register for free

Dog News

Abandoned pets - on the increase

According to animal charities there has been a large increase in the number of pets being abandoned. The recession and cold weather are likely factors.

Battersea Dogs and Cats Home has said it is unable to cope with the numbers arriving and has had to create a waiting list for the first time ever.

Your comments and views:
Lou
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-01-2010, 05:15 PM
I just saw this on TV I also just said to my Hubby, I wish I could take them all.............

It's so sad
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-01-2010, 05:30 PM
It annoys me too,
Easy come,easy go......

Sad very sad
Double Trouble
Dogsey Junior
Female 

16-01-2010, 05:59 PM
Saw it on the TV this morning! reporter said that they can cater for 600 dogs and this is the first time that they have been full to the brim!
Very depressing!
DT
Heather and Zak
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-01-2010, 06:03 PM
It is so sad. I just heard of someone in my sons street that has swapped their Bullmastiff dog for a motorbike. He was such a lovely dog, I just hope he has gone to a better home.
Toby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-01-2010, 06:13 PM
Originally Posted by Heather and Zak View Post
It is so sad. I just heard of someone in my sons street that has swapped their Bullmastiff dog for a motorbike. He was such a lovely dog, I just hope he has gone to a better home.
My god peoaple make me sooooo angry, I too hope he's in a better home!

I'm dog walking volunteer at a shelter, it's so sad, a never ending circle of dogs all needing a new and loving home, a small percentage have been handed in by their owners for a specific reason, but the vast majority by far are strays, just dumped or forgotton about without a care!
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-01-2010, 06:44 PM
I'd been reading something in a local paper about this.

It really annoys me, how people can take on these animals yet they are the first to be kicked out when the going gets rough.

We have felt the pinch since just before Christmas as all of Patrick over time has come to a stand still (well till yesterday first one he;s had) I was talking to him today about this.....do you know what he said..........

We'll starve first before any of these were got rid off.

Thats how it should be
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-01-2010, 06:55 PM
I saw the reporter at Battersea dog's home this morning too, and it made me so sad, and I noticed all the dogs shown were all staffies or staffie x's

We've probably all fallen on hard times, I know we have in the past, and I remember what it was like to have to feed the horse and the dogs before I got any shopping in for us, but we managed and got through, and I can't imagine having ever thought about getting rid of our beloved animals, none of them, ever!
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-01-2010, 07:40 PM
Its very depressing, I have just added nearly 10 dogs to this site in the rescue section, and whilst most of ours are coming from homes, 3 or 4 ended up in kennels just after christmas - it was heartbreaking moving them from a warm home to a kennel block in all that snow.

Its all very sad and not getting any better just getting worse -we have no one calling to rehome these dogs either.
Lizzy23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-01-2010, 07:43 PM
its the same for all rescues, Nessr are full as well, with more waiting in the wings to come in, for the first time ever we are having to put people off, and we don't seem to be rehoming at the same rate either, dogs hanging around means we can't take any more in, and this is springers, i really feel for the staffy rescues they have a thankless task.

I have taken one in today a springador, bought two weeks ago, he's triggered their Asthma so has to go
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Where next?

Dog News Homepage
Latest and popular news, by week, month, year and all-time!

Dog News Forum
Shows dog related news by latest activity

Submit A News Story
Info on how to submit a news story

Latest Dog News...

© Copyright 2016, Dogsey   Contact Us - Dogsey - Top Contact us | Archive | Privacy | Terms of use | Top