Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-03-2014, 12:10 AM

Only 12 days left for XP

Microsoft are withdrawing updates and service for Windows XP in 12 days. This does not mean that it will stop working and you can continue using it. What it does mean is that you will become increasingly liable to collecting some form of malware or other security breach.

To be alarmist, it would not surprise if some malware/virus writer already has a bug ready to release just after the deadline, but this is pure speculation, knowing the twisted minds of these ******s.

The latest figure I saw (unsubstantiated) is that 37% of global Windows computers still run XP. For all OS, the figure is about 30%. The figure on my website visitors is higher (~42% and 35% respectively)

IF your computer has the resources to run it, then an upgrade to Win 7 or higher is recommended.

And this in conjunction with it

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/....php?t=4929790
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

28-03-2014, 10:08 AM
Thanks for that one, my netbook is on XP, and I had no idea it was about to 'run out' I'll see if I can get it to upgrade to 7, which I like. I've got it running on IE, and have been meaning to change over to Firefox, so will do that as well.
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-03-2014, 10:18 AM
Many years since I ran XP but it was the best OS I have used.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

28-03-2014, 10:27 AM
I like XP and I like 7, don't want to go there where 8 is concerned as I've not heard anything good yet!!!
Finding the netbook is very slow and that is why I am considering changing over to Firefox on it. Not sure if I can install 7 on the netbook, but will give it a go.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

28-03-2014, 11:23 AM
I wish I had a computer that lasted long enough to still have xp on it.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

28-03-2014, 11:28 AM
LOL, my netbook has outlived 2 laptops so far, its a Samsung, and I am hoping to be able to afford to buy a Samsung laptop, at the moment my laptops are Christmas presents from my son, so can't expect him to shell out loadsa dosh really.
I had a Sony VA10 that lasted for ages and thats another one I would like to have if I had the money.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran

28-03-2014, 12:17 PM
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
I wish I had a computer that lasted long enough to still have xp on it.
I know someone who was, last I heard, still using Windows 98 [or whatever it was called].

Since Effie built my first PC he has built me a few more - different size boxes, increased wotsits, blah blah blah - and I have gone from my original XP Pro to Windows 7 Ultimate.

He had my last but ??? computer back for servicing/summat had gone whoopsie, and I had his loan computer back while he sorted out mine. A rather elderly tower computer that he had originally built and keeps updated and working fine as a loan computer at times.

Not sure when but when he brought it here one time and it had Windows 7 on it [mine had XP Pro] I screamed at it for 24 hours - I hate Windows 7 I want my XP - and then it clicked so I phoned Effie and asked him to please get a legal version of Windows 7 for me.

No way will I even think about W8. As and when I need to replace W7 it will probably be W10 and I will only ever have my OS changed when Effie is satisfied it is 100% and recommends it.

[He is currently testing all proposed OS systems but then that is why he is a Microsoft certified technician and trainer]
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

28-03-2014, 02:29 PM
tbh I'm not even sure I can remember the differences, I just use whatever OS each new computer turns up with. I'd never go back to a desktop, dust gathering monstrosities, I'll stick with laptops thanx. All I have to do is keep the dogs off them, laptops and dogs ain't a good mix. I've just sent my big Tosh off for repair again, I think I've now paid for it twice over but the trouble is when you buy an expensive one it's easier to justify expensive repairs, whereas a cheap one I'd just replace. The Tosh is about 4 years old and the Tosh expert referred to it as an antique lol.
Apache
Dogsey Senior
Male 

28-03-2014, 08:11 PM
Originally Posted by tawneywolf View Post
I like XP and I like 7, don't want to go there where 8 is concerned as I've not heard anything good yet!!!
Finding the netbook is very slow and that is why I am considering changing over to Firefox on it. Not sure if I can install 7 on the netbook, but will give it a go.
You can check to see if you CAN upgrade, by downloading the Win 7 compatibility checker. Your hardware may not support it, so be careful.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/downl...ils.aspx?id=20
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

28-03-2014, 08:19 PM
do I do that on my netbook, saved by Barry - again lol
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >