Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Apache
Dogsey Senior
Male 

10-04-2014, 08:16 AM

HeartBleed Bug

Several tech firms are urging people to change all their passwords after the discovery of a major security flaw called Heartbleed.

Further list here
The Heartbleed Hit List: The Passwords You Need to Change Right Now

The Yahoo mail and blogging platform, Tumblr, Flickr and many more have advised the public to "change your passwords everywhere - especially your high-security services like email, file storage and banking".
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

10-04-2014, 09:32 AM
Thanks Barry, that explains the situation I have had with yahoo over the past month, they keep saying my account has some sort of security issue and I have changed my password virtually every day for a couple of weeks before they were happy. Also been blocked out of my ebay account twice now, can't be @rsed ringing them again to be honest, it goes over to America, I can barely understand what they say and there is a time lapse on the conversation, so will stay out of there until I have my patient head on, which isn't today. Besides my landline phone needs replacing as I can't hear on a normal phone and my amplified one broke!
My bank isn't mentioned either!!!
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-04-2014, 07:48 AM
I have not had any issues with passwords or whatnot, but think I'll change them all anyway!!
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-04-2014, 08:03 AM
Don't use any of those. Wouldn't touch hotmail or yahoo anyway. Gmail much more secure.

Well done for putting the warning out - it's apparently no hoax and a pukka one and a real threat.

http://www.snopes.com/computer/virus/heartbleed.asp

(I always check as so many scare hoax rubbish warnings fly around just cluttering up cyberspace with needless fwded on emls)
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-04-2014, 08:43 AM
It's absolutely not a hoax. I have been sent warnings from several sites telling me to change my passwords already. Have done that but didn't think Yahoo and whatnot was needed as they didn't warn me about it like some of the other sites did.

It is NOT a virus, but s security vulnerability bug that can steal passwords and sensitive data. It doesn't affect your computer, but Yahoo, Google, etc. servers instead.

Tawneywolf, I have never heard a person from the UK say our English was hard to understand before. After all, it is the same language and is both our native language. I have never had trouble understanding British, English etc. accents, either. Hmm... weird!
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-04-2014, 10:01 AM
Myra I took it to mean the line was bad not that TW couldn't understand American English (it's the only other language I speak fluently!)

TW here is a link to eBay UK Safety Centre. Having been both a buyer and a powerseller on eBay for some years before moving here I have never had to call to America to get help.

http://pages.ebay.co.uk/safetycentre/

and the eBay Discussion Forums (linked to at the top of your home page) are an excellent source of help and info for both buyers and sellers.

Click on Community and select Discussion Boards from the drop down list. Instant help and advice from seasoned sellers and buyers in there. Much better than contacting support.

It will take you to this page where you can either use the Answer Centre, or just type your question in, or select the appropriate forum for it.

tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

15-04-2014, 10:16 AM
I'm actually locked out UNTIL I ring ebay in America. I don't have a landline phone I can hear on at the moment, my mobile is great so I'm not fussed normally, however I can't ring an 0800 number from it. I am not at all convinced I WAS speaking to an American, my guess is that it was a foreign call centre where they spoke English with an American accent, when you're deaf its not always about volume, some words I get straight away, others I don't. Difficult to explain to someone who isn't. My friends are great and we have lots of fun when they have to spell words out to me....LOL...and I go 'oh yeah.....' duh!!!
I do better with those online chat thingys that lots of call centre places have, ebay will only let me phone them though.
Will get myself an amplified phone from Amazon, I have found one, its just buying it really in order for me to ring ebay, because thats the only time I'll probably use it!!!
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-04-2014, 10:21 AM
All very strange to me. However I don't see why you cannot get someone ELSE to use the Discussion Board and get some advice for you if you are personae non gratis with eBay at the mo. People often do that when the person with the problem is either banned, suspended or in some way unable to access their eBay at all.

I'm not at all convinced you would either have to 'ring America' or have to talk to 'an American'. Never heard anything like it.

eBay UK is its own big operation. Have sometimes had to call Ireland. But they have their own help and advice setup for UK Sellers and Buyers.

**mind you it has just occurred to me I am speaking from the assumption you are using eBay UK, and not eBay dot com?
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-04-2014, 10:23 AM
Meanwhile a bit of extra info here:

http://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/account...-problems.html

By the way you do not HAVE TO BE SIGNED IN to access all these help pages. I ain't signed in at all at the mo. Can't as I have to reverify myself due to using a different computer and can't be arsed to do that right now - if I wanted something for myself I would.

I've more or less stopped using eBay for anything. Find Amazon so much more reliable.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

15-04-2014, 10:40 AM
Thanks Pat, will have a look at them when I get back. Had son here looking at it, and all it will do is take me straight to a bit where it says to ring toll-free, which I can't due to the landline situation. No one believes me till I show them.
He did let me use his mobile to ring them, 6 minute wait and goodness knows how much a minute, so still in the same situation.
I have been using Amazon, there is stuff on there cheaper than ebay, but I like Harry Hall fleeces and there is someone on ebay who does them cheaper than anywhere I've seen, end of lines etc. not bothered, they are for walking the dogs!!!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >