Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-12-2013, 09:43 PM
Originally Posted by Julie View Post
Could someone have had their email addy hacked and that is causing everything to go to all their contacts ?
My thoughts exactly. Some of these email problems just send out to everyone in a certain address book. (For the life of me I have never understood what these idiots 'get out of' doing stuff like this).

It is probably not a problem with your email at all Helena.

But it ain't nice getting a shitty email telling you to stop doing summat you AIN'T doing!

You should be able to check into the headers to see where it came from to them. But to be honest Helena I wouldn't lose sleep over this.

I do alert people when I get dodgy spam emails from them (I can tell they don't know it happened) just telling them to check their security.

Forget it girl. Won't cheer you up any to dwell on this little glitch. So someone got an email they didn't want. BIG DEAL. No one died. If that's their biggest problem in life LORDY AIN'T THEY LUCKY!

If you reply to them at all just say sorry I've no idea why you received this email, I certainly did not send it directly to you. It goes out to a specific group of addresses which I have checked and yours is not on it. Obviously I cannot divulge the addresses to you but I assure you I have checked. I'm sorry you've been troubled by this but really don't see what I can do about it.

Yours ever so 'umbly blah blah blah
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

09-12-2013, 10:08 PM
I got an email from someone I had never heard of before saying they were in Cyprus and had lost their purse and could I help them
The only thing I could think of (in the end) was that someone who had my email had had their address book hacked.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-12-2013, 10:15 PM
Originally Posted by tawneywolf View Post
I got an email from someone I had never heard of before saying they were in Cyprus and had lost their purse and could I help them
The only thing I could think of (in the end) was that someone who had my email had had their address book hacked.
Not really worth wasting time worrying about it Tawney. When you think of just how many places you have to 'give' your email addie to. In my case loads of them just to 'log in'.

And I do give my email addie to some 'strangers'. I will email people who have bargains for sale and all sorts.

I do have tight security on my puter tho. Because I use it for work. Gmail email security is the best I've had. No spam or junk ever gets thro and it warns if eml addies are suspicious or might not be from who they say they are from. In fact if I email anything to myself (which I sometimes do) it warns me about that.
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-12-2013, 10:15 PM
I got one of them A year ago now,thing is we had a friend on holiday in Cyprus at the time and I answered it Alarms bells rang when it asked me to transfer money..I rang Hubby who in turn rang the friend and of course all was well,haven't sent any such e-mail
Caramel
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-12-2013, 10:27 PM
Might also be that the person has a forwarded e-Mail-account, i. e. you are sending to "john.doe@email.com" and this gets forwarded to their actual/other address "peter.pan@hotmail.com" or whatnot.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-12-2013, 11:16 PM
Originally Posted by Caramel View Post
Might also be that the person has a forwarded e-Mail-account, i. e. you are sending to "john.doe@email.com" and this gets forwarded to their actual/other address "peter.pan@hotmail.com" or whatnot.
That's a possibility or that they have it set up like I do with my boss re Amazon stuff. Any email they reply to I've clicked for them to send him a copy of the reply.

Tawney asked me about the Cyprus one. It hadn't dawned on her that I don't even HAVE her email address and have never emailed her lol! Talk about the power of suggestion and association lol!
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

09-12-2013, 11:29 PM
Yeah I know Pat, but this person said she was in Limmasol Cyprus so I immediately thought of you, never thinking we don't have each other's email!!!
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

10-12-2013, 04:58 PM
Originally Posted by Tang View Post
I do alert people when I get dodgy spam emails from them (I can tell they don't know it happened) just telling them to check their security.
Hi Tang, yes that happened to me about two years ago, I was less knowledgible then and I opened the e-mail and immediately thought 'This doesn't sound like X' so e-mailed her and it wasn't

Strange thing is that 'X' was Helena

So now as soon as I go into my e-mail account I click on the SPAM folder and immediately delete everything regardless of who it says it is from. I do that now religiously, so Helena if you ever do send me an e-mail (Not very likely as we have the excellant Dogsey PM system) and it goes in my SPAM folder then I'm sorry to say you will not get a reply
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

10-12-2013, 05:06 PM
Originally Posted by Lacey10 View Post
I got one of them A year ago now,thing is we had a friend on holiday in Cyprus at the time and I answered it Alarms bells rang when it asked me to transfer money..I rang Hubby who in turn rang the friend and of course all was well,haven't sent any such e-mail
Sometimes they don't bother with e-mails, we had one on the UKWorshop forum (It's for woodworkers) the guy posted as if it was from one of the regular members and said he was in Ukraine on holiday and had his wallet stolen and could the members send him some money. SFAIK no one did but there were some intersting posts on that thread

ETA:-
"all was well" not quite Lacey10 since your hubby had to phone them and pay for the call so there's time and money wasted, why are there so many such useless creatures on this planet
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-12-2013, 05:07 PM
Yeah I know Pat, but this person said she was in Limmasol Cyprus so I immediately thought of you, never thinking we don't have each other's email!!!
Yeah and moreover I don't live in Limassol lol!
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >