

21-10-2015, 05:17 PM
Yeah but my best pension is from a company I only worked there for 11 years so it can be worth it but I guess my point is we all knew if we were lucky we'd become old enough to retire so we should have planned for it over the past 40 to 50 years, it's not like we didn't know it was coming.
fernackerpan
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-10-2015, 05:32 PM
Without discussing finances, I did pay into one pension scheme but I could not afford to pay into two.

So IF and it is a big IF, WASPI do get to change this, all the people who do not agree with this campaign will not accept their pension earlier?
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

21-10-2015, 05:41 PM
I don't believe it will change for the reasons already stated.
I didn't pay into two at the same time, they were taken out/ joined at different times in my life and in different jobs. I knew retirement was coming although with my family history I'll be shocked if I ever draw my state pension but it's my life, I have to live it and didn't want to rely on the state pension. So I took steps to ensure I wouldn't be living in poverty in my old age. I expect you could have done the same. I saved, I invested in my home so that if push comes to shove I can downsize and live on the proceeds. My mums generation didn't have the same choices but come on we're roughly the same age, less than a year between us, so you had the same options available to me.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

21-10-2015, 06:01 PM
I thought so, the changes to the state pension age were announced a long time ago, yes they've been adjusted since but it's the government nothing is written in stone.
http://www.web40571.clarahost.co.uk/...PA_history.htm

On a practical note can't you claim jsa if you can't find work, it's not as much as the state pension but it's more than nothing.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-10-2015, 06:09 PM
It won't change, but the last Tory Government were totally unfair in how they brought the raised ages in. Usually they give a five year window minimum for who it will affect so that those who have planned for retirement finances have a chance to get them in order before decisions are made, it was much reduced this time
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-10-2015, 07:55 AM
Don't understand this because my daughter who is 40 next year can't retire till she is 69. I suppose really if you are able and can work and want to then you should be able to. I just think that the hourly rate for workers is pathetic.
Meg
Supervisor

22-10-2015, 10:02 AM
I already get a basic state pension and have done for some years, it is currently £115.95 per week.

Those who have to work longer will receive the 'new' state pension which will be a minimum of £151.25 a week so work longer get more.
The new pension rate is not available do those on existing pensions they will continue to receive the 'old' rate.

It is 'swings and roundabouts' really , I am not grumbling
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

22-10-2015, 11:03 AM
Originally Posted by Meg View Post
I already get a basic state pension and have done for some years, it is currently £115.95 per week.

Those who have to work longer will receive the 'new' state pension which will be a minimum of £151.25 a week so work longer get more.
The new pension rate is not available do those on existing pensions they will continue to receive the 'old' rate.

It is 'swings and roundabouts' really , I am not grumbling
Not true mine isn't due to be paid until 2020 and my pension forecast tells me that I will get £119 a long way short of £151.25 that is only available to people who opted in back in the 70's whereas the vast majority opted out, not that anyone understood what they were opting in or out of.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

22-10-2015, 11:21 AM
This might help if you understand Government double speak.

Valuing your National Insurance contributions and credits made before 6 April 2016
Your National Insurance record before 6 April 2016 is used to calculate your ‘starting amount’. This is part of your new State Pension.

Your starting amount will be the higher of either:

the amount you would get under the current State Pension rules (which includes basic State Pension and Additional State Pension)
the amount you would get if the new State Pension had been in place at the start of your working life
Your starting amount will include a deduction if you were contracted out of the Additional State Pension. You may have been contracted out because you were in a certain type of workplace, personal or stakeholder pension.

If your starting amount is less than the full new State Pension

You may be able to get more State Pension by adding more qualifying years on your National Insurance record after 5 April 2016 (until you reach the full new State Pension amount or reach State Pension age - whichever is first).

Each qualifying year on your National Insurance record after 5 April 2016 will add about £4.32 a week (which is £151.25 divided by 35) to your new State Pension.
fernackerpan
Dogsey Junior
Female 

26-10-2015, 06:27 PM
Update for those interested from WASPI:

"MORE POLITICAL SUPPORT!
it just gets better - Baroness Joan Bakewell to ask question in the House of Lords on the 23rd November asking Government to compensate WASPI women!
Joan contacted WASPI initially via Twitter, followed by a phone call. She was open to suggestions as to how she could support us. It was her suggestion to raise a question.
Onwards and Upwards!!!!
Anne"

Onwards and upwards!
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >