register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

10-02-2014, 06:24 PM
Well I want to keep the domain name, as just paid for it for another 2 years, and I like the background as well. Is there no way I can save the entire site, I did it all myself, with help from my friend who was sat next to me directing traffic as it were.
Wondering if I should pay someone to sort it all out for me now, as I am so far out of my depth, the water is over my head. Then maybe they will write it all down for me, so I follow the instructions to the letter, and eventually I'll remember what to do without having to look it up
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-02-2014, 06:56 PM
If she's got all your 'stuff' on her computer you will need more co operation from her.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

10-02-2014, 07:08 PM
She hasn't got that laptop anymore, she has a tablet and says she can't do it from a tablet. I suggested she come here and do it from mine, have offered expenses even.
She said she was busy with work and staff holidays over Christmas, emailed her again a few days ago and not even a reply, so I HAVE to sort it out somehow, thought downloading the editor she used would be a start, but it doesn't tell me anything that I need to know.
Elaine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-02-2014, 07:24 PM
If you own the domain, you can change host, I'm sure if you google a few, maybe ring a couple, they might be able to talk you through changing hosts, then with new usernames and passwords, they may be able to help you get it all back on line. It may be your website is "down" for a couple of days, but once you get sorted, you should be able to do it all from your laptop. I have my own domain and cos I find it very difficult, I managed to link my one to a free Wix one.....which is easy to work, for me. I save everything on my laptop, so if the worst happens, I have it copied. Not sure how much it will be for some one to do it for you maybe have a look in a local paper, there might be some one advertising website building....

Good Luck xx
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

10-02-2014, 07:39 PM
I think I will go down the route of finding someone to help and educate me at the same time, I thought once I'd downloaded the editor I'd suss it out, but I don't know where to even begin.
Apache
Dogsey Senior
Male 

02-03-2014, 10:40 AM
Oh dear, oh dear, what you need is the HTML code. When you created the site with a HTML editor, presumably Namo, it will have created code, and that code should have been stored on your friends laptop before a copy was uploaded to a hosting site.

You need to get that code back from your friend and store it on your own computer, if you can't get it from your friend you can copy it from the host site to your computer. Then you can add your new pictures and upload it back to the host site. To do that you will you need the userid and password to access the site. You can do the upload using FTP, or a simpler process would be if the host site has it's own file manager utility to do the job.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

02-03-2014, 10:48 AM
Thank you, but I barely understand that, I can understand how I get the html code (from the address bar if I go into my site?) the rest I can't understand at all, baby talk please
I've emailed my friend and had no reply at all this time..... out of courtesy I have left it a few weeks, but nothing from her.
Thanks so very much for giving me a little more info, I wouldn't have known about this html code at all!!!!
I've got the passwords etc, but there is nothing on the trial namo web editor that tells me where to put the html code, and to be honest I think the trial period has run out, and I hesitate to spend £50 on something where despite an email to their 'help' desk there has been no acknowledgement.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-03-2014, 12:29 PM
Well as I said if she's got the 'gubbins' on her computer you need her co-operation (what sort of friend is this?) if she is saying she no longer has that computer - you are not in a good place to be (or at least not as good as you could be)

Know how you feel - the lovely lady who owns and runs PetStop where I board Bella had a 'friend' set her website up for her - the 'friend' upped and returned to UK leaving her high and dry. With people contacting her on her mobile all the time to tell her this that and the other wasn't working on her site.

She had to find someone else to do it as not only was she clueless she was FAR too busy (living on site and working full time there too). But chose a more professional organisation next time. Doesn't cost a fortune.
Apache
Dogsey Senior
Male 

02-03-2014, 12:44 PM
Originally Posted by tawneywolf View Post
Thank you, but I barely understand that, I can understand how I get the html code (from the address bar if I go into my site?) the rest I can't understand at all, baby talk please
I've emailed my friend and had no reply at all this time..... out of courtesy I have left it a few weeks, but nothing from her.
Thanks so very much for giving me a little more info, I wouldn't have known about this html code at all!!!!
I've got the passwords etc, but there is nothing on the trial namo web editor that tells me where to put the html code, and to be honest I think the trial period has run out, and I hesitate to spend £50 on something where despite an email to their 'help' desk there has been no acknowledgement.
Send me the link for your web site and I will see if I can help
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

02-03-2014, 12:45 PM
Yeah I am wondering about this friend, and also why this attitude all of a sudden, a great mystery to me.
One of the people with one of Mabs's sisters (Kaya) has become a good friend of mine, and HER friends OH is an IT person with his own business, she has had a word with him and I have his mobile number to ring. Obviously I'm going to have to pay him to help me, but will be wanting him to tell me exactly what to do, writing it down in baby talk for me. I can't afford to have to keep paying someone everytime I want to change stuff, Mabs and Kesh aren't even on there yet!!!
No ones ever told me about the HT thingy, so that was a complete revelation, so I have learnt something today that has been kept from me until now, thank you again Apache
Just seen your post now Apache, it is donehogawa dot com
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >