Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

22-10-2013, 05:52 PM
Originally Posted by Nippy View Post
And start up page appearing everytime your curser nears the top left hand corner??? Urggghhhh drives me nuts!
I do not have to put my password in each time and I don't have to use the tile page to access the desk top.
I suspect we all have our PCs set up differently!
Nippy is that when you are on the desktop or the tile page, it doesn't happen to me
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-10-2013, 06:09 PM
Originally Posted by Lacey10 View Post
So every time there's a Windows upgrade,you buy a new laptop?
No I think you are confusing 'service packs' which I think of (you know 8, then 8.1, 8.2, 8.3 and so on) with a new OS. By which I mean from 97, to Millenium, to XP, to Win7 or woddever!

Some people do load the new OS onto a machine they bought with the previous one on it. Of course I do the 'upgrades' to the OS it comes with. I just don't 'upgrade' to a NEW OS!

I'm sure some know what I mean!

Not that I ever had Millenium or Vista because I was warned off them. But I won't be wanting to stick with Win7 now 8 is here because it is SO different. Eventually they stop supporting old OSs.

I posted to ask if anyone had done the 8.1 or are they waiting as I've been advised to.

Regards what 'people say' about a new OS - it's almost always the same coz they don't like change. When I got this VIAO preloaded with Win7 it came with a free XP installation disk coz so many had complained they wanted to stick with XP! Funny bit was they didn't include a disk for the operating system it came with (but then they never do!)

I dont' set any store by Microsoft Engineers I know a few and it was an MS engineer who almost wrecked this VAIO last year.

I understand 8.1 returns the START button for one thing! I'll have gotten well used to doing without it by then!

I use my tablet ever such a lot and my big Android phone too so it isn't such a huge change for me - works more like they do.
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-10-2013, 06:10 PM
Thankyou
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-10-2013, 06:11 PM
Here ya go Pat, I copied and pasted what Dave's Vodafone pal sent to him.

That Windows 7 util is at http://classicshell.sourceforge.net. It should be just a next, next, next type of install so go for it. Removing is simple as well if you hit any problems.

Once you have it installed, press Start>Run and type control userpasswords2 (you can then remove the tick from “Users must enter a username and password to use this computer”). It will prompt you for your login credential once to save that change.

He says once they get the 8.1 on the go, then you can just delete the Shell bit and go with the 8.1.

Hope that helps, but I'm glad I've got what I have, all too confusing for me.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-10-2013, 06:11 PM
Originally Posted by Meg View Post
Hi Pat that looks lovely . My son bought me a new laptop two weeks ago and I was horrified to find it had Windows 8 installed having read such negative reports about it.
I have coped with it just fine considering my lack of computer related knowledge.
I put all the unwanted tiles in the waste bin can't stand clutter.

I spent two hours on Sunday night working out how to get rid of the Chrome new tab page which suddenly appeared with even more tiles , oddly this only happened on the new laptop not the old one.

I read about the W8 upgrade and thought I might leave it a few weeks as I am in danger of 'brain overload' at the moment with all these changes .
That's a 'Chrome thing' not a Win8 thing - happened the same on my VAIO which runs Win7.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-10-2013, 06:14 PM
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
I really don't understand what is so difficult, for me sending emails is exactly the same as it's always been. The only difference I have found is the start up screen but I use that fleetingly, everything else is simple. Maybe I've set mine up differently to everyone else.
Yes I too am totally baffled by the person having email problems?

Considering how many hours a day I sit working on my laptop using the OS it came preloaded with (Win7 in the case of the VAIO) I've had NO problems whatsoever. I actually really like it.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-10-2013, 06:15 PM
I found the same Shirley the only big difference I noticed is logging on and off ( I have to put my password in each time I log on ) and having to go an extra step using the 'tile page' to access desktop.
Everything else seems pretty much the same as W7.
I don't Meg so that's probably to do with how you've got it set up. I didn't 'read the manual either' (I only do that if things go wrong!) and will say how to 'Shut Down' baffled me for a minute or two until I found where to do it in the side bar.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-10-2013, 06:17 PM
Originally Posted by Nippy View Post
And start up page appearing everytime your curser nears the top left hand corner??? Urggghhhh drives me nuts!
I do not have to put my password in each time and I don't have to use the tile page to access the desk top.
I suspect we all have our PCs set up differently!
Yes there is instruction on what happens with all the CORNERS if you put mouse, finger or mousepad in any of them. I will try to find a simple tutorial about that for you. I remember reading about it when Win8 came out.

They are called HOT CORNERS! And you can 'disable' them.

Mind you it's hardly worth watching any tutorials for 8 if the 8.1 is imminent really.

Actually I am editing now to say do it yourself Nippy because there is SO MUCH info on YouTube about this!

Type into YouTube search Win 8 Hot Corners and fill yer boots!
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-10-2013, 06:21 PM
Nippy is that when you are on the desktop or the tile page, it doesn't happen to me
Desk top.

Well the hot corners leave me cold
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-10-2013, 06:29 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
Here ya go Pat, I copied and pasted what Dave's Vodafone pal sent to him.

That Windows 7 util is at http://classicshell.sourceforge.net. It should be just a next, next, next type of install so go for it. Removing is simple as well if you hit any problems.

Once you have it installed, press Start>Run and type control userpasswords2 (you can then remove the tick from “Users must enter a username and password to use this computer”). It will prompt you for your login credential once to save that change.

He says once they get the 8.1 on the go, then you can just delete the Shell bit and go with the 8.1.

Hope that helps, but I'm glad I've got what I have, all too confusing for me.
You've confused me Helena - I don't want to go back to Win7 - I've got a lappy with Win7 on it.

In fact on my VAIO I have a virtual machine that I can use to run it as XP which I use solely for my Rosetta Stone Language course as it was one for XP.

A VMWare Player. Also use a Virtual Private Network to access my computer for work in the UK - so am using whatever that runs once I'm on that.

Anyway I look at that 'tile' - free upgrade to 8.1 with the preview available and am so tempted! So I thought I'd ask if anyone's actually bitten the bullet. I am watching the CNet and other tech site reviews on it.
Page 3 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »