Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tori
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-02-2008, 05:20 PM

Annoying Weed!!

Does anyone else get annoyed with sticky willies lol I dont know what the real name is for the plant but they stick to your clothes, they seem to be everywhere i go with Harvey, he comes in covered in the seeds all over his fur and face and he hates when i pull them out just collected a batch from him today, just wondered if anyone else has encountered them especially longer haired breeds.
Snorri the Priest
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

18-02-2008, 05:38 PM
I can't remember the correct botanical name, but the seeds are "burrs", and they are the very Devil! Fortunately, they don't seem to grow up here (never seen 'em, anyway), but my first BC and his cocker successors used to pick them up in large quantities, when I lived "doon Sooth". You just have to bite the bullet, sit down, and pick them out by hand

Snorri
kirstya72
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-02-2008, 06:11 PM
Is that the little round "hairy" things?
They drive me mad they get all stuck around Molly's rear end and her ears-take me ages to pick them out. She doesn't seem to particularly mind though
hectorsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-02-2008, 07:05 PM
we're about seeing the last of them ...for now!

its not the little ones that cause a problem. i'll sit for ages picking them out.
its them BIG spikey,sticky things that i hate. they clump all the hair and can cause horrible matts.i have to spray a small amount of oil to get them out.
Arrrgh!!
rachelsetters
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-02-2008, 08:01 PM
when you have any feathering or long coated breed NIGHTMARE - stickybobs I call them LOL! And the burrs are just as bad too - a friends dog came out last year almost green she had so many stuck on her!

And they are not easy to get out are they!
elmac13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-02-2008, 09:00 PM
He he... sticky willies! Have to pick them out of both of my spaniels. Rufus is quite content to let me but with Sam...they are HIS sticky willies and he wants to examine very single one you take off him!
Tori
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-02-2008, 09:15 PM
Originally Posted by elmac13 View Post
with Sam...they are HIS sticky willies and he wants to examine very single one you take off him!
Same here when i pick them off Harvey always wants to have a sniff, even though they are so small he's wondering what the fuss is about. I've learnt when i pick them off not to leave them on the table because harvey was having a sniff about, so it was round 2 of picking them off his beard. I know how my mum must have felt now when we were young we would have sticky willie fights and were covered and she was mad when i came in and had to pick them off my clothes and hair before being washed
Fliggle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-02-2008, 08:37 AM
Have you tried putting a thin coat on the dogs, that way it limits the areas the sticky bobs can attach themselves to. You must hate this time of year because if it's not these annoying sticky things it's snow turning your poor dogs' ears into snow balls.
elmac13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-02-2008, 12:36 PM
Originally Posted by Tori View Post
Same here when i pick them off Harvey always wants to have a sniff, even though they are so small he's wondering what the fuss is about. I've learnt when i pick them off not to leave them on the table because harvey was having a sniff about, so it was round 2 of picking them off his beard. I know how my mum must have felt now when we were young we would have sticky willie fights and were covered and she was mad when i came in and had to pick them off my clothes and hair before being washed
I had forgotten all about them until I got a dog and started going to the same sort of places where we went as kids.They were always sticking to my jumpers as well when \i was wee.
lovezois
Fondly remembered
Female 

19-02-2008, 01:00 PM
A nighmare, especially as someone said when you have a long coated breed with fringing.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >