register for free

Dog News

David Blunkett's beloved guide dog to retire

David Blunkett has paid tribute to his guide dog, Sadie. Sadie has worked with Blunkett for nine years and at almost eleven years of age, she is about to retire. Sadie is to go to the home of a dog lover in Derbyshire and although she will enjoy country walks and cosy firesides, Mr Blunkett has admitted he can barely imagine what life will be without her and that he will miss her terribly.

Describing Sadie as his “left leg”, Mr Blunkett spoke movingly about their years together - all the amazing places they went and people they met, including the Queen. Sadie is his fifth guide dog and he has a new dog ready to take over. The dog is Crosby, a 19-month-old labrador/retriever cross, who despite still having a great deal to learn, will be visiting the commons with David Blunkett today.

Expressing his gratitude to to all six of his guide dogs and the support teams involved with them, including the Guide Dog Association trainers, Mr Blunkett commented:

“Collectively, they have given me the independence, mobility and equality which have been the hallmark of my life And for that I am profoundly grateful.”

Your comments and views:
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-11-2011, 03:35 PM
How sad she has to go elsewhere after 9yrs service. Shame.
samson13
Dogsey Senior
Male 

07-11-2011, 04:54 PM
I agree ! It seems a shame to upset the pup who must be attached to him !
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-11-2011, 06:48 PM
i dont understand why he doesnt want to keep her? id hate to get rid of a dog after having them by their side for 9 years
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-11-2011, 06:53 PM
Could it be that as he is out of the home all day, he doesn't want her to be home alone all the time, especially as he will have another dog to accompany him around?
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-11-2011, 07:02 PM
he has family though doesnt he? just dont think i could part with a dog after 9 years.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-11-2011, 07:24 PM
Well can you imagine if it was a show dog rehomed?
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-11-2011, 07:26 PM
i wouldnt rehome a show dog either....
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-11-2011, 07:27 PM
I guess he is doing the right thing for his circumstances. He is single so doesn't have someone at home to look after the retired guide dog like some guide dog owners have.

I am sure Derbyshire will feel like heaven to the dog after spending so much time in the houses of Parliament.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-11-2011, 07:47 PM
Or could it be, no use, get rid?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Where next?

Dog News Homepage
Latest and popular news, by week, month, year and all-time!

Dog News Forum
Shows dog related news by latest activity

Submit A News Story
Info on how to submit a news story

Latest Dog News...

© Copyright 2016, Dogsey   Contact Us - Dogsey - Top Contact us | Archive | Privacy | Terms of use | Top