Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lynne
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2013, 10:39 AM

Bread Makers

I'm thinking of getting a bread maker. I know several of you on here have one so a few questions?
There is only the two of us & we don't eat loads of bread - just a sandwich at lunchtime mainly & OH has a thick slice for toast for his supper. What size is the bread? is it tall like an ordinary loaf or just the size of a small loaf - or can you vary the size? How long does it take to do. I presume it depends on what you bake really How long does it stay fresh - would I have to bake a new one every day? I'm fed up of throwing bread out lately unless I cut the loaf in half & freeze it.
Have you any recommendations for one that's not too big. I've not got much room to keep it out. Thanks.
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2013, 12:33 PM
Depends which machine you buy we looked for one that made a traditional size loaf. Also we often use it just to make and prove dough then remove it and bake in the oven as pizza base,rolls or two small loaves.

Doesn't keep as long as shop bought as it doesn't have chemical preservatives in it. It does however make lovely toast after a day or so and excellent bread crumbs.
Lynne
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2013, 03:12 PM
Thanks Julie. I might have a look at some in town tomorrow & see what I can find.
EmmiS
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2013, 03:31 PM
making it by hand and baking it in the oven really isn't very difficult, and saves the outlay of buying a machine?
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

08-04-2013, 05:52 PM
Originally Posted by EmmiS View Post
making it by hand and baking it in the oven really isn't very difficult, and saves the outlay of buying a machine?
I have a Kenwood Chef which I bought last year to make bead making easier on my arthritic hands.

Bread makers don't have the versatility of a mixer, I make the most wonderful light rolls and bread sticks for the family.

I also found an excellent on line fresh yeast provider too, it comes packed in ice in 40g packets to be frozen.
For me there is no comparison between bread made with fresh yeast and the dry stuff.

Bread sticks which the children love with soup..

Light and fluffy bread rolls...

Norma808
Almost a Veteran
Female 

08-04-2013, 07:45 PM
OH loves his bread maker ,n we must be right greedy beggars ,as wee loafs only last a day so it's used daily
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-04-2013, 10:18 AM
We bought one mainly for the proving element, we don't have anywhere warm enough to allow the bread to rise.
Gellygoo
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2013, 04:16 PM
I've just bought a new one as my last wore out! Until recently I made one and some times two loaves a day, but since we are now down to just the two of us I make a loaf maybe 3 times over the week now. I tend to let it cool, then slice it all and put it into bags and into the freezer.... when it's defrosted in the micro it's just like new. I used to bag 4 slices together with my last machine, but with the new one, the loaf is the other way round (like an old fashioned loaf shape rather than the tall kind of square shape of the old machine) you get more bread per slice so I put 3 together to freeze now. It doesnt keep like bought bread if left out thats for sure.

My OH wouldnt go back to bought bread now and to be honest I definitely like to know exactly whats going into it.
My last macine was a morphy richards fastbake. They've stopped making these and I couldnt get another (although my aunt has just found one with the same name but different shaped machine....I would have bought this had I known before!! My new one is very compact and light, makes a good loaf on the basic setting (3 hours 20 mins from start to taking out) and is a russell hobbs18036. You can choose from 3 size settings and different baking times depending on which type you choose.

I've been making my own bread for years and so far am pleased with this new machine.

Hope you find what you are looking for.
Lynne
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2013, 04:51 PM
I think that Russell Hobbs one was the one I was looking at on Amazon. All the reviews seemed good & the size was what I was looking for as well. Good idea to freeze it ready sliced I hadn't thought of that. Thanks Gill
Rosebud77
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-06-2013, 02:24 PM
I had thought of one way back but had no money then ( or now..) but now one of the small local bakery delivery men saves me day old bread which is free.. I never know what I am going to get.. even spelt honey seeded arrives sometimes. Grand stuff!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >